ORA Variegated urchin

Users who are viewing this thread

BayAreaReef21

Country flag
Anyone else have these guys? I had gotten one with an ASD order awhile back and liked them so much ended up getting a couple more. I feel that they stay on the smaller side and really get in the nooks and crannies. Definitely smaller than the tuxedos I had in my last tank. Not the most colorful but cool little urchins
20220611_134215.jpg

Jon from TerraReef

Aquaculture and Aquarium services professional
Quarantined Livestock
Vendor
Country flag
I had a number of the ORA Variegated Urchin (Lytechinus variegatus). I never had any issues with them and if I couldn't get the Tuxedo I would probably get more.(though QT would be extremely lengthy because they come from systems filled with aiptasia, bubble algae, and more.)

I am pretty sure Tuxedo Mespilia cf globulus and Mespilia globulus get about the same size maxing out around 3". Which species can get into smaller spaces I think it just going to be a function of what size is currently available. With Chad Vossen's Urchins being more frequently available recently I suspect they may be easier to find in smaller sizes. (ORA did both species in the past, but I am not sure they were often available)

BayAreaReef21

Country flag
I had a number of the ORA Variegated Urchin (Lytechinus variegatus). I never had any issues with them and if I couldn't get the Tuxedo I would probably get more.(though QT would be extremely lengthy because they come from systems filled with aiptasia, bubble algae, and more.)

I am pretty sure Tuxedo Mespilia cf globulus and Mespilia globulus get about the same size maxing out around 3". Which species can get into smaller spaces I think it just going to be a function of what size is currently available. With Chad Vossen's Urchins being more frequently available recently I suspect they may be easier to find in smaller sizes. (ORA did both species in the past, but I am not sure they were often available)
Great info. Thanks