Red Sea Rostatos Reefer 450

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi all. I’ve been reefing for about 10 years but only 3 years of hard core coral growing.

I’m copying my build thread from another forum so some posts may not make 100% sense. I’ll try my best.

I upgraded from the reefer 250 for a 450 and recently added a 170 for zoas and LPS.

Here was my Reefer 250 in April 2020
474262CE-77D8-41BE-9EFC-C87A7E93D907.jpeg

Here was moving day and transfer day for the 450
8894BAB0-0E57-403A-9EFE-3D8C14518CE8.jpeg
C2204426-0660-4015-B0D9-3058DF8097FE.jpeg
AAF4ABB1-2FA2-41C2-87D3-B2EEC844A06C.jpeg
E653414D-2114-44FC-8BB0-E6E2416891AE.jpeg

0897CC7B-3FCB-4807-B184-E38C6BC26F92.jpeg
AB1D04C5-5FA8-44BA-925E-C46EC7ED9BC2.jpeg

Last edited:

Rostato

Reef Nerd
Country flag
The tank is bare bottom because I feed a lot and like lots of flow.

Current equipment
Tank
Reefer 450

Lights
2 Gen 4 XR30’s with diffuser controlled by the Neptune WXM
1 Gen 4 XR15 with diffuser controlled by the Neptune WXM
Neptune LSM for moonlight

Flow
2 Maxspect gyre xf330’s running the 24 hr lunar tidal mode
2 Mp40’s controlled by the Neptune WXM
2 Ecotech battery backups

Filtration
Filter cups with filter floss changed every 3 days
BRS reactor running a mix of rowaphos and rox carbon changed every 2 weeks
Reef Octopus 150SSS Skimmer with neck cleaner
No fuge, no algae scrubber, nothing

Heat/Cooling
Ranco dual temp controller
Finnex 500w and 300w titanium rods
Neptune Apex as backup
Cheap Amazon fan for during the summer controlled by the ranco

Dosing
Dastaco c2 calcium reactor
Avast marine kalkwasser reactor
Neptune DOS
The DOS doses 2,200ml of Kalk per day on one head and the other is hooked up to Tropic Marines All for Reef as a back up to everything.

Control
Neptune Apex classic with lots of modules and Eb8 and an eb4

Extras
Kh Guardian for alk tests every 4 hours
BRS co2 scrubber recirculating through the skimmer. Media changed every month

Last edited:

Rostato

Reef Nerd
Country flag
Current Fish List
Yellow tang
Blue tang
White tail Kole tang
Marine Betta
2 clowns that bread like no other
Royal Gramma
Neon Dottyback
Bartlett anthias
Red Firefish
6 line wrasse
Azure Damsel

Current Inverts
Tons of trochus snails
Even more mini brittle stars
Cleaner shrimp
Fire Shrimp
Dolabela Sea Hare

Current Corsls...too many

Rostato

Reef Nerd
Country flag
NERD ALERT!

I finally read all of the coral magazine articles on coral spawning and have gone down the rabbit hole. A fun one mind you.

Things I have changed.
1. Downgraded my gen 4 Radions to work with my wxm instrad of mobius (I hated mobius)
2. Attached Radions to wxm and programmed to follow the season table (2 hours later than “normal“ so I can view later into the evening)
3. Added a Neptune LSM and three lunar LED’s and also have them coming on 2 hours later than “Normal”
4. Changed my gyres to run the 24hr lunar tidal mode also following the noon phases
5. Changed my feed cycle for my nighttime feeding completely. In the past, I just dumped in Acropower/ Red Sea AB+, fish food, and then oyster feast mixed with reef roids and all pumps running. Now, all pumps are off for 7 minutes, and the return and skimmer are off for 45 minutes. This will allow the tank to “soak” in food.

Things to do
1. Decide if I want to trust the apex outlet to turn on my heaters and follow the season table with that. It would probably help my power bill for the tank to get cooler during the winter and warmer during the summer. I need to find a way to have the ranco controller shut down the heaters if it gets too hot.
A. How much of a temp swing I should allow within the apex season table?
2. Move my MP40’s to the bottom of the tank and only use them as support flow so as to not disturb the gyres lunar swell mode. There is probably too much flow right now that’s directed at certian corals, so I need to make more indirect flow.
3. Change the season table in the apex to a location in the tropics that I want to mimic.
4. Wait

I have decided that I won’t black out the tank and see if I can still get some corals to spawn. My goal isn’t to rear any corals yet. I just want to see if I can get it to happen.

Things I need to figure out.
1. When will my corals potentially spawn. The articles gave me something to go off of, but I have different acros.
2. Does flow even matter or help? I am thinking of having the flow completely off (minus return) for a few hours after sunset.

So i changed the plan a bit. I decided to mimic Palau because it seems to be a pretty diverse reef, and is close enough to the equator that the days and nights don’t change in length too much over the course of a year. I pulled the data for the sun and moon rise and set times from this site https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/palau

My season table was updated to match and then I changed all start times to be 3 hours later and end 3 hours later than Palau’s ”normal” times because their sunrise starts around 5:30-6am every day. Here is my season table with Palau‘s times and temp adjustments and my apex program I got for the xr30’s

When trying to find the water temps to mimic I came across this very interesting paper. https://coralreefpalau.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/CRRFTechRep1.pdf

I was amazed by how warm the reefs are there...especially with this data being 2 decades old. I realize most of the data in the paper was surface temperature, so instead of high temps being around 85 degrees, I subtracted 5 degrees from every month. In the end, there is only about a 4 degree change throughout the year. So this was a long way for me to say I ain’t changing the temp of my tank. I get 1 degree swings all day anyway, and according to that paper it’s completely normal. The 4 degrees spread over the year seems like the corals wouldn’t even notice. So I think it’s pointless. I could be wrong, but we will see.

I also got sick of my low ph issue and slow growth in my tank. So I hooked my co2 scrubber back up. Look at that jump in ph and dip in dkh today! I’m super stoked to have the tank in what I call supercharged mode again. Time to turn up the carx again!

Rostato

Reef Nerd
Country flag
I have this invasive sponge that is irritating my Aussie Green Torch.
8877B50A-4241-4E60-B4F9-8C5138AB6FE9.jpeg

I think my only course of action is going to be removing these two large rocks from the display and bleaching them.

14CEDAD7-ECA9-4F90-A161-7BD3422DC075.jpeg

Problem is that I have a few large colonies and some zoas encrusting that rock. So I’m not sure how to do it safely. My plan is to make up a bunch of new water, remove the rocks and put into a large bin where I can remove the large colonies from, then figure out how to kill the zoas without killing myself. Any suggestions? I’ll probably post this in a separate thread

Rostato

Reef Nerd
Country flag
I recently broke down and got a used Reefer170 for zoas and nicer LPS it’s finishing up the ugly stage. Here are some pics from initial set up

F4CAF347-FBA9-436B-8277-3195A600376B.jpeg
A1D3DE0B-9181-4B78-A79B-D01623083558.jpeg
B1CDEBE6-4BE7-472A-8427-33354F3316FF.jpeg
93EDE52F-0137-4176-B46C-1F3787B93958.jpeg
BD9CE9BF-AEBF-4771-9C5B-51514E4F5719.jpeg

Reefer 170 current equipment

Light
Gen 3 XR30 pro

Flow
1 Mp40 controlled by the Neptune WXM
Ecotech battery backup will be added soon...need to replace the battery

Filtration
Filter cup with filter floss changed every 3 days
Vertex 170 skimmer
No fuge, no algae scrubber, nothing

Heat/Cooling
Inkbird temo controller...will be replaced with a Ranco dual temp controller soon
Finnex 300w titanium rod
Neptune Apex jr as backup

Dosing
BRS doser
Tropic marine all for reef

Control
Neptune Apex jr with pm1 module

Extras
Kh Guardian for alk tests every 4 hours and to dose this tank independently will be added soon

Last edited: