Medicating pellets

Pbh

I have a goby in qt who seems to prefer pellets to frozen food. How can I medicate pellets? Do I just add water to the usual scoop of GC and scoop of focus to tablespoon of pellet food?

hikari says to use grain alcohol to medicate pellets
What would folks here suggest?

Also hi, it’s my first post here!

scubabeth

Hi there,, @Pbh! Welcome to the forum! This is a great place to be, and loads of friendly people with good advice for you. :D Unfortunately, while I can wish you a friendly welcome, I've no experience with medicating pellets. I'm sure someone else will be by later to steer you in the right direction, though!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
My recipe for food soaking metro (and prazi) can be found below:

Using a shot glass:
1 scoop (~ 1/8 teaspoon) of medication (Metroplex or General Cure)
1 scoop Seachem Focus (this makes it reef safe)
1 Tbsp food (preferably pellets or frozen food)
A pinch of Epsom salt to help expel dead worms/parasites
A few drops of saltwater or fish vitamins
Stir until a medicated food slurry has been achieved.
Feed after soaking for 30 mins.
Refrigerate or freeze any leftovers for future use.

You can feed this mix 1-2 times per day. Not recommend to exceed 2 feedings per day with medicated food.

Pbh

Thanks Bobby- I’ve read those instructions so many times but never absorbed that pellets were included in them!

As it turns out the goby doesn’t prefer pellets to frozen, he just doesn’t like the taste of GC or fenbendazole, no matter how much selcon and garlic xtreme I add :rolleyes:But he eats a little bit ifnthe
Medicated food and his poop has gone from white and stringy to black and stringy so I take it as a good sign! 🤞

Pbh

Been almost 2 weeks now- goby actually eats the medicated pellets every day. But still seeing stringy white poop- it has some color in it (browns, reds, black) that resembles the colors of what I feed. I hope another week is all it will take (the pellets have fenbendozale and seachem metro btw). But ugh why do these internal parasites take so loooooong!😵

Pbh

Hi @Humblefish I wanted your advice - goby still eats the pellets (they have fenbendazole and metro bound with focus) but his appetite and activity seems to be decreasing and he always has a little white string coming out. It’s been about 2 weeks. He has had internal parasites for at least a month, maybe more (he wouldn’t eat much medicated frozen food which is how I think he stayed sick). Is he likely a goner? Is there anything I can do to help him? I’ve dosed the water with fenbendazole twice at the higher concentration (for flukes). Should I dose again? Is it likely to be flagellates and not worms (I assume he’d be dead if it was flagellates). Am I just being impatient and so I just keep the course for another week and see if he’s cured?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Hi @Humblefish I wanted your advice - goby still eats the pellets (they have fenbendazole and metro bound with focus) but his appetite and activity seems to be decreasing and he always has a little white string coming out. It’s been about 2 weeks. He has had internal parasites for at least a month, maybe more (he wouldn’t eat much medicated frozen food which is how I think he stayed sick). Is he likely a goner? Is there anything I can do to help him? I’ve dosed the water with fenbendazole twice at the higher concentration (for flukes). Should I dose again? Is it likely to be flagellates and not worms (I assume he’d be dead if it was flagellates). Am I just being impatient and so I just keep the course for another week and see if he’s cured?
You could try just food soaking Epsom salt - to give him a break from the meds. I've been reading how sometimes just mag sulfate is enough to clear internal parasites.

Is he getting skinny at all??

Reactions: Pbh

Pbh

Maybe a little skinny again (he’s put weight on since he started eating the medicated food).
Any advice for soaking food in epsom salt?

Pbh

Mmm delicious, ok I will try it. I did add a pinch to the tablespoons of pellets but I will try a pinch per feeding of non-medicated pellets and alternate one medicated and one high Epsom salt feeding for awhile. Thank you for your help

Pbh

Just wondering - could it be from irritation that’s getting exacerbated by the medicated food at this point? Should I try to go a week or a few days with no meds and see?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Just wondering - could it be from irritation that’s getting exacerbated by the medicated food at this point? Should I try to go a week or a few days with no meds and see?
It's possible. As a general rule, if the white stringy poop lasts longer than a week something else (most likely a pathogen) is what's irritating the intestinal lining. So, you could stop the medicated food, wait a week and see what happens.

Reactions: Pbh

Pbh

Still seeing stringy white poop and it’s been about 3 weeks of medicated food (fenbendazole and metro as well as GC soaked food) and fish roe soaked in Epsom salt. :( I’m gonna keep trying but gosh this is annoying! I didn’t see stringy poop for the last 3 or so days but then it’s back this morning. Thegoby has had symptoms since at least earlyJanuary!