New reefer QT question

JaykS

Country flag
Hey everyone,
I have a question about my QT. It’s been cycling for 2 weeks now using Brightwells method, their ammonia source and Microbacter Start XLM. I have been testing everyday Ammonia, Nitrite as well as using my seachem ammonia badge. For a week now my badge has been saying safe levels, or yellow and my Nitrite salifert tests have been saying 0.1 Nitrite.

I just came across Humblefish thread on Reef2Reef about dos and fonts of QT and one was to only worry about ammonia not Nitrate or even Nitrite.

With nitrite being so low, plus not needing to worry about it per say, am I at a point with it that I can water change and get the first fish into QT?

Thanks for any input!

35ppt

Comrad Snowflake
Country flag
Nitrite is not harmful to marine fish at the levels commonly found during an initial cycle. So the only test I would do is add enough ammonia to bring the water to 2ppm ammonia content then wait 24 hours and then test for ammonia. If there is no ammonia present in the tank after 24 hours then it is ready for one or two small fish to be added.

JaykS

Country flag
Nitrite is not harmful to marine fish at the levels commonly found during an initial cycle. So the only test I would do is add enough ammonia to bring the water to 2ppm ammonia content then wait 24 hours and then test for ammonia. If there is no ammonia present in the tank after 24 hours then it is ready for one or two small fish to be added.
Should I water change then do this test?

Salmo Si

Country flag
You cannot adequately monitor a tank cycle with a seachem alert badge. It only reacts to the concentration of free ammonia.

You could still have significant amounts of total ammonia present with it showing nothing. A rise in pH could change any ammonium (NH4) to NH3 and cause an issue for your fish.

To monitor a cycle you need to use a test kit which returns a result for total ammonia. Once this is at 0 you can consider your tank to be cycled.

JaykS

Country flag
Update on my QT, I am day 4 after adding my juvenile Kole tang to the qt, so far so good.

He entered into the tank at 1ppm copper (copper power) and over the days I have slowly increased copper after visually watching him eat. Now he is in 2ppm copper, very active, picking at the glass, pvc and aggressively eating. All I can say is I’m happy it’s going so smoothly so far!

unfortunately here in Canada all fish medications are illegal to sell by any store (including copper), and vets don’t deal with fish. I was however lucky enough to find some copper power on amazon and it cleared the border and is now in my possession. I haven’t been able to find metro, I have found focus but haven’t bought it.

My qt weapons are copper power, Hanna checker, selcon, Brightwell garlic, prime.

thanks you all on this forum for the information available!

Salmo Si

Country flag
Update on my QT, I am day 4 after adding my juvenile Kole tang to the qt, so far so good.

He entered into the tank at 1ppm copper (copper power) and over the days I have slowly increased copper after visually watching him eat. Now he is in 2ppm copper, very active, picking at the glass, pvc and aggressively eating. All I can say is I’m happy it’s going so smoothly so far!

unfortunately here in Canada all fish medications are illegal to sell by any store (including copper), and vets don’t deal with fish. I was however lucky enough to find some copper power on amazon and it cleared the border and is now in my possession. I haven’t been able to find metro, I have found focus but haven’t bought it.

My qt weapons are copper power, Hanna checker, selcon, Brightwell garlic, prime.

thanks you all on this forum for the information available!
Over in the UK we also cannot buy Metro off-the-shelf. We can get a vet to prescribe it, if we can find a good one and are prepared to take the fish to them and pay the price. Very rarely does this actually happen.

I have though managed to purchase metronidazole tablets for treating a certain medical condition that affects only ladies! This involves filling in a questionnaire regarding your supposed condition so that it can be approved by the pharmacist that works for the company. Perhaps this may be possible in Canada?

JaykS

Country flag
Over in the UK we also cannot buy Metro off-the-shelf. We can get a vet to prescribe it, if we can find a good one and are prepared to take the fish to them and pay the price. Very rarely does this actually happen.

I have though managed to purchase metronidazole tablets for treating a certain medical condition that affects only ladies! This involves filling in a questionnaire regarding your supposed condition so that it can be approved by the pharmacist that works for the company. Perhaps this may be possible in Canada?
Interesting, I may have to look into that and try and convince my S/O to fill it out lol
Thank you!

Salmo Si

Country flag
Interesting, I may have to look into that and try and convince my S/O to fill it out lol
Thank you!
You're welcome.

I made the mistake of using my wife's details, which really annoyed her when she started getting emails about this particular delivery and the reason she was receiving it!

I would recommend setting up an email account in a ladies name which is similar to your own (same surname) . That way your email address doesn't raise eyebrows with the pharmacist, and the postman doesn't have an issue dropping it through your door.