Naso Tang

Craig

Country flag
@Humblefish Is this crypto on my naso..was in Copper Power for 14 days at 2.5 therapeutic level. Been in black molly observation for 5 days. This morning looked fine, now has these spots.

Attachments

• IMG_3574.jpg
    IMG_3574.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Country flag
It's not crypto, but it could be velvet. :( However, it could also be flukes.

Can you do a 5 min FW dip to verify flukes?

Craig

Country flag
@Humblefish He didn't make it unfortunately. I will fw dip the mollies and tomini that were in with him. Whatever it is got past the 14 days of copper power and the metro/GC rand mediicated food regimen as well.

Last edited:

intense37716

Country flag
@Humblefish He didn't make it unfortunately. I will fw dip the mollies and tomini that were in with him. Whatever it is got past the 14 days of copper power and the metro/GC rand mediicated food regimen as well.
Sorry for your loss

What were you using to measure Cu? I’ve seen an API kit used and was off, my hanna checker will measure a few tenths but I’m guessing that is the tolerance or maybe a difference in getting a different amount of regent in tube

Craig

Country flag
Sorry for your loss

What were you using to measure Cu? I’ve seen an API kit used and was off, my hanna checker will measure a few tenths but I’m guessing that is the tolerance or maybe a difference in getting a different amount of regent in tube
@Humblefish Thank you, we were in the home stretch, and thought we were almost there, just goes to show, despite all of our best efforts things can still go wrong. I used my Hanna Cu checker, gradually took 7 days to go from 1.0 to 2.5 then maintained for 14 days from then at 2.5 and pulled to observation tank, I've always done 30 days, he unfortunately went downhill fast, was in the molly tank for 5 days first 4 seemed unchanged final day checked when I got up all seemed fine then checked again about an hour later, was when I took the picture he was acting very lethargic. Although ever since the switch from copper to clean water I had a hunch he wasn't eating as well, still saw him eat but not as eagerly, which seemed odd. But food was always gone.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Country flag
@Humblefish Thank you, we were in the home stretch, and thought we were almost there, just goes to show, despite all of our best efforts things can still go wrong. I used my Hanna Cu checker, gradually took 7 days to go from 1.0 to 2.5 then maintained for 14 days from then at 2.5 and pulled to observation tank, I've always done 30 days, he unfortunately went downhill fast, was in the molly tank for 5 days first 4 seemed unchanged final day checked when I got up all seemed fine then checked again about an hour later, was when I took the picture he was acting very lethargic. Although ever since the switch from copper to clean water I had a hunch he wasn't eating as well, still saw him eat but not as eagerly, which seemed odd. But food was always gone.
It seems like something slipped through. Do you still have the body? If so, drop it in freshwater (tap is fine) just to see if any flukes turn white and dislodge.

Craig

Country flag
Sorry for your loss

What were you using to measure Cu? I’ve seen an API kit used and was off, my hanna checker will measure a few tenths but I’m guessing that is the tolerance or
It's not crypto, but it could be velvet. :( However, it could also be flukes.

Can you do a 5 min FW dip to verify flukes?

maybe a difference in getting a different amount of regent in tube
So did the fw dip with the tomini, the dip went well, see no sign of flukes, however he did lose a few scales into the bucket, and upon reintroduction to the qt, his stomach immediately bloated and he stopped breathing, so, unfortunately didn't end well, either. Hate these type of losses in the hobby, that being said, skipping qt is never an option in my mind.

Craig

Country flag
It seems like something slipped through. Do you still have the body? If so, drop it in freshwater (tap is fine) just to see if any flukes turn white and dislodge.
@Humblefish I did put it in my garbage wrapped in a plastic bag, but for the sake of research I can get it out, did do a fw dip with the tomini and no signs of flukes from him, but they did come from different places, so I'll do it for curiosity, if it is still a feasible test.

Last edited:

Craig

Country flag
@Humblefish I did put it in my garbage wrapped in a plastic bag, but for the sake of research I can get it out, did do a fw dip with the tomini and no signs of flukes from him, but they did come from different places, so I'll do it for curiosity, if it is still a feasible test.
@Humblefish Definitely loaded with flukes, I have never seen so many, even after being out of water for almost 24 hours on the fw dip with the Naso body the entire container was covered in them.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Country flag
@Humblefish Definitely loaded with flukes, I have never seen so many, even after being out of water for almost 24 hours on the fw dip with the Naso body the entire container was covered in them.
Had the fish been dewormed externally by dosing the water with Prazipro or General Cure? Just trying to figure out if flukes survived either one of those.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Country flag
So did the fw dip with the tomini, the dip went well, see no sign of flukes, however he did lose a few scales into the bucket, and upon reintroduction to the qt, his stomach immediately bloated and he stopped breathing, so, unfortunately didn't end well, either. Hate these type of losses in the hobby, that being said, skipping qt is never an option in my mind.
I'm sorry for your losses. :(

Just a FYI; There are other QT options than treating with copper:

Craig

Country flag
Had the fish been dewormed externally by dosing the water with Prazipro or General Cure? Just trying to figure out if flukes survived either one of those.
@Humblefish Yes general cure twice 6 days apart followed the metroplex every other day then sub it out for GC 6 days apart. Also the soaked food for internal. I've never had issues in the past not sure what happened on this round, only thing I did differently was I only did the 14 days and then to the black molly observation, and General Cure is new for me, I've always used prazi pro prior to copper unless ich or velvet was present, but I like the idea of the GC powder as compared to prazipro.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Country flag
@Humblefish Yes general cure twice 6 days apart followed the metroplex every other day then sub it out for GC 6 days apart. Also the soaked food for internal. I've never had issues in the past not sure what happened on this round, only thing I did differently was I only did the 14 days and then to the black molly observation, and General Cure is new for me, I've always used prazi pro prior to copper unless ich or velvet was present, but I like the idea of the GC powder as compared to prazipro.
Sounds like you've encountered prazi resistant flukes. Two options below for dealing with these:

Fenbendazole: https://humble.fish/fenbendazole/

Hyposalinity: https://humble.fish/hyposalinity/