moving fish to a new tank during QT

mattzang

so here's a dumb question (should I just make a catchall thread for all of my dumb questions? :unsure: )

i just got a new shipment of fish, 2 starcki damsels, 1 royal gramma, and 1 christmas wrasse.

i put both starckis and the christmas wrasse in my 20g QT tank and the gramma alone in a 10g tank. i plan on them ramping up along similar schedules and then dosing GC at the same times, so in theory two different tanks, but similarly medicated.

my concern is the two starcki damsels, i'm not sure how they'll do together.. they look pretty similarly sized.

so here's the dumb question of the day, if in a few days i need to remove one of the starckis and put it in the 10g tank with the royal gramma, would i need to reset the clock for that tank?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
So long as both tanks are synchronized (e.g. copper level is the same, prazi is dosed at the same time, etc.) you can transfer fish back and forth between them. The only danger is if one of the fish had a bacterial infection, or some other disease you weren't prophylactically treating for, and that fish spreads the disease to the other tank.

mattzang

yeah I thought about that, hopefully that doesn't happen lol

so far they seem fine, one on each end of the tank. i was just curious what you do in a case like that maybe trying to pair fish or something during QT and the fish decide to not play along

the UPS guy was kind enough to deliver them to my neighbor's house and drop them over a 6 foot tall gate, so that's always nice

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
so far they seem fine, one on each end of the tank. i was just curious what you do in a case like that maybe trying to pair fish or something during QT and the fish decide to not play along
Yeah, for the first few days I'm playing musical chairs in my QTs trying to figure out who all will get along. :p

the UPS guy was kind enough to deliver them to my neighbor's house and drop them over a 6 foot tall gate, so that's always nice
Grrrr.gif

mattzang

hmm christmas wrasse doesn't look good this morning, just laying on the bottom. i haven't medicated anything yet, should i do a freshwater dip or does that just make things worse?

QTing wrasses is really not fun :(

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
hmm christmas wrasse doesn't look good this morning, just laying on the bottom. i haven't medicated anything yet, should i do a freshwater dip or does that just make things worse?

QTing wrasses is really not fun :(
Is he breathing heavy?

And yes, quarantining wrasses & anthias can be a real PITA sometimes. It varies from shipment to shipment. Some do fine, others are a disaster. :eek:

mattzang

doesn't look like breathing heavy really, but just looks really weak. sometimes she's just laying on her side and i'm thinking it's over, then i look at the tank 10 min later and she's sitting upright. she did eat some blackworms so i guess that's good.

i haven't even tested the waters of anthias yet, but wrasses are a real tearing hair out deal. after the china wrasse (who i still worry about even in the DT) my solon fail, and now this character..

mattzang

it's mostly bare bottom with a tupperware of sand, but the china wrasse did a pretty good job of adding some sand to the rest of the tank, but not much. i do have some more sand hanging around, you think just throw a bit around the tank would make it more comfy?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
it's mostly bare bottom with a tupperware of sand, but the china wrasse did a pretty good job of adding some sand to the rest of the tank, but not much. i do have some more sand hanging around, you think just throw a bit around the tank would make it more comfy?
I would spread enough in a corner of the tank for her to burrow. And the rest just add a light layer for a more natural environment.

mattzang

I would spread enough in a corner of the tank for her to burrow. And the rest just add a light layer for a more natural environment.
is that what you do now instead of a tupperware of sand? do they find the mound in the corner of the tank easy enough?

mattzang

hmm, guess that's the route i'll have to go. the wrasse is still not acting well and doesn't seem to swim much at all. i hate to add a bunch of sand and freak it out, but i don't see this working for 2 more weeks like this so guess it'll have to do.

i can't really get a sense of depth from those pics, 1" is enough for a 2-3" inch wrasse? i recently had a scare with my china wrasse when i added it to my dt is why i ask. i've had 2 halichoeres wrasses in my dt for over a year and my sand was plenty deep for them apparently, but night 1 of adding the china wrasse she like.. couldn't bury. she was freaking out so i had to add a couple more inches in a couple parts of the tank, so now i'm paranoid about having enough sand for wrasses lol

mattzang

well no use, she was doing torpedo spirals when she'd swim and died earlier :(

i'll give the sand a whirl before i try another wrasse, though

ColinT

Hey Humblefish, with chloroquine phosphate treatment, do you suggest a sand bottom or is this just for copper? Thanks!

ColinT

Thank you Humblefish. I lost my fish, but I did gain some experience while trying to save him. The best we can do as fish keepers is to learn, gain experience, and equip ourselves to diagnosis and treat our livestock. We can't save every sick fish, but we can make a difference through responsible fish keeping. Thank you for this awesome forum where members are friendly and respectful and open to sharing their methods and experiences with newbies.