NFG Side Effects

Eholceker

My first time using it as I have a scribbled rabbit that developed tail rot while being treated with cupramine. Fish was still eating and transferred on day 14 to a sterile QT tank. Started NFG powder and the fish stopped eating? Is this normal?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Started NFG powder and the fish stopped eating? Is this normal?
Not at all. I dose NFG A LOT and it is actually one of the mildest ABX concoctions I have ever used. It just can take 10-14 days sometimes for the fish to start healing.

What Cu level did you treat at for 14 days? Have you dewormed the fish yet? Some rabbitfish I've been getting in lately have been loaded with flukes.

Eholceker

Not at all. I dose NFG A LOT and it is actually one of the mildest ABX concoctions I have ever used. It just can take 10-14 days sometimes for the fish to start healing.

What Cu level did you treat at for 14 days? Have you dewormed the fish yet? Some rabbitfish I've been getting in lately have been loaded with flukes.
Treated with cupramine at .5 for 14 days. On day 5 the fish developed tail rot so treated with kanaplex and furan2 on days 6 through 14. Transferred the fish on day 14 to a clean QT and started dosing NFG. When I first got the fish I treated with Prazi and GC and when I transferred tanks I gave it a FWD and no flukes in the bucket.

Eholceker

I actually also started dosing melafix prior to deciding on the NFG. Is it possible this is from.the melafix? I know the fish would kind of go crazy after I dosed it.

Eholceker

Melafix is herbal (tea tree oil) so that shouldn't have caused appetite suppression. Have you tried nori on a clip??
This Rabbitfish was never really to fond of nori on a clip. I always keep a peice in the tank 24/7. It has been eating ogo rubberbanded to a rock and all types of frozen and pellets. It did take a few small swipes of the ogo hut nothing meaningful. Super bummed as it took my literally 5 months to find this fish.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
This Rabbitfish was never really to fond of nori on a clip. I always keep a peice in the tank 24/7. It has been eating ogo rubberbanded to a rock and all types of frozen and pellets. It did take a few small swipes of the ogo hut nothing meaningful. Super bummed as it took my literally 5 months to find this fish.
Hopefully he starts eating soon... Have you tried soaking his food with garlic? To entice a feeding response.

Eholceker

Hopefully he starts eating soon... Have you tried soaking his food with garlic? To entice a feeding response.
Tried garlic and no luck. It's still pretty active so hoping it's only temporary. Can Prime be dosed with NFG? In case I get a small ammonia spike from dumping all types of food I just want to be prepared.

Eholceker

Yes; I do it all the time when I get in a pinch and can't perform a water change.
Do you think maybe the fish can be stressed from all the meds and maybe it would be better for the time being in med free water. The fin rot hasn't progressed so maybe just good water and diet will be enough to fix it.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Do you think maybe the fish can be stressed from all the meds and maybe it would be better for the time being in med free water. The fin rot hasn't progressed so maybe just good water and diet will be enough to fix it.
It's possible. Just like with humans, some fish are overly sensitive to medications. We are always quick to say this fish should act a certain way because that's what lines up with what we know about that particular species. But we forget that like us, these fish are all unique individuals.

So yeah, putting him in some clean water (no meds) might be worth a shot.

Eholceker

It's possible. Just like with humans, some fish are overly sensitive to medications. We are always quick to say this fish should act a certain way because that's what lines up with what we know about that particular species. But we forget that like us, these fish are all unique individuals.

So yeah, putting him in some clean water (no meds) might be worth a shot.
So the fish is eating again. Not as good as previously but its grazing all day on fresh macro and had a few peices of mysis this morning. In terms of the fin rot what is the best way to handle? It hasn't gotten worse but hasn't really started to improve. Can it fully recover without antibiotics?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
So the fish is eating again. Not as good as previously but its grazing all day on fresh macro and had a few peices of mysis this morning. In terms of the fin rot what is the best way to handle? It hasn't gotten worse but hasn't really started to improve. Can it fully recover without antibiotics?
I'd soak vitamins in the mysis + macro, and see if the fish's immune system can overcome the infection naturally. With or without antibiotics, it needs to be eating in order to heal. If the fin rot starts looking worse I would resume antibiotic treatment after the fish has gotten at least a few days of good meals. Maybe try a different antibiotic such as Erythromycin or Neomycin. I have a butterfly that wasn't getting any better in NFG, but now seems to be turning around after just a couple of days in Neoplex (Neomycin).

Eholceker

I'd soak vitamins in the mysis + macro, and see if the fish's immune system can overcome the infection naturally. With or without antibiotics, it needs to be eating in order to heal. If the fin rot starts looking worse I would resume antibiotic treatment after the fish has gotten at least a few days of good meals. Maybe try a different antibiotic such as Erythromycin or Neomycin. I have a butterfly that wasn't getting any better in NFG, but now seems to be turning around after just a couple of days in Neoplex (Neomycin).
It seemed to handle kanaplex pretty good but I was dosing it while.in copper so I know its effectiveness was likely limited. Do you think it's a good choice to try again.

Eholceker

@Humblefish. So the fish grew back most of the fins but it's not really doing well in QT. Eating is intermittent and just seems stressed racing up the side of the glass. Are there some statistics on fallow periods as to what is the likelihood of ick still being in the main display after 45 or 60 days? I may have to end this early if I went the fish to live. The tank has been fishless since 9/5.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
@Humblefish. So the fish grew back most of the fins but it's not really doing well in QT. Eating is intermittent and just seems stressed racing up the side of the glass. Are there some statistics on fallow periods as to what is the likelihood of ick still being in the main display after 45 or 60 days? I may have to end this early if I went the fish to live. The tank has been fishless since 9/5.
After 45 days fallow, you should be good except for this one oddball strain of Ich.

Years ago Steve wrote this which lays out the fallow statistics: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2388421

Eholceker

After 45 days fallow, you should be good except for this one oddball strain of Ich.

Years ago Steve wrote this which lays out the fallow statistics: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2388421
This is really helpful. It's a good thing I didnt transfer the fish last night. Woke up this morning and one of my Randall's Assessors has these white spots all on its side. Looks ick like but not sure how that's possible. What do you think?

Attachments