Naso Tang Sudden Decline

AndyR83

Way better at fixing people than fish
Country flag
I acquired this Naso 18 days ago. It was happy and healthy at the time of purchase, and I placed it in a small QT cohort (4 compatible fish, all acquired at that time) to begin prophylactic hybrid TTM that same day.

The course of treatment was completely unremarkable until day 16, approximately 48 hours ago. I found the Naso lying on the bottom of the tank breathing rapidly. He looks terrible! The video below was taken moments ago but he has looked this way for 2 full days at this point. I’m wondering if there’s anything else I can try. All other tank mates seem normal as they have been throughout the past few weeks.

What I’ve done so far:
9/17 (arrival day) H2O2 @150ppm x30m

9/20 Tank Transfer, Metroplex 1scp/10g

9/22 Tank Transfer, Metroplex 1scp/10g

9/24 H2O2 @150ppm x30m, Tank Transfer, Metroplex 1scp/10g

9/26 Tank Transfer, PraziPro 9.5mg/gal, Metroplex 2scp/10g

9/28 Tank Transfer, Metroplex 2scp/10g

9/30 Tank Transfer, Metroplex 2scp/10g

10/3 Abrupt decline noted. Rally bath @5ml/g x90m (all 4 QT inhabitants), 100% Water Change

10/4 No change in condition. Methylene Blue @1ml/g x30m (this fish only). 100% Water Change

This picture was taken on 9/27:
7A04962F-F8FB-478B-98FC-3C8FEFFAAA59.jpeg

...and this video was taken moments ago:

Last edited:

AndyR83

Way better at fixing people than fish
Country flag
Unfortunately, in the time it took me to write this post, the fish died. I returned to the tank moments after taking the video to post and found it dead. I attempted to glide it back and forth through the water for a while to ensure good flow over the gills, but to no avail. His color was mottled when I found him (not sure if the term “dependent lividity” applies to fish, but that’s what I’d call it if I saw it in a human patient.)

I’m trying to figure out what there is to learn from this experience. It’s so frustrating to me when things like this happen even though everything seems to have been “done right.” The fish had a good appetite and seemed to be regularly feeding without any issues (nori on a clip, plus Hikari seaweed extreme pellets and frozen cyclopods enriched with Selcon.)

It doesn’t seem especially likely that microscopic exam of anything would be beneficial here, would it? I’ve kept him in water at stable temp until I decide whether there’s anything I want to take a look at.