Old tenant moving out, new tenant moving in.

Users who are viewing this thread

adobo

Country flag
I have a clownfish getting ready to exit a medicated quarantine tank (copper power for 30 days, 11 days of metro, 2 treatments of GC). He will be going to a freshly cycled observation tank. I am thinking of bringing in some new fish that will be eventual tank mates of the clownfish in the display tank. Of course, the new fish will also go through the same quarantine procedure. My question is, can I use the medicated quarantine tank without nuking it first?

I was thinking of doing a 100% water change and then adding copper power back to 1ppm before introducing the new tenant. The quarantine tank has a hob filter that has bio media (seachem matrix). Also, there are some rubble and sand in the quarantine tank. Is there a danger that there are parasites in the quarantine tank that can only be rid off by nuking the tank?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Country flag
I was thinking of doing a 100% water change and then adding copper power back to 1ppm before introducing the new tenant. The quarantine tank has a hob filter that has bio media (seachem matrix). Also, there are some rubble and sand in the quarantine tank. Is there a danger that there are parasites in the quarantine tank that can only be rid off by nuking the tank?
^^ This should work fine. There is a chance of tomonts surviving in the HOB, rubble, sand, etc. so you'll want to raise the Cu level to at least 1.5 ppm within the first 24-48 hours. I would completely break down and sterilize the QT + all equipment after 2 - 3 months of use.