HELP QT approach ASAP 911

Users who are viewing this thread

jasony816

Country flag
I just started a new tank and moved over my established pair of clowns and kole tang and during the past 6 weeks added new fish to my tank in this order a small yellow tang (Observation for 2 weeks only) on 3/7 then on 4/1 I added 4 Lyretail Anthias and 1 fairy wrasse I purchased from TSM. Now the bad news, somehow I just noticed that my yellow tang has white spots (ich) and I even see a few on my clown and the anthias and now I am freaking out and need a game plan to quickly and safely QT all my fish.

I have 3 10 gallon tanks with HOBs I can use as QT, but how should I divide the fish up between the 3 tanks to keep the aggression to a minimum and what copper power dosage should I be using 2.0 or 2.5 since I have sensitive and non sensitive fishes I need to QA. I have everything ready and pretty much just need to catch the fish asap and start the 30 day QT, thanks in advance for any tips suggestion you guys might have.

Jason

jasony816

Country flag
Here you can see all the spots on the yellow.
2A8948F4-98AF-40A4-B58C-E3E144D86813.jpeg

jasony816

Country flag
Here is another closer shot of the tang as well as the clown. The Anthias has some marks too that wasn’t there when I got them from TSM but they are fighting with the male Anthias and no marks on the kole or wrasse. Let me know what should I do as I don’t really want to lose any of them especially my clown pair that I had over 10 years... any recommendations advice is much appreciated, thanks.
46C9F916-9D5B-48D6-97C8-54BCDC8C28FF.jpeg

E735932E-86BD-46EF-9939-B3B173245B8C.jpeg
689D52CB-6D22-4ABF-8074-B5EF4F7791E0.jpeg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Country flag
That does look like Ich on the tang. However, some of the spots are irregular shaped and could be flukes. Can you give him a 5 min freshwater dip to confirm?

jasony816

Country flag
Thanks, I gotta catch it first and its going to be rough... Also fresh water dip just make sure the water is same as tank right and dip for how long?

Alcatraz

Country flag
Thanks, I gotta catch it first and its going to be rough... Also fresh water dip just make sure the water is same as tank right and dip for how long?
Have you tried using something like eggcrate cut to width so lessen the swimming room the fish has in order to help catch?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Country flag
Also fresh water dip just make sure the water is same as tank right and dip for how long?
Temperature should match tank water and you do the dip for 5 minutes. Tangs like to play dead during a freshwater dip, so you have to chase them around with your hand a little to keep them swimming. If necessary, hold the fish in front of a wave maker (on low) to get saltwater flowing through the gills again after you put him back in the tank.

jasony816

Country flag
I dont have any eggcrate at the moment and catching him is hard, I might need to drain the tank some before I can catch it. Other than that any recommendations as to how to separate the 9 fishes into the 3 separate 10 gallon tanks? Also should I be treating them 2.0 or 2.5 copper power?

1 pair of clowns
1 kole tang
1 yellow tang
4 lyretial
1 fairy wrasse

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Country flag
Other than that any recommendations as to how to separate the 9 fishes into the 3 separate 10 gallon tanks?
Tank 1: Kole Tang, pair of clowns

Tank 2: Yellow Tang, 2 Lyretail Anthias

Tank 3: 2 Lyretail Anthias, 1 Fairy Wrasse

Also should I be treating them 2.0 or 2.5 copper power?
Because of the anthias & wrasse, treat @ 2.0 ppm for 30 days.

jasony816

Country flag
Thanks, so treat all 3 tanks @2.0 or just tanks #2 and #3 because they have the anthias & wrasse?

jasony816

Country flag
So once all the fish is out of the tank, it goes fallow for 6 weeks and the fish are out of QT they can go back into the DT, no need to treat the DT, correct?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Country flag
Thanks, so treat all 3 tanks @2.0 or just tanks #2 and #3 because they have the anthias & wrasse?
I would treat them all at 2.0 since it is just Ich. There seems to be more incidents of "copper resistant" velvet.

So once all the fish is out of the tank, it goes fallow for 6 weeks and the fish are out of QT they can go back into the DT, no need to treat the DT, correct?
Correct, but raise DT temp to 81F whilst going fallow to speed up the parasite's lifecycle. This increases the odds of a successful fallow period.

jasony816

Country flag
Just update, I caught all the fish and have them in the separate tanks and started slowly raisin copper 1ml every 8-12 hrs and should reach 2.0 in about 6 days and they are all eating. Should I start dosing metro right away or until im at 2.0 copper? Also can I add more bacterial additive like (Dr. Tims/Fritzs) to help with filtration or once copper is in I can add anymore?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Country flag
Just update, I caught all the fish and have them in the separate tanks and started slowly raisin copper 1ml every 8-12 hrs and should reach 2.0 in about 6 days and they are all eating. Should I start dosing metro right away or until im at 2.0 copper? Also can I add more bacterial additive like (Dr. Tims/Fritzs) to help with filtration or once copper is in I can add anymore?
I would go ahead and dose metro now. (y)

The copper will kill most of the nitrifying bacteria in the water before it reaches the destination (your filter). However, what you can do is seed bio media outside of QT (in a bucket or something), and then transfer it over to the QT after a few days. By then at least some of the bacteria should be entrenched in the bio media which seems to better protect it from copper.

GGonzo

Country flag
what about GC? Replace GC with metro on its 2nd dose and again on the 6th day instead of metro?
This is what I've got noted in my treatment options based on an interview I saw with Humblefish:
Seachem Focus (binder to use with API General Cure or Methroplex or Kanaplex)
So it would appear that you chose one option for medication based on what you are treating.
API General Cure (this and Copper Power are the main ones to use)
Seachem Metroplex (medication for internal parasites)
Seachem Kanaplex (wide spectrum antibiotic)
Hope this helps, but I'm sure Humblefish will respond and make any necessary corrections to my note.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Country flag
what about GC? Replace GC with metro on its 2nd dose and again on the 6th day instead of metro?
GC contains prazi and metro, so you can replace metro with GC but I would follow these 2 rules:
  1. Do not dose metro within 48 hours of dosing GC (before or after).
  2. When using GC, apply a second treatment 6 days later (to deworm). You can dose again a third time (6 days later) if you want.

jasony816

Country flag
Thanks guys, so basically just do metro every other day and the when you dose GC you dont does metro and you can does GC again in 6 days for 2nd round or another 6 days for 3rd round if need be.