QT API general cure and number of days apart on treatments

Users who are viewing this thread

SeaCreature

Country flag
Im doing my first quarantine and Ive been doing cupramine. I now want to add api general cure as humble fish reccomends. I think he reccomends doses 7 days apart but api says 48 hours. Just little confused.

AndyR83

Way better at fixing people than fish
Country flag
Hi there,

API General Cure (“GC”) contains two ingredients that are mixed together into a single product: metronidazole and praziquantel. Metronidazole is typically administered every 48 hours in QT to treat for possible brooklynella and uronema. Praziquantel is usually given as two doses spaced out by about a week, to treat for flukes. If using a combined product like GC, it’s generally recommended to dose 1 packet per 10 gallons for 10-14 days.

The main advantage of using the two treatments separately is the ability to adjust the dosage of one without also adjusting the other (since they’re mixed together into a powder in GC.) Conversely, the advantage of using them together is convenience and simplified dosing.

AndyR83

Way better at fixing people than fish
Country flag
In case you’re interested, here’s the latest revision of a QT treatment algorithm I’ve been working on:

8464F02C-723C-4CC2-AB91-2239B6DC5EBB.jpeg

Big G

Country flag
Im doing my first quarantine and Ive been doing cupramine. I now want to add api general cure as humble fish reccomends. I think he reccomends doses 7 days apart but api says 48 hours. Just little confused.
Using General Cure:
Using a brine shrimp (fine mesh) net, pour the packet into the net. Lower the net into the tank and massage the net expressing the GC into the water.
Wait 5-7 days. Do a 25% water change. And then re-dose the General Cure.
Again wait 5-7 days. Do a 25% water change.
Observe for 10 days or so. Sometimes a second round of GC is needed.

SeaCreature

Country flag
Using General Cure:
Using a brine shrimp (fine mesh) net, pour the packet into the net. Lower the net into the tank and massage the net expressing the GC into the water.
Wait 5-7 days. Do a 25% water change. And then re-dose the General Cure.
Again wait 5-7 days. Do a 25% water change.
Observe for 10 days or so. Sometimes a second round of GC is needed.
I think humble fish reccomends to do copper and GC at same time in QT right? I cant find it and I think hes not around so thought id ask

Big G

Country flag
Yes, you can do both if you feel the need based on the fish's condition. I prefer to do copper first (to head off Velvet, Ich, etc.) and then the GC after the copper is out of the tank. It's lower stress for the fish's immune system, gut, organs. But if my fish were showing signs of internal parasites or flukes and no velvet or Ich, I'd treat with GC first.

SeaCreature

Country flag
Yes, you can do both if you feel the need based on the fish's condition. I prefer to do copper first (to head off Velvet, Ich, etc.) and then the GC after the copper is out of the tank. It's lower stress for the fish's immune system, gut, organs. But if my fish were showing signs of internal parasites or flukes and no velvet or Ich, I'd treat with GC first.
Thanks that helps. makes sense