Sailfin tang illness

Users who are viewing this thread

Slything

Country flag
Sorry for the length of the post wanna get all the details.

This fish has been an absolute journey. Been in QT now little over 2 months.

First 25 days no sign of illness. During this time I ran 1 round of prazipro and held therapeutic copper levels for 18 days.

19th day. All of a sudden the fish had a huge swollen eye and wasn't eating. Over the next couple weeks went through..
Another round of prazipro.
10 days of furan-2
3 rounds of kanaplex.
Eyeball is cured!

Next up I believe to be flukes. The tail started looking rough and noticing spots on him. It almost resembles ich to me but I'm overly nervous about that so I'm not sure.

Following humbles recommendation I have switched to antibiotics the past 12 days. Switching between Vitachem and selcon.

Current state fish hasn't changed much.

I've had another fish in the QT tank the entire time and it has shown 0 signs of illness. I really would like to move it to the DT but I'm absolutely terrified of it infecting my other fish.

Questions.
Suggestions??
I have read about freshwater dips for flukes should I try this ?
Wondering if this looks at all like ich?

Added the secondfish who has no illness. To show his tankmate. I have seen no signs of aggression between them

Attachments

• 20201211_091252.jpg
    20201211_091252.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 20201213_230834.jpg
    20201213_230834.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 20201213_230809.jpg
    20201213_230809.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 20201213_231226.jpg
    20201213_231226.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 21

Big G

Country flag
Sorry for the length of the post wanna get all the details.

This fish has been an absolute journey. Been in QT now little over 2 months.

First 25 days no sign of illness. During this time I ran 1 round of prazipro and held therapeutic copper levels for 18 days.

19th day. All of a sudden the fish had a huge swollen eye and wasn't eating. Over the next couple weeks went through..
Another round of prazipro.
10 days of furan-2
3 rounds of kanaplex.
Eyeball is cured!

Next up I believe to be flukes. The tail started looking rough and noticing spots on him. It almost resembles ich to me but I'm overly nervous about that so I'm not sure.

Following humbles recommendation I have switched to antibiotics the past 12 days. Switching between Vitachem and selcon.

Current state fish hasn't changed much.

I've had another fish in the QT tank the entire time and it has shown 0 signs of illness. I really would like to move it to the DT but I'm absolutely terrified of it infecting my other fish.

Questions.
Suggestions??
I have read about freshwater dips for flukes should I try this ?
Wondering if this looks at all like ich?

Added the secondfish who has no illness. To show his tankmate. I have seen no signs of aggression between them
Highly recommend doing the freshwater dip to either confirm or eliminate flukes from possible problems. Use a dark container as it makes spotting the white-ish sesame seed sized bodies of the flukes as they drop off of your fish.

Slything

Country flag
Highly recommend doing the freshwater dip to either confirm or eliminate flukes from possible problems. Use a dark container as it makes spotting the white-ish sesame seed sized bodies of the flukes as they drop off of your fish.

Unfortunately I didn't have anything black I could put him in. I'm not feeling so confident it's flukes now unless only a very small amount actually come off with the dip

Attachments

• 20201214_031728.jpg
    20201214_031728.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20201214_030053.jpg
    20201214_030053.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 18

Big G

Country flag
Wasn't expecting a whole lot of flukes coming off if any as you had already dosed Prazipro. Surface flukes come off pretty easily, the flukes within the gills and lastly eyes are the more difficult for a FW dip and Prazi to reach as they are protected somewhat by the mucous membranes.
15 or more days of copper at therapeutic is enough to rid most fish of Ich and Velvet.
The white spots you are seeing could be lympho:
Consider adding Beta-Glucan to your fish's food mix. It will tremendously boost the fish's immune system. 6-8 frozen cubes to a 1/2 capsule of BG will keep pretty well in the fridge for a few days. Continue feeding daily until the condition clears. Once clear, alternate weeks of BG with other vitamins as studies have shown better results alternating BG.

Last edited:

Slything

Country flag
Wasn't expecting a whole lot of flukes coming off if any as you had already dosed Prazipro. Surface flukes come off pretty easily, the flukes within the gills and lastly eyes are the more difficult for a FW dip and Prazi to reach as they are protected somewhat by the mucous membranes.
15 or more days of copper at therapeutic is enough to rid most fish of Ich and Velvet.
The white spots you are seeing could be lympho:
Consider adding Beta-Glucan to your fish's food mix. It will tremendously boost the fish's immune system. 6-8 frozen cubes to a 1/2 capsule of BG will keep pretty well in the fridge for a few days. Continue feeding daily until the condition clears. Once clear, alternate weeks of BG with other vitamins as studies have shown better results alternating BG.
Thanks for your advice! I was doubtful if it could be ich as I believe I did everything right with the copper. I was starting to doubt myself with this though and I'm terrified of introducing it to the DT. The fight continues lol he is looking pretty rough after his FW dip extremely white right now hopefully he makes it through the night

Big G

Country flag
15 days at therapeutic usually takes care of ich or velvet, but we like to transfer the fish to a fresh, clean QT and then observe. The risk is that a parasite as encysted in the tank which protects it from the copper. Otherwise we treat for 30 days at therapeutic.
The pics were kinda fuzzy on this end. Did the white spots look cottony, fibrous or cauliflower like in texture?

Slything

Country flag
15 days at therapeutic usually takes care of ich or velvet, but we like to transfer the fish to a fresh, clean QT and then observe. The risk is that a parasite as encysted in the tank which protects it from the copper. Otherwise we treat for 30 days at therapeutic.
The pics were kinda fuzzy on this end. Did the white spots look cottony, fibrous or cauliflower like in texture?
It is really hard even for me to tell. Honestly unsure which to pick. It looks a little salt-like but then his nose looks more fuzzy and then the spots in his fins seem internal... Wondering if I didn't do tank transfer if I should just get a solid water change and go for 30 days of copper.

Slything

Country flag
Tell you what though this will be the last time I quarantine fish together. I feel so bad for the other fish who hasn't shown any signs of illness

AndyR83

Way better at fixing people than fish
Country flag
Don’t be too hard on yourself! I run my fish through QT in cohorts too, to help keep the amount of resources needed manageable (tanks, equipment, meds, etc.) I suspect most people do!

Slything

Country flag
Don’t be too hard on yourself! I run my fish through QT in cohorts too, to help keep the amount of resources needed manageable (tanks, equipment, meds, etc.) I suspect most people do!
Thanks ! It's funny how much you can care about a little fish 😂 started the hobby like ahh it'll be alright no need for quarantine. Now I'm like I love these little guys they must be protected 😂😂

mickeysreef

Country flag
I'm not a big fan of lymph - probably I would skip a fish with it, I actually just did. I had a sailfin tang who had it on his tail a couple of times. no other fish caught it. it's an incurable virus that can be transmitted to your other fish - although some say unlikely. I do not know if once it's in your tank it's there forever, however none of my other fish have displayed symptoms of such. my sailfin died after a copper treatment, it looks like he broke his jaw and came down with a bacterial infection. he was a big fat pig and very big and fat when he died. I believe that the broken jaw, bacterial infection and subsequent death are somehow related to his lymph.

I recently bought a tomato clownfish from a vendor here. he displayed lymph in the eye after coming out of qt before I got the fish. I was waiting for the issue to resolve but a little research confirmed my suspicions that the fish will experience a shortened life and will most likely have issues down the line as that virus tends to infect the fish all over.

after 3 weeks of waiting, i passed on the fish and the vendor was more than happy to give me other fish in lieu. i will pass on a fish with lymph if given the opportunity.