Peroxide (H2O2) dosing for parasites in reef tank

Users who are viewing this thread

David Willis

Active member
Country flag
Do you need to measure the peroxide ppm or just use the recommended dosage of 1ml/5g every 12 then 8 hours? If you do need to, How do you measure peroxide ppm? Is there a tester like Hanna for copper? Do you shut off protein skimmers while treating? Is peroxide dosing effective against bacterial diseases? `thx
You don't need to measure the peroxide ppm, but it is nice to have the ability to test in case something goes wrong. I use this kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N49KQLQ/?tag=humblefish-20

I think there is a link for humble.fish affiliate link

I don't turn off my protein skimmer, but I don't think it does much for bacterial diseases..?
 

Flame2hawk

Member
Country flag
You don't need to measure the peroxide ppm, but it is nice to have the ability to test in case something goes wrong. I use this kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N49KQLQ/?tag=humblefish-20

I think there is a link for humble.fish affiliate link

I don't turn off my protein skimmer, but I don't think it does much for bacterial diseases..?
Thx. Interesting because over the counter it is sold as an anti bacteria treatment. Is it the water dilution that makes in ineffective in fighting bacteria?
 

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Location
Navarre, FL
Country flag
Thx. Interesting because over the counter it is sold as an anti bacteria treatment. Is it the water dilution that makes in ineffective in fighting bacteria?
It probably helps to kill harmful bacteria on a fish, but I would avoid using peroxide if the fish has an open sore or cut. Although H2O2 is an antiseptic, it has been found to slow the healing process and possibly worsen scarring by killing the healthy cells surrounding a cut.
 

Jessican

Sheriff
Thread starter
Location
Fremont, CA
Country flag
@Flame2hawk I tried using Hanna’s peroxide test kit, but the readings were weird and I don’t think it was very reliable, so I stopped using it and just dosed by volume. I haven’t tried the strips that @David Willis posted.

I didn’t change anything about how the tank was running while dosing - skimmer, UV, flow, lighting, etc.

I think that for the most part, we’re not dosing at a high enough level to kill off all bacteria, but I do think it stifles the nitrifying bacteria a bit, so I’d imagine it should affect pathogenic bacteria at least a bit as well. I also found that when I had some fish fighting and getting some small wounds, those all healed up fine while I was dosing without ever turning into an infection. Whether this is because the peroxide helped protect against that or not, I can’t say for sure. I haven’t had any fish with active bacterial infections while dosing so I haven’t seen whether it will help clear it up.
 
Despite a rigid QT process, looks like I’m having an ich or velvet outbreak in the tank and have lost one fish so far. I’m not going to be able to remove the rock to catch the fish given it is all mortared in place. Has there been any adjustments to this process outside of what’s listed on the first page or follow up tips before I get started?
 

Jessican

Sheriff
Thread starter
Location
Fremont, CA
Country flag
Despite a rigid QT process, looks like I’m having an ich or velvet outbreak in the tank and have lost one fish so far. I’m not going to be able to remove the rock to catch the fish given it is all mortared in place. Has there been any adjustments to this process outside of what’s listed on the first page or follow up tips before I get started?
Nope, everything in the OP is exactly what I would still recommend. Let me know if you have any specific questions about it!
 

TruckerTami

Well-known member
Location
Central Florida
Country flag
I used 12% peroxide to destroy my GHA at 1ml per 10 gallons water volume for a week and a half. I ripped out what I could by hand and when I dosed it, each day I picked a trouble area and squirted it directly on that area.
 

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Location
Navarre, FL
Country flag
That's correct. You can use stronger peroxide, just make sure to adjust the dosages appropriately.
So I will follow the below. Do I keep the week 4 dosage for weeks 4-6? I’m worried it’s velvet so not sure if this will work in time.


  • Starting dose: 1mL per 8 gallons (15mL) every 12 hours
  • Week 2: increased to 1mL per 8 gallons (15mL) every 8 hours
  • Week 4: increased to 1mL per 5 gallons (24mL) every 8 hours, and added overnight dosing (1mL every 15 minutes for 6 hours)
 

Jessican

Sheriff
Thread starter
Location
Fremont, CA
Country flag
Yes, you’d keep the week 4 dosage for at least weeks 4-6, longer if needed. You could also accelerate the timeline a bit if they’re not looking good, like so:
  • Starting dose: 1mL per 8 gallons (15mL) every 8 hours
  • Week 2: increase to 1mL per 5 gallons (15mL) every 8 hours
  • Week 3: add overnight dosing (1mL every 15 minutes for 6 hours)

If you’re able to catch anyone to give them a 150ppm bath, that will help knock back any parasites and buy you more time.
 
Yes, you’d keep the week 4 dosage for at least weeks 4-6, longer if needed. You could also accelerate the timeline a bit if they’re not looking good, like so:
  • Starting dose: 1mL per 8 gallons (15mL) every 8 hours
  • Week 2: increase to 1mL per 5 gallons (15mL) every 8 hours
  • Week 3: add overnight dosing (1mL every 15 minutes for 6 hours)

If you’re able to catch anyone to give them a 150ppm bath, that will help knock back any parasites and buy you more time.
I will try but also don’t want to add stress and weaken anything further. If catchable, would this be better than going into QT with copper power?
 

Jessican

Sheriff
Thread starter
Location
Fremont, CA
Country flag
I will try but also don’t want to add stress and weaken anything further. If catchable, would this be better than going into QT with copper power?
I’m not a big fan of copper myself, but treating with copper and going fallow in the display is the more proven method of dealing with velvet. It really just depends on how you want to approach it.
 
I’m not a big fan of copper myself, but treating with copper and going fallow in the display is the more proven method of dealing with velvet. It really just depends on how you want to approach it.
Was just referring to those that are in a worse state. Luckily I found a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and hooked it up to a dosing pump to do 12.5ml every 8 hours for my estimated 100g water volume. Hopefully they pull through. This tank has been frustrating as of late as I had a suspected bacterial issue kill off 15+ torches costing me into the thousands and leaving me with just two heads I was able to put into my other tank and now this after following QT.
 
Top