Missing the LFS Scene

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
HF Vendor
Country flag
I don’t know about y’all, but I miss the days of doing the “fish shop hopping” on a Saturday or Sunday. Growing up in the New Orleans area, there must have been a dozen or more shops with SW back in the 80s - 90s. Some I remember:

Aquarium Imports (2 locations)
Silent World
Tropical Encounter
Marc’s Exotic Aquatics
Paradise Pets (out in Laplace)
Fifty Fathoms
Causeway Pets
Rose Garden (2 locations)

^^ Those last 3 LFS are still around, but no longer carry saltwater. And of course, Coral Connection & Aquatic Specialities are still with us from the old days!

Which favorite LFS do you remember??

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
HF Vendor
Country flag
Actually rose garden on Lapalco does have a small saltwater selection. Only ones I've ever heard of are the last 3.
Aquarium Imports had a location in New Orleans (S Jefferson Davis?) and also up the street from Causeway Pets. (I think its a bar now.)

Silent World started out in downtown Gretna, but then moved to Old Metairie.

Tropical Encounter (Woodmere) and Exotic Aquatics (near Chi-Chi’s) were both Westbank shops. I also forgot about that LFS in Terrytown that had some saltwater.

There was also a guy named David who kept opening up various small saltwater shops all over Metairie. And who can forget Rick’s Reef. :censored:

The Gob

Country flag
I don't necessarily miss Marks Marine in BR but there is a nostalgia factor. Owner and most, not all, of the employees were rude and said whatever it took to make a sale but it was the only game in town. I loved going there and buying something totally inappropriate for my first poorly set up tank. Really miss the musty smell for some reason.

Fin

Pro Procrastinator
We don't have any LFS in Lake Charles now. I really miss stopping in on a regular basis and checking out new stock, or stuff that people may have traded in. The one by my house always had cold, free beer in the fridge too. :)

clsanchez77

20 Year Noob
Country flag
I was always loyal to Chip over at Aquatic Specialties. He helped me out when I moved a 55 gallon freshwater tank to Metairie back in the late 90's and was the one who got me into saltwater. Unfortunately, the retail side of his business just is not making it and its now appointments only. I'm just not one to continuously pump money into my tank so I'm not the best customer in that regard. The internet was a game changer.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
HF Vendor
Country flag
I was always loyal to Chip over at Aquatic Specialties. He helped me out when I moved a 55 gallon freshwater tank to Metairie back in the late 90's and was the one who got me into saltwater. Unfortunately, the retail side of his business just is not making it and its now appointments only. I'm just not one to continuously pump money into my tank so I'm not the best customer in that regard. The internet was a game changer.
They were always a little pricey, but also had some very impressive fish.

Ngoodermuth

I have only been to a few besides our local joint (which is not the best quality for fish or corals really, but they do have a big variety of sickly livestock if you are looking for a rehab project, host some of the bigger local swaps, and well 15 mins from home so there’s that)

Besides that one, we have to travel an hour or more to find other actual “shops”. But, we do have a local club with some really cool people to buy/trade frags with and that’s fun too :)

Jim McNamara

Country flag
Live in the Midwest and only ever had a couple small saltwater shops. Very limited too but that was back about 40 years ago. Back then nobody had much close by. Had to go to the big city to see anything worthwhile .when I got involved in salt from fresh water I built most everything I needed .
I owned a small business and contacted a vender On the west coast and was able to purchase wholesale corals and live rock. My plan was to offer the stuff out of my shop. Picked the stuff up at Dayton International Airport. Pretty cool stuff, that live rock. Never knew what would grow on it or be in it. Life intervened though and I eventually had to sell everything . Sad times. Still nothing around close but a Petco.
Jim

Tamberav

Country flag
For most of the time in this hobby I had to order everything online except for the most basic fish Petco had or the mostly FW store would have... as I lived in a small town. I actually get to enjoy the fish shop hopping in Milwaukee as there are several stores to visit although I have my favorites. I find lots of cool stuff here and will miss the fish shopping when I move.

mattzang

Country flag
i went to an lfs for the first time in what must have been 4-5 months yesterday. brand new girl working alone and apparently a fish shipment arrived on the day she was the only one there. i needed me a couple urchins so that was exciting entertainment watching her bag and re-bag them multiple times as they kept poking the tiny bags she kept using.

she was wearing a neck mask, then apologized for not wearing it properly, so she raised it up to cover her chin, but still a bit south of the useful area. but she was nice. :unsure:

fish selection was megapoor, chromis damsels dottybacks clowns was mostly it. shipment looked to be a very bland selection as well, more clowns and damsels, some gobies, the wrong christmas wrasse which quality marine apparently calls the fiji christmas wrasse and a pink margin fairy wrasse

she did tell me the only angel they had in stock was this one *promptly points to a sergeant major damsel* :oops:

phatduckk

Country flag
In my HS days I kept a cichlid tank and would frequent a shop in San Mateo called Fish For You. The owner was the cheeriest guy on the plant - always happy. Me and my friends would go there a few times a week, scope out the fish & ask him to toss some feeder fish in. Sometimes we'd buy stuff.

Years went by; I went to college, graduated etc and finally moved back home. I don't remember why but I stopped again after not going there for at least 5 years... I think I was at the taqueria next door. Anyways, I walk in and the same dude's still behind the counter and he screamed "UC Davis. how have you been?". I was shocked. I was just a scruffy kid with massive pants when I frequented his shop. No clue how or why he remembered me and where I went to college etc.

I miss that dude.