Need to get this Cuban Hog to eat

Badilac

Country flag
OK so I’m still trying to get this hog to eat that I picked up on Wednesday evening. It came straight from the supplier and looks healthy. I did a peroxide dip and then put it in the QT tank. I’ve tried LRS and San Fran mysis, with no luck. Today I picked up some live ghost shrimp and I think he ate two of those. I was going to treat with copper should that still be my course of action? Or TTM? Not wanting to treat with CP at all so I say that’s out. There are no live worms anywhere around here or I would try that. Anyone want to ship me some? I have clams on half shells also but haven’t tried that yet.

Attachments

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
HF Vendor
Country flag
I would get him eating first before beginning any treatments. How big is he? You might need to try some feeder guppies or shrimp to get him going. They like to hunt live food.

I've also had luck feeding those little glass snails (freshwater) or even worms out of the backyard.

You can also try that clam, mussels, shrimp, and squid.

Badilac

Country flag
I would get him eating first before beginning any treatments. How big is he? You might need to try some feeder guppies or shrimp to get him going. They like to hunt live food.

I've also had luck feeding those little glass snails (freshwater) or even worms out of the backyard.

You can also try that clam, mussels, shrimp, and squid.
He’s 4”. He eats the live ghost shrimp that I bought but he takes his time eating them. He didn’t touch the clam. I’ll have to try a few other things you listed above.

Last edited:

clsanchez77

20 Year Noob
Country flag
I would just keep supplying the live shrimp and let him set the pace. I agree, I would not do any medications right now. If he is not eating, he will not survive them. I would not expect a fresh caught hog to eat frozen food, of any kind. They are hunters and he will have to be trained. For fish this size, I think you need to be looking at krill, not mysis. San Fransico Bay Brand sells two Plankton products. The Reef Plankton is calanus and will be useless to you. The other is a smaller krill and I think is where you want to start with frozen foods. Far better for this fish than mysis.

Badilac

Country flag
I drove to about 6 different petsmart’s today in order to buy ghost shrimp and I found a total of 7! This sucks! I need more live food. I can’t afford guppies at 2.99 each. I also went to one petco.

Last edited:

clsanchez77

20 Year Noob
Country flag
I drove to about 6 different petsmart’s today in order to buy ghost shrimp and I found a total of 7! This sucks! I need more live food. I can’t afford guppies at 2.99 each. I also went to one petco.
I agree, guppies are not all that good for him either. Have you thought about breeding grass shrimp. Much like a brine shrimp breeder, just a tad bigger. You can just feed them the skimmate lol

Badilac

Country flag
Have you thought about breeding grass shrimp. Much like a brine shrimp breeder, just a tad bigger. You can just feed them the skimmate lol
Yes my son was looking it up yesterday. He was wanting to do it but I'm hoping I don't need to do it as It will take 30 days or more to even get hatchlings. I'm hoping I wont need to feed him live food in 30 days. The using of Skimmate to feed it a great idea though as I didnt think to use that.

clsanchez77

20 Year Noob
Country flag
What about live adult brine shrimp? would those be good to buy to feed him? I cant get those shipped pretty cheap.

That may be good to entice him with the activity, but brine shrimp are nutritionally poor. I saw in the link they are gut loaded, but you have to feed them ASAP and they don't stay gut loaded when live. Think of it this way, I was gut loaded when I went to bed last night :D

Badilac

Country flag
But yes, do it. Just to see if you can get him to eat.
I would buy live saltwater grass shrimp from them but the overnight shipping would make it $125 for 250 of them. I honestly dont want to spend double what I paid for the fish just in food and purchasing in smaller quanities just doesnt make sense.

clsanchez77

20 Year Noob
Country flag
There is also this option:

Get some peppermint shrimp and house them with the hogfish. Since they are saltwater, they will live much longer and the hogfish will eventually eat them. After all, they are colored like a peppermint/candy cane. A decade ago, I had a clan of peppermints in a 90 with chromis and they eventually formed a breeding harem. Once a week, the larvae were released and my LPS fed like crazy.

This has given me an idea for a peppermint shrimp reactor, but I have never actually tried to build it. I imagine it as a cryptic fuge with red LED lighting. The shrimp need access to detritus for food and will not breed in the presence of predators. To harvest the larvae, the drain should be located near the top and they will be swept out as they are released as free swimmers.

Badilac

Country flag
Well I threw the last 4 ghost shrimp in today and some San Fran Mysis and he was eating the Mysis. He is a slow eater but over the course of 2 hrs or so he ate everything I put in there except the Ghost shrimp lol. I don’t call it a success story yet as I would like to see him ferociously eating the food. Plus I want to get him on LRS. Baby steps I guess.

Last edited: