IM Meshmez's IM EXT 112

Users who are viewing this thread

This is not only the start of a new tank, but hopefully the resurrection of my time in the hobby. I have recently had some reef keeping woes which dampened my spirits, and I decided what I needed was a new start rather than a restart.

So I ordered an Innovative Marine EXT 112 with APS stand! Originally this wasn't supposed to ship until the end of January, but as of today, ITS HERE! My 150g is still setup and running, so I will take a little time to get the 112 set up and things moved over, but I figured I would start the build thread at ground zero.
20211227_135431.jpg
20211227_135445.jpg
20211227_135622.jpg
20211227_135713.jpg
20211227_135722.jpg

From what I see of it in the crate, the tank looks beautiful! Can't wait to start figuring out an aquascape!

OZ_SPS

Country flag
Yo Ken, what's your road map like? When are you planning to start the setup?
Check with me before u buy something, if I have it I'll pass it on to you.

MeshmeZ

Country flag
Yo Ken, what's your road map like? When are you planning to start the setup?
Check with me before u buy something, if I have it I'll pass it on to you.
Thanks buddy! Really the first step is figuring out how I'm going to do the transfer. Tank is going to go where my current tank sits, and I'm probably going to clean and re use some of the rock. So figuring out the logistics of that may take a while 😂

MeshmeZ

Country flag
Needed a new sump that would fit in the stand, so I ordered a Fiji Cube 30 Advanced Reef Sump. Seemed to be the most bang for the buck, in a size that would fit. Looks like a decently built sump! Leaving it wrapped for now since I'm not ready to install, though I guess I should probably leak test it..
20211229_130149.jpg
20211229_130134.jpg

OZ_SPS

Country flag
Needed a new sump that would fit in the stand, so I ordered a Fiji Cube 30 Advanced Reef Sump. Seemed to be the most bang for the buck, in a size that would fit. Looks like a decently built sump! Leaving it wrapped for now since I'm not ready to install, though I guess I should probably leak test it..
View attachment 52103View attachment 52104
Fine choice

MeshmeZ

Country flag
Looking for suggestions on lighting. The tank footprint is approximately 36"x36" and 20" deep. Ideally I'd probably use 4 smaller lights in a square (xr15s for example) but I have 3 xr30s on my current tank that I would rather not replace. I also have 1 xr15 I could throw in the mix if it made sense.

I'm planning to do softie/lps to start, but I'm sure at some point I'll be back to adding SPS for a mixed reef, so I want to be able to support the whole range of lighting.

Thinking maybe an xr30 parallel to each viewing panel in a U shape? Probably overkill, but I'm not sure just 2 would give good enough coverage. And I already have the lights... Or maybe an xr30 along the sides and the xr15 in front?

OZ_SPS

Country flag
Looking for suggestions on lighting. The tank footprint is approximately 36"x36" and 20" deep. Ideally I'd probably use 4 smaller lights in a square (xr15s for example) but I have 3 xr30s on my current tank that I would rather not replace. I also have 1 xr15 I could throw in the mix if it made sense.

I'm planning to do softie/lps to start, but I'm sure at some point I'll be back to adding SPS for a mixed reef, so I want to be able to support the whole range of lighting.

Thinking maybe an xr30 parallel to each viewing panel in a U shape? Probably overkill, but I'm not sure just 2 would give good enough coverage. And I already have the lights... Or maybe an xr30 along the sides and the xr15 in front?
I would go parallel.
@jhuynh is the radion whisperer lol

MeshmeZ

Country flag
Well, a little disappointed here. Finally got the time to put my stand together. Got halfway though, and realized the stand doesn't have doors on the sides. This is something I confirmed the stand had with IM before placing my order.

So I guess I have to wait till Monday to get a response from them on how to proceed.

MeshmeZ

Country flag
The start of my scape. Obviously a long way from done, but looking for suggestions. Not married to any of this, though I do think the "left" view looks pretty cool and gives lots of room for coral. The left and front views will be most prominent when the tank is up and running. End of tape measure is set to the approximate water level.

Left side view:
20220221_131219.jpg

Left/front corner:
20220221_131234.jpg

Front:
20220221_131301.jpg

Obviously a lot needs filled in still. Trying to decide if I should build a stand alone structure for the back right, tie it in to the left, add more to the front right structure or leave it kinda low.

Flow Plan: is 2 mp40s on back wall, possibly a gyre somewhere...

Lighting: 2x XR 30 parallel to the 2 sides. Possibly a third xr30 across the front, or on xr15.

Planned to be a mixed reef

Last edited:

OZ_SPS

Country flag
The start of my scape. Obviously a long way from done, but looking for suggestions. Not married to any of this, though I do think the "left" view looks pretty cool and gives lots of room for coral. The left and front views will be most prominent when the tank is up and running. End of tape measure is set to the approximate water level.

Left side view:View attachment 58870

Left/front corner:
View attachment 58871

Front:View attachment 58872

Obviously a lot needs filled in still. Trying to decide if I should build a stand alone structure for the back right, tie it in to the left, add more to the front right structure or leave it kinda low.

Flow Plan: is 2 mp40s on back wall, possibly a gyre somewhere...

Lighting: 2x XR 30 parallel to the 2 sides. Possibly a third xr30 across the front, or on xr15.

Planned to be a mixed reef
Looks good so far.
From the start plan ur flow and minimize your dead spots.