Metro and General Cure

Users who are viewing this thread

adobo

Country flag
Hello,

My first post here. I have two clownfish in a QT. I am using copper power and have just elevated concentrations to 1.5 ppm as per hanna checker.

I am following quarantine procedures as per humblefish quarantine procedures. My question is, according to the procedures, one elevates copper to 2-2.5ppm copper, then add metro. Then after that, one also does a deworming process using something like general cure.

Given that general cure has metro in it, what is the purpose of the original dose of metro prior to moving into the deworming process with general cure?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Country flag
Dosing metro gets a jump on treating Brook & Uronema, if present on the fish. However, since most aquarium medications are only 60-70% active you will need subsequent doses of metro (or General Cure which also contains metro) to completely knock Brook/Uronema out in most cases. Just try to space the dosages out every 48 hours when treating prophylactically, or 24 hours for active infections.

adobo

Country flag
Dosing metro gets a jump on treating Brook & Uronema, if present on the fish. However, since most aquarium medications are only 60-70% active you will need subsequent doses of metro (or General Cure which also contains metro) to completely knock Brook/Uronema out in most cases. Just try to space the dosages out every 48 hours when treating prophylactically, or 24 hours for active infections.

Thanks. I assume the treatment schedule specified in this post can be done while treating with copper power at the same time, correct?

Also, do you have any tips on how to get fish to eat medicated food? My guys are eating - one better than the other - but they shy away from food that has been soaked in medication.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Country flag
Thanks. I assume the treatment schedule specified in this post can be done while treating with copper power at the same time, correct?

Also, do you have any tips on how to get fish to eat medicated food? My guys are eating - one better than the other - but they shy away from food that has been soaked in medication.
It is never ideal to mix medications, but it technically can be done. I mix copper and General Cure on a regular basis.

You can try a drop of garlic in the medicated food to entice a feeding response.