Prazi resistant Flukes

scuzy

So my two new angels shows symptoms of flukes. When i dipped them in fw it helps them a bit. I think its in his gills as he will occasionally scratch on one side of his face and swims a bit irratic. While waiting on fenbendazole to arrive can i increase prazipro dosage a bit to help by them some time? Since amazon shipping i slow now due to the pandemic. Fastes i think i can get the fenbendazole is next thursday or saturday.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
HF Vendor
Country flag
I was reading your research about Hyposalinity you said to run tank at 1.09 but under pros says study 1.11 kill eggs and adults
1.011 SG for 5 days will eliminate flukes + eggs. However, I recommend 1.009 (full hypo) for a full week as an insurance policy since it is generally well tolerated by most fish.

Salmo Si

Country flag
Bobby, have you ever used Prazipro at higher concentrations for short duration baths?

Over here we regularly treat at 7.5mg/l for 6 hours using a different product. It's a very useful treatment to carry out during a tank transfer. Ime it can be effective against internal worms when normal prazi dosages have not been. Perhaps the same might apply for flukes.

I can't see why you shouldn't do the same with Prazipro

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
HF Vendor
Country flag
Bobby, have you ever used Prazipro at higher concentrations for short duration baths?

Over here we regularly treat at 7.5mg/l for 6 hours using a different product. It's a very useful treatment to carry out during a tank transfer. Ime it can be effective against internal worms when normal prazi dosages have not been. Perhaps the same might apply for flukes.

I can't see why you shouldn't do the same with Prazipro
I've never done that, but I know some who do. Prazipro's concentration is 2.5mg/l so they dose 3x the recommended amount for 4-6 hours. Most fish seem to handle it fine; although I wouldn't try it on wrasses.

Salmo Si

Country flag
I've never done that, but I know some who do. Prazipro's concentration is 2.5mg/l so they dose 3x the recommended amount for 4-6 hours. Most fish seem to handle it fine; although I wouldn't try it on wrasses.
Pretty much every fish I've owned has had a bath or two like that. Including various halichoeres, macropharyngodon and anampses.

It's part of an established QT protocol on UR. I guess hundreds of people have followed it and thousands of fish have had these baths. I've never heard of a problem.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
HF Vendor
Country flag
Pretty much every fish I've owned has had a bath or two like that. Including various halichoeres, macropharyngodon and anampses.

It's part of an established QT protocol on UR. I guess hundreds of people have followed it and thousands of fish have had these baths. I've never heard of a problem.
Interesting. Do you transfer to a new QT following each bath? If not, how do you prevent reinfection from flukes in the QT itself?

Salmo Si

Country flag
I've always wondered just how viable monogeneans are "off fish". I'm assuming the bath and then transfer back into the same QT has a high success rate, otherwise it wouldn't be so popular over there. :unsure:
Rarely do you hear of the treatment failing. However, it's normally done prophylactically. If someone has a confirmed case of flukes I would always recommend a transfer to a clean tank via the praziquantel bath.

I suspect returning to the same tank would work most of the time, but personally I wouldn't take the chance.