Question of the Day Nutrients.... Do you Export them?

Users who are viewing this thread

saf1

Country flag
Yes, a bit. Skimmer. Water changes when I remember although it is usually once a month. I'm not an expert here but I do not believe water changes are a good form of exporting nutrients based on total water volume and what we replace. So I'll say skimmer is my main method of exporting things it does. I am trying a wetter skimmate this month to see how it goes.

I've had a bout of cyano going for a few months now and not really sure what it is related to. Could be side effect of high phosphates (.24 ppm) or too low of nitrate (2 ppm). Or possibly related to my initial dosing / switch to TM AFR. It comes and goes but is always present so as a test I decided to try and bring down my phosphate just a bit. I'm using TM Elimi-NP and will see if that does anything. I could use phosphate rx which will bring it down quickly but wanted to try something slower first.

Since you mentioned the Oceamo analysis:

Salinity is 33.4 (Hanna, Miluakee, and plastic swing arm for me report 35 ppt)
Alk, Ca, and Mg matched my Trident interesting enough - this was nice
Low Fluoride, Molybdenum, Rubidium - recommended dose to increase over x days
High phosphate / slightly elevated

Badilac

Country flag
Yes, a bit. Skimmer. Water changes when I remember although it is usually once a month. I'm not an expert here but I do not believe water changes are a good form of exporting nutrients based on total water volume and what we replace. So I'll say skimmer is my main method of exporting things it does. I am trying a wetter skimmate this month to see how it goes.

I've had a bout of cyano going for a few months now and not really sure what it is related to. Could be side effect of high phosphates (.24 ppm) or too low of nitrate (2 ppm). Or possibly related to my initial dosing / switch to TM AFR. It comes and goes but is always present so as a test I decided to try and bring down my phosphate just a bit. I'm using TM Elimi-NP and will see if that does anything. I could use phosphate rx which will bring it down quickly but wanted to try something slower first.

Since you mentioned the Oceamo analysis:

Salinity is 33.4 (Hanna, Miluakee, and plastic swing arm for me report 35 ppt)
Alk, Ca, and Mg matched my Trident interesting enough - this was nice
Low Fluoride, Molybdenum, Rubidium - recommended dose to increase over x days
High phosphate / slightly elevated
I got 33.0 my Milwaukee said 1.025 so reading higher than test results (like yours).
Alk, Ca were very very close to my Trident. Mag was about 50 off (trident read low).
undetectable Chromium, Cobalt, Iron, Iodine, mangense, zinc.
low Fluoride, potassium
very low Molybdenum
Very high tin (need to figure this out. says leached by plastic and tubing)
high phosphate and Nitrate.

I run a big skimmer, and all water runs through a 20 micron filter (roller mat) it rolls all the poop out of the water every few hours. I currently run no reactors, I do run a big fuge (24 gallons) also. The only water changes I do are pull water from DT to fill QT tanks. So when I do a WC in a QT tank it changes water in my DT.

Last edited:

OZ_SPS

Country flag
Every system have some form of export....some biological (bacteria, fugs) and some mechanical (skimmer, filters..etc)
Depending on what you want to tackle, solution might differ. As an example, if po4 is what you trying to lower, GFO and rowphos are very effective. If no3 is your issue, skimming, fugs and carbon dosing can be the solution.

Most important in my opinion is th balance. Build your system, your habits and your live stock to achieve a good balance between import and export so you do not need to treat one element over the other and end up chasing numbers..
You do that by moving slow, testing frequently so you see the impact of one thing at a time, keep up with husbandry, wc and mindful feeding.
Whenever you want to target nutrients try to find root cause, then plan a fundamental solution. Example :if you are struggling with high nutrients, look in to your feeding habits, the size and effectiveness of your mechanical filtration (is your skimmer right size? Would you benefit from a pre filter? Is skimmer running efficiently..etc)
Finally, one thing that can be overlooked is return flow rate..if you have sump where you have your mechanical filtration and fug, your nutrients export is as good as your flow rate. If your return flow rate is less than your skimmer or reactor flowrate, you are not filtering effectively..many pumps out there collaps against head pressure(especially DC pumps) so do not overlook your flow rate.

Last edited:

Alcatraz

Country flag
I got 33.0 my Milwaukee said 1.025 so reading higher than test results (like yours).
Alk, Ca were very very close to my Trident. Mag was about 50 off (trident read low).
undetectable Chromium, Cobalt, Iron, Iodine, mangense, zinc.
low Fluoride, potassium
very low Molybdenum
Very high tin (need to figure this out. says leached by plastic and tubing)
high phosphate and Nitrate.

I run a big skimmer, and all water runs through a 20 micron filter (roller mat) it rolls all the poop out of the water every few hours. I currently run no reactors, I do run a big fuge (24 gallons) also. The only water changes I do are pull water from DT to fill QT tanks. So when I do a WC in a QT tank it changes water in my DT.
How often do you have to change the roller mat?

mattzang

Country flag
i tried to go overboard with export because i really like to feed. possibly to a problematic level :D

so i have an efficient skimmer (tunze 9410) tunze claims it's good for up to like 300 gallons, but i think that's optimistic.. but it does skim really well

and i have a santa monica rain 2 algae turf scrubber. this thing was chugging along with weekly cleaings, but my crappy icecap pump apparently died a couple weeks ago (or just got clogged). so the algae dried out. i have a sicce pump now so i'll be getting that going again soon enough. with like 25 fish in my tank and heavy feeding i had < .1 po4 so i think that was the main thing that was helping

and i don't use mechanical filtration (filter socks or floss or anything of that sort) if the skimmer and ats don't get it, hopefully the pods do

OZ_SPS

Country flag
Oh forgot to give details on what I am using personally.
On the display tank:
My echanical filtration is :
- bubble king double cone skimmer 200
- Disposable pre filter foams on the drain that I change every 3 days
- Activated carbon (passive, bag in sump)
on needed basis rowphos(very effective media and need to be used with care)
- zeolits im reactor (as part of the zeovit) which is suppose to take out ammonia and provide surface area for bacteria.

Bio filtration: zeovit carbon dosing+bac additives

For the frag tank:
Mechanical filtration :
-Skimmer, IM mini skimmer
-Activated carbon (passive in high flow area)
- pre filter foam on the drain

Bio filtration:
ATI carbon dosing (C, P, N)
Biodigest bacterial additive (every 14 days)

Nutrients level i keep for both systems are
N 0.5 to 5ppm
P 0.04 To 0.06ppm

Attachments

• 20210405_143757.jpg
    20210405_143757.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210405_143804.jpg
    20210405_143804.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210405_143806.jpg
    20210405_143806.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210405_143811.jpg
    20210405_143811.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210405_143831.jpg
    20210405_143831.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210405_143835.jpg
    20210405_143835.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Colin_S

Country flag
Skimmer
Algae Turf Scrubber
Nitrate Reactor
GFO
33% Water change every 2months

I do suffer from high nitrates and phosphates, possibly from slightly over feeding.. This manages to keep it around No3 25ppm and po4 0.1. I'm thinking of getting a better skimmer. My target is no3 1-5pmm and po4 0.05 - 0.1.

going forward I would love to try a planted tank as a refugium/sump as my only nutrients export

Badilac

Country flag
Oh forgot to give details on what I am using personally.
On the display tank:
My echanical filtration is :
- bubble king double cone skimmer 200
- Disposable pre filter foams on the drain that I change every 3 days
- Activated carbon (passive, bag in sump)
on needed basis rowphos(very effective media and need to be used with care)
- zeolits im reactor (as part of the zeovit) which is suppose to take out ammonia and provide surface area for bacteria.

Bio filtration: zeovit carbon dosing+bac additives

For the frag tank:
Mechanical filtration :
-Skimmer, IM mini skimmer
-Activated carbon (passive in high flow area)
- pre filter foam on the drain

Bio filtration:
ATI carbon dosing (C, P, N)
Biod digest bacterial additive (every 14 days)

Nutrients level i keep for both systems are
N 0.5 to 5ppm
P 0.04 To 0.06ppm
Very nice thanks for the details.

Badilac

Country flag
Skimmer
Algae Turf Scrubber
Nitrate Reactor
GFO
33% Water change every 2months

I do suffer from high nitrates and phosphates, possibly from slightly over feeding.. This manages to keep it around No3 25ppm and po4 0.1. I'm thinking of getting a better skimmer. My target is no3 1-5pmm and po4 0.05 - 0.1.

going forward I would love to try a planted tank as a refugium/sump as my only nutrients export
Thanks for the details. I definitely over feed. I feed 4 times a day with Cobalt pellets (small size and small quantities). Feed once per day LRS frozen and feed 1-2 sheets of nori daily. But I do have a lot of big 🐷 🐠

Colin_S

Country flag
I feed,
breakfast - clams or white worms. with nori and grazing disc every 2 days. Still cultivating white worms, not multiplying quick enough
lunch - A cocktail Ocean Nutrition flakes on a auto feeder
dinner - A cube of my homemade food.

the reason I feed this much is for my 3 anthias, out of 12 fish lol... I believe Anthias requires multiple feeding. So far they are all good and have had them for around 8 months.