Methylene Blue

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Methylene Blue

What It Treats
Healing agent which treats ammonia burn, abrasions, cuts. Mild antiparasitic/antibacterial properties. Will possibly detoxify a fish that has been exposed to cyanide poisoning. Probably one of the best “first response” treatments for a sick fish.

How To TreatComes in both liquid and powder form, sometimes mixed in with another medication (e.g. Nitrofuracin Green Powder). So, follow the directions on the label. Generally used in a 30 minute bath at double dose, but you can also dose it directly into a quarantine tank. Aerate heavily.

Dosing instructions for using 2.303% Methylene Blue solution:

1) 30 min bath (preferred): 1 teaspoon (5 ml) per 5 gallons.

2) In a quarantine tank: 1 teaspoon (5 ml) per 10 gallons every other day for 10 days with water changes before each treatment.

Pros
Highly effective “first response” treatment with minimal risk to fish.

Cons/Side EffectsMethylene Blue can destroy nitrifying bacteria (i.e. your QT biofilter), and will stain plastic, silicone, clothing, your skin, etc.

More info on Methylene Blue: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumMedication3.html#methylene_blue

Jessican

Is it safe to mix methylene blue with chloroquine phosphate? I’d like to do a 30 min MB bath right before I move my fish currently in CP into the clean QT tank, and it would be easiest to just add it straight into the tanks they’re currently in rather than having to set up a separate bath in between.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Is it safe to mix methylene blue with chloroquine phosphate? I’d like to do a 30 min MB bath right before I move my fish currently in CP into the clean QT tank, and it would be easiest to just add it straight into the tanks they’re currently in rather than having to set up a separate bath in between.
You can do a 30 min MB bath before, but I wouldn't mix them. Chloroquine was developed in part from Methylene Blue, so you might be inadvertently raising the concentration of one or the other or both by combining them.

Jessican

You can do a 30 min MB bath before, but I wouldn't mix them. Chloroquine was developed in part from Methylene Blue, so you might be inadvertently raising the concentration of one or the other or both by combining them.
Ah okay. I was hoping to just use the water they’re already in for the bath, right before moving them to the clean QT for observation, but it’ll definitely still have CP in it. I’m running out of things to put fish into for the various baths and treatments 😂

As an alternative, how effective is an MB dip for possible ammonia burn vs a bath? The bottle says that 5 tsp per 3 gal can be used as a 10 second dip, but would that be enough exposure to be effective? It would certainly be a lot easier to do a quick dip before transferring to the clean QT instead of a 30 min bath.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
As an alternative, how effective is an MB dip for possible ammonia burn vs a bath? The bottle says that 5 tsp per 3 gal can be used as a 10 second dip, but would that be enough exposure to be effective? It would certainly be a lot easier to do a quick dip before transferring to the clean QT instead of a 30 min bath.
When I suspect that a fish has ammonia burn, I dose 1 teaspoon (5 ml) per 5 gallons for at least 30 minutes. If it's really bad I leave the fish in the bath for 2-3 hours. The point is to get them to intake the MB into their body (via the gills) to coat their internal organs which helps heal damage caused by ammonia exposure. Basically, if you can do the MB bath not long after the fish has been exposed to ammonia it will help immensely. However, if it is days later then sometimes it's too little, too late. :(

Jessican

When I suspect that a fish has ammonia burn, I dose 1 teaspoon (5 ml) per 5 gallons for at least 30 minutes. If it's really bad I leave the fish in the bath for 2-3 hours. The point is to get them to intake the MB into their body (via the gills) to coat their internal organs which helps heal damage caused by ammonia exposure. Basically, if you can do the MB bath not long after the fish has been exposed to ammonia it will help immensely. However, if it is days later then sometimes it's too little, too late. :(
So the issue is that they’re halfway through CP treatment. If I remove them to do an MB bath, won’t that negate the treatment they’ve been through so far, since they’ll be out of therapeutic CP for at least 30 min?

I’m not certain they have ammonia burn, I’m just seeing very slight redness near the gill area on a couple of the fish (everybody is breathing, swimming, and eating fine, though). Since I originally started with the no bio filter CP protocol, I’m concerned there’s been some ammonia exposure despite adding cycled media, Colony, and Amquel, and doing 50% water changes every other day. They’ll be transferring out of CP this weekend, so I was hoping to do an MB bath then just in case, but it sounds like that likely won’t be helpful by then. :confused: But perhaps I’m worrying about nothing?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
So the issue is that they’re halfway through CP treatment. If I remove them to do an MB bath, won’t that negate the treatment they’ve been through so far, since they’ll be out of therapeutic CP for at least 30 min?
Trophonts won't drop off, encyst and reinfect the fish in just 30 minutes. (It takes at least 48 hours for this to happen.) I sometimes remove a fish from Chloroquine or copper for hours in order to treat with antibiotics. Just use all new water for the bath, and then discard the water + sterilize the bucket & everything post bath treatment.

I’m not certain they have ammonia burn, I’m just seeing very slight redness near the gill area on a couple of the fish (everybody is breathing, swimming, and eating fine, though). Since I originally started with the no bio filter CP protocol, I’m concerned there’s been some ammonia exposure despite adding cycled media, Colony, and Amquel, and doing 50% water changes every other day. They’ll be transferring out of CP this weekend, so I was hoping to do an MB bath then just in case, but it sounds like that likely won’t be helpful by then. :confused: But perhaps I’m worrying about nothing?
Can you post pics, showing the redness near the gills?

Jessican

Trophonts won't drop off, encyst and reinfect the fish in just 30 minutes. (It takes at least 48 hours for this to happen.) I sometimes remove a fish from Chloroquine or copper for hours in order to treat with antibiotics. Just use all new water for the bath, and then discard the water + sterilize the bucket & everything post bath treatment.

Can you post pics, showing the redness near the gills?
Ah right, that makes sense. I hadn’t thought of it that way. I will grab some pics in the morning and will get some new water prepped in case you agree that the MB bath would be helpful.

Jessican

Oh okay. I was going to wait until after CP to start any deworming or antibiotic treatment, but does that look to you like something that needs to be addressed immediately?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Oh okay. I was going to wait until after CP to start any deworming or antibiotic treatment, but does that look to you like something that needs to be addressed immediately?
It doesn't look too serious at the moment, but I would probably start dosing Kanaplex every 48 hours just in case. You can mix Kanaplex with CP, and it is readily absorbable by the fish's skin.

Jessican

It doesn't look too serious at the moment, but I would probably start dosing Kanaplex every 48 hours just in case. You can mix Kanaplex with CP, and it is readily absorbable by the fish's skin.
Great, I will do that. I plan to get them out of CP on Sunday, so that that point, should I add in Metro & Furan-2? Thank you for all of your help :)

Jessican

71C4FF0F-7AF5-4AEE-8456-FE5E254D90DB.jpeg

Better? He’s had two doses of Kanaplex so far and I think the redness has diminished some. One more dose before he moves to the clean tank - should I keep going with just the Kanaplex (10-14 days, right?) or add Metro and Furan-2 at that point?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Better? He’s had two doses of Kanaplex so far and I think the redness has diminished some. One more dose before he moves to the clean tank - should I keep going with just the Kanaplex (10-14 days, right?) or add Metro and Furan-2 at that point?
I would keep going with Kanaplex, and then add in Metro + Furan after he transfers into the clean tank.

mattzang

so i ordered a couple fish from DD and they made it through whatever weather in Milwaukee, Louisville, and Albuquerque all the way to Ontario, CA. Where 20-30 mph winds have defeated UPS and the fish are delayed a day....

Liveaquaria was cool and even called UPS to see if I could just brave the severe weather :rolleyes: and drive to the airport to pick up the fish, but nope. So..

I've never done a methlyene blue bath, but seems one might be worthwhile in this situation (assuming the fish is even still alive).

Plan:

-float for extra long, guessing the fish will be chilly
-MB bath for 30 min?
-then h2o2 bath?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
-float for extra long, guessing the fish will be chilly
-MB bath for 30 min?
-then h2o2 bath?
If the fish are in transit for >24 hours, I would definitely do the MB bath but maybe not expose them H2O2 immediately afterwards. If the gills have ammonia burn then H2O2 will likely just irritate them further (at this time.)