Porcupine Puffer not eating his prawns

hey everyone,

Just looking for some advice, my puffer is not eating his prawn like he used to every other day and he also has no interest in mussels either, i am wondering if there is anything else i can tempt him with? He is around 3" at the moment and what i would consider to be a juvenile still. Any help would be much appreciated!

@Humblefish sorry to bother you wondering if you could potentially answer me a questions on my puffer....so i have tried him with my various tasty fresh fish treats but still nothing, he isn't interested in anything like that and i have noted that on one of his eyes it appears a little cloudy but not completely, is it common for puffers to lose their appetite? Thank you in advance

Reefhog

Country flag
Puffers rarely resist krill which is usually readily available at most LFS. Try feeding with tweezers so you can wiggle it around. Porcupine Puffers tend to be very curious. I'll differ to @Humblefish but in my experience, cloudy eyes are usually the first sign in porcupine puffers that something is wrong. Bacterial infection or parasites or even injury. Unless he's eating a wide variety of foods, (cockle, clam, squid, shrimp,krill etc) You should soak his food in vitamins a few times a week. A picture would be helpful.

Puffers rarely resist krill which is usually readily available at most LFS. Try feeding with tweezers so you can wiggle it around. Porcupine Puffers tend to be very curious. I'll differ to @Humblefish but in my experience, cloudy eyes are usually the first sign in porcupine puffers that something is wrong. Bacterial infection or parasites or even injury. Unless he's eating a wide variety of foods, (cockle, clam, squid, shrimp,krill etc) You should soak his food in vitamins a few times a week. A picture would be helpful.
Thank you so much for your indepth reply, so i come downstairs this morning and my puffer was wedged in a rock dead, i took his body out and observed what i was seeing his fins do appear to have been attacked but last night he had no injury to his body, to say i am disappointed and sad is beyond it tbh, I know it sounds silly but i grew attached to him. I am going to get another one when i have my new DT set up, I am getting rid of the magnificent FF as i suspect he was the one who attacked my puffer im awaiting until i can take him to the shop and i have told them under strict instructions that they are not to rehome the FF with anything other than other predators.

^^ I agree. A cloudy eye is usually a sign of a bacterial infection starting up or flukes in the eye. Can you post a pic of the eye?
Hey, thank you for your reply so i come downstairs this morning and my puffer was wedged in a rock dead, i took his body out and observed what i was seeing his fins do appear to have been attacked but last night he had no injury to his body, to say i am disappointed and sad is beyond it tbh, I know it sounds silly but i grew attached to him. I am going to get another one when i have my new DT set up, I am getting rid of the magnificent FF as i suspect he was the one who attacked my puffer im awaiting until i can take him to the shop and i have told them under strict instructions that they are not to rehome the FF with anything other than other predators, i had also done all other tank checks this morning just to ensure it wasnt something that I was doing but I can 100% say that I will not be getting another FF.

Reefhog

Country flag
Thank you so much for your indepth reply, so i come downstairs this morning and my puffer was wedged in a rock dead, i took his body out and observed what i was seeing his fins do appear to have been attacked but last night he had no injury to his body, to say i am disappointed and sad is beyond it tbh, I know it sounds silly but i grew attached to him. I am going to get another one when i have my new DT set up, I am getting rid of the magnificent FF as i suspect he was the one who attacked my puffer im awaiting until i can take him to the shop and i have told them under strict instructions that they are not to rehome the FF with anything other than other predators.
That's too bad. I wouldn't think a fox face would attack a puffer. I've had puffers in with just about every fish at one time or another. Including a mean clown trigger. The only fish I'd avoid is a Lionfish and some eels. Eels don't have good eye sight and often hunt at night. My first puffer (very early 90s) died very similar to yours. His eyes got cloudy. He stopped eating. A few days later he was on the bottom of the tank dead with a large hermit crab all over him. My wife (GF at the time) said "no more crabs". "He killed our puffer".

That's too bad. I wouldn't think a fox face would attack a puffer. I've had puffers in with just about every fish at one time or another. Including a mean clown trigger. The only fish I'd avoid is a Lionfish and some eels. Eels don't have good eye sight and often hunt at night. My first puffer (very early 90s) died very similar to yours. His eyes got cloudy. He stopped eating. A few days later he was on the bottom of the tank dead with a large hermit crab all over him. My wife (GF at the time) said "no more crabs". "He killed our puffer".
Well normally I would totally agree with you @Reefhog but this is just becoming too much of a coincidence now it was only last week that he attacked my unicorn tang and killed him, I can't move him/take him back to the LFS because i'm due to give birth any day now but as soon as I have had my baby then he's going, I had this discussion with Humblefish and he did state that it isn't normal but like everything there can be a rogue one which I think i got the rogue one :( but as such i wouldn't want any other fish owner to put him in their tank with their tangs etc which is why i told them he needs to be in a predator tank only.