Waterbox Pot8O's WaterBox Frag 105.4

Users who are viewing this thread

Pot8Os

Country flag
Ordered a black WaterBox Frag 105.4, delivery is next week so no pics yet. I'll be swapping over the livestock from my current tank.

Ordered:
  • WaterBox Frag 105.4
  • DD Jumpguard
  • Sicce SDC 7 return pump
  • Bubble King Double Cone 180
  • OceanBox Designs probe and dosing tube holders
Reusing:
  • 3 ReeFi Uno lights
  • (2) OctoPulse 2 pumps
  • Hydros WaveEngine
  • Profilux P4
  • Alkatronic
  • Dosetronic
  • Spectrapure ATO
  • SPS (~25 BattleCoral pieces)
  • Captive bred fish (2 pink skunk clowns, Mollie Miller blenny, fang blenny, 3 PJ cardinals, elongate dottyback, indigo dotty)
Considering:
  • 2 additional OctoPulse pumps or maybe 2 Gyres
  • Undecided on heater

Last edited:

Pot8Os

Country flag
I’m eager to see some pics once you get it. Excited for you!

With the tank being relatively shallow I think the gyres may be better based on its wide flow. But there’s more ways to set up flow than there are ways to skin a cat
Thanks! Depending on how the pulses fit and work, I might replace them with gyres. The internal overflow does leave a nice space for a gyre on each side. I like the flow of gyres, wasn’t crazy about maintenance or keeping small snails out of them :)

OZ_SPS

Country flag
Get the double cone ifs awesome and easy to clean. Follow thw siImg recommendations. Whats your total water volume?

OZ_SPS

Country flag
103g before rock. I asked Royal exclusive and they recommended either the 150 or 180.
I would go with this one
Make sur you get thw one with RD3 speedy pump.
I have thw DC200. I also have thw BK mini 200. The double cone is better cause it has external pump which makes cleaning such a breeze.
Awesome skimmer.

Oooh. What kind of fang blenny? I have a blackline from either Ora or Biota. Peaceful, outgoing, and beautiful little fish. Watching him dive bomb for pods had me nervous at first. It almost looked like he was scratching on the rocks until I finally realized he was hunting. Cool to watch him kamikaze from across the tank 😂

Pot8Os

Country flag
I would go with this one
Make sur you get thw one with RD3 speedy pump.
I have thw DC200. I also have thw BK mini 200. The double cone is better cause it has external pump which makes cleaning such a breeze.
Awesome skimmer.
Why the RD3 over the RDX?
Oooh. What kind of fang blenny? I have a blackline from either Ora or Biota. Peaceful, outgoing, and beautiful little fish. Watching him dive bomb for pods had me nervous at first. It almost looked like he was scratching on the rocks until I finally realized he was hunting. Cool to watch him kamikaze from across the tank 😂
Striped blenny, great little fish

OZ_SPS

Country flag
Why the RD3 over the RDX?

Striped blenny, great little fish
I do not know thw RDX is this their new pump?
The RDS is super reliable pump and made in Germany end to end. Every single piece in that pump is made in Germany by RE.
Unfortunately am not aware of the RDX, in thw past they used to have the skimmer with AC pump and with DC pump (RDS3)

Pot8Os

Country flag
I do not know thw RDX is this their new pump?
The RDS is super reliable pump and made in Germany end to end. Every single piece in that pump is made in Germany by RE.
Unfortunately am not aware of the RDX, in thw past they used to have the skimmer with AC pump and with DC pump (RDS3)
Correct, RDX is the new DC pump. I haven’t seen reviews regarding their performance.

OZ_SPS

Country flag
Correct, RDX is the new DC pump. I haven’t seen reviews regarding their performance.
If you can get thw RDS I would gonwith it just cause its been in the market for a long time and it's solid. Otherwise go with the RDX, RE is solid company and heavy on the performance. When they release something its solid

Pot8Os

Country flag
WaterBox doesn’t mess around with shipping. Order placed 08/28, shipped 09/01, delivered 09/07. Stand shipped in cardboard boxes, sump in a box inside the tank, tank in a really nice mdf box. Plenty of packaging material, everything wrapped to a pallet.

I'm going to keep the tank bare bottom - what's the best way to install a HDPE sheet in the tank?
9159611E-6F97-4DBA-ADD8-CC984449F433.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm going to keep the tank bare bottom - what's the best way to install a HDPE sheet in the tank?
I have no experience with an HDPE bottom, but it seems to me like you are going to have a hard time getting a good fit, and the silicone bead around the bottom of the tank will cause difficulties getting it flush with the bottom of the tank, especially if you have a tight fit.

I think a good alternative is to either buy the rocks with a flat bottom, or to sand the bottom of the rocks touching bottom flat. I used a belt sander to make the bottom of my Caribsea life rock flat so that it was stable, and so that there weren't any pressure points. Plus with this shallow tank you probably won't have and towering rock structures.

Either way I am sure there is someone out there who has made an HDPE bottom that can give you help.

Good luck. I am excited to flow this build.

Pot8Os

Country flag
I have no experience with an HDPE bottom, but it seems to me like you are going to have a hard time getting a good fit, and the silicone bead around the bottom of the tank will cause difficulties getting it flush with the bottom of the tank, especially if you have a tight fit.

I think a good alternative is to either buy the rocks with a flat bottom, or to sand the bottom of the rocks touching bottom flat. I used a belt sander to make the bottom of my Caribsea life rock flat so that it was stable, and so that there weren't any pressure points. Plus with this shallow tank you probably won't have and towering rock structures.

Either way I am sure there is someone out there who has made an HDPE bottom that can give you help.

Good luck. I am excited to flow this build.

The fit is why I'm conflicted on if I'll do it or not. I have all the tools I need to cut it, route edges, whatever - but it won't be the same edge as the black silicon. Not sure if I like seeing the pad or not.

FC6BA534-EEBB-46FC-90F8-118D6A30A973.jpeg

All my rock is Stax, I glued square frag plugs on the bottoms to act as risers for flow :)

Last edited:

Pot8Os

Country flag
I asked my spouse's opinion about the HDPE and showed them pictures of different options. Spouse recommended going with white, I ordered a 1/2" sheet to give it a try. Plan is to bevel the bottom edge to clear the silicon, not sure about the top edge yet. I don't think I'll seal the sheet to the tank.

Thanks for sharing your build thread with us! :)
Thanks for the reminder to add the badge thing...

Martin Lawrence Movie GIF

Country flag
All my rock is Stax, I glued square frag plugs on the bottoms to act as risers for flow :)
That’s a good idea. When I had Stax sitting flat it was a detritus trap so I ended up building tall structures and turning them sideways to have less surface contact. But my tank is small so the weight of the rocks on small surface area isn’t that high.

How have the hdpe setups you’ve seen dealt with detritus getting under the sheet? Is it not an issue?