Show Off schg's Ultum Nature Systems 45u

Users who are viewing this thread

schg's Ultum Nature Systems 45u

Current full tank shot:

UNS45u-0052.jpg

First FTS with the new camera, a Sony A7ii with 28-70mm lens.
08/07/2022

Current Equipment setup:
  • Tank
    • Ultum Nature Systems 45u 9 gallon frameless aquarium (07/10/2022)
  • Lighting
    • AquaIllumination Prime HD (05/20/2022)
    • Luxdium LUX Engine Gold puck upgrade (07/29/2022)
  • Heater
    • hygger 100w mini aquarium heater (07/02/2022)
  • Flow
    • AQQA 800 wavemaker pump with VIV glass lily pipes (07/02/2022)
    • VIV glass overflow (07/24/2022)
  • Filtration
    • Fiji Cube Fiji-12 sump (07/02/2022)
    • Vivosun 800GPH return pump (07/05/2022)
  • Auto top off
    • Magtool optical sensor ATO (05/25/2022)
  • Control
    • bayite temperature controller (07/26/2022)
    • Reef Octopus FW110 high amp float switch (07/31/2022)
  • Live rock
    • 10lbs of Carib Sea Life Rock Base (05/17/2022)
  • Live sand
    • 15lbs of Carib Sea aragonite sand (05/17/2022)
Filtration and maintenance:
  • Chemi-Pure Blue Nano (replaced every 2 months?)
  • Mixed density filter pad (replaced weekly)
  • 100 Micron polishing pad (replaced weekly)
  • 2.5 gallon water change (completed weekly)
  • 4ml Red Sea Reef Energy AB+ (dosed daily)
Soft Coral:
  • Green Ricordia (06/13/2022)
  • Green Kenya Tree (07/14/2022)
  • Pulsing Xenia (07/14/2022)
  • Green Star Polyps (06/23/2022)
  • Jawbreaker Mushroom (06/24/2022)
  • Neon Green Star Polyps (06/28/2022)
Zoas and Palys:
  • Oxides (06/12/2022)
  • King Midas (06/12/2022)
  • Incredible Hulk (06/12/2022)
  • Punk Rockers (06/12/2022)
  • Nuclear Greens (06/23/2022)
  • Unknown blue and green zoas (07/26/2022)
  • Unknown red and green zoas (06/23/2022)
  • Purple Hearts (06/28/2022)
  • Pandoras (06/28/2022)
  • Radioactive Dragon Eyes (06/28/2022)
  • Bloodsuckers (06/28/2022)
  • Utter Peace (06/28/2022)
  • Buttmunchers (06/28/2022)
  • Utter Chaos (08/03/2022)
  • Black Lotus (08/03/2022)
  • Utter Chaos (08/03/2022)
  • Black Lotus (08/03/2022)
  • Rastas (08/10/2022)
  • Crown Royals (08/10/2022)
  • Red Hornets (08/10/2022)
  • Mohawks (08/10/2022)

• Petroglyphs or Sonic flare (wanted)
  • Rainbow Incinerators (wanted)
  • Galaxy People Eaters or Gaias (wanted)
  • Sopranos (wanted)
  • Magicians (wanted)
  • Sunny Ds (wanted)
  • Purple People Eaters (wanted)
  • Punk Rockers (wanted)
  • Wobbegongs (wanted)
  • Lunar Eclipses or Stiggy Marleys (wanted)
  • Hallucinations (wanted)
  • Leprochauns (wanted)
  • Fruit Loops (wanted)
  • Captain Americas (wanted)
  • Ultimate Chaos (wanted)
  • Pink Diamonds (wanted)
  • Spidermans (wanted)

LPS:
  • Mummy Eye Chalice (06/23/2022)
  • Duncan (07/30/2022)
  • Blue and Red Acan (08/03/2022)
SPS:
  • Red Monti (06/13/2022)
  • Unknown dark purple Acro (07/26/2022)
  • Jedi Mind Tricks Monti (06/23/2022)
  • Rainbow Monti? (06/23/2022)
  • Forest Fire Digi (06/23/2022)
  • Green Birdsnest (06/30/2022)
  • JF Slow Burn Monti (06/30/2022)
Fish:
  • Sharknose Goby (07/26/2022)
  • Springers Damsel (07/31/2022)
  • Hi-fin Red Banded Goby (08/06/2022)

• Green Banded Goby (maybe?)
  • Tailspot Blenny (maybe?)
  • Red Headed Goby (maybe?)
Invertebrates:
  • Astraea Snails (06/08/2022)
  • Nassarius Snails (06/08/2022)
  • Blue Legged Hermit Crabs (06/08/2022)
  • Green Mithrax Crab (06/08/2022)
  • Nano Conch Snails (06/19/2022)
  • Rock Flower Anemone (06/19/2022)
  • Halloween Hermit Crab (07/30/2022)
  • Fuzzy Chiton (08/02/2022)
  • Bumble Bee Snails (08/02/2022)
  • Cortez Cerith Snails (08/02/2022)
  • Dwarf Cerith Snails (08/02/2022)
  • Dwarf Planaxis Snails (08/02/2022)
  • Dwarf Trochus Snails (08/02/2022)
  • East African Cerith Snails (08/02/2022)
  • Limpets (08/02/2022)
  • Money Cowries (08/02/2022)
  • Nerite Snails (08/02/2022)
  • Virgin Nerite Snails (08/02/2022)
  • Pom-Pom Crab (08/02/2022)
  • Candy Cane Pistol Shrimp (08/02/2022)
  • Porcelain Anemone Crab (08/02/2022)

• Sexy Anemone Shrimp (pending)
  • Crinoid Squat Lobster (maybe?)
  • Acro Crab (maybe?)
  • Porcelain Crab (pending)
  • Mini Carpet Anemone (pending)

Build Introduction:

Hello!

I recently stumbled upon this forum, and it seems like a pretty solid community with quite a few faces that are familiar to me, so why not join and start another journal? I am currently setting up a 9-gallon Ultum Nature Systems build, which I will transfer contents into from the 6-gallon Aqueon cube with lily pipes and a canister filter I recently started. I decided to dip my toes back into the reef game, but I have always had nano tanks for the most part through my 12 years of reefing.

schgpico-00026.jpg

Crappy photo of the 6-gallon as it stands now.

A few of my old tanks can be found on other forums, but I will link to my old ADA 30c and my Innovative Marine 25 Lagoon for some better examples of my more documented tanks. I have a nasty habit of not letting things fully grow out before I abandon them, so this tank will definitely have to break that trend.

schgpico-0027.jpg

$25 Facebook marketplace score for the stand.

The goal with this tank is to make things a bit cleaner and get closer to the ADA 30c I had before, having zero visible equipment inside the display itself. I accomplished this (mostly) on the ADA by drilling through the rockwork, hiding my overflow and return inside, but getting more flow inside the tank proved to be difficult. This time around I am going to go with all glass filtration, using a VIV glass overflow into a sump, and then setting up a closed loop wavemaker pump with glass lily pipes. IF this works out correctly, the setup should just be glass and inhabitants that are visible!

schgpico-0028.jpg

The tank, waiting to be transferred over.
I don't have a current full status shot, but I did paint the stand a nice dark hunter green to balance the clean tank with a more rustic stand, and cut channels into the top for the tubing to go with room for adjustment side to side.

schgpico-0032.jpg

The stand before I started painting it.
I have a brand new Fiji-12 sump, wavemaker pump, return pump, and heater all ready to go, but am still waiting on the glassware from China... I am likely going to start prepping the rest of the plumbing this week, and prepare for that package to come in so I can hit the ground running once it does. Lighting comes in the flavor of an AI Prime HD that will be fit with the new LUX Engine Gold puck once it ships out from @luxdium, which I am super stoked for.

schgpico-0025.jpg

$75 for a brand new Fiji-12 sump really isn't bad!

Inhabitants are going to be mostly inverts with a few small fish, including the sharknose goby that I have in the current tank. I am likely adding a hi-fin red banded goby and pistol shrimp pair, as well as either a tailspot blenny and/or a green banded goby to fill out the fish side of things. I'll cram as many small reef safe inverts into this tank as I can, as I am always a sucker for crabs and shrimp. Coral will be a mixed bag, with a little bit of SPS and LPS, but mostly zoas and palys as the showcase. I have one rock flower anemone already, and will likely grab a few more to round things out!

schgjpg-0007.jpg

Glassware on the current setup, which should make things nice and clean on the new one.
That's all I have for now, I will update things as I start getting further along in the build. The tank transfer likely won't be until the end of the month with the way shipping from China seems to be going, but I might transfer things over and continue using the canister filter I have on the new tank until the overflow gets here.

Stay tuned!

Last edited:

schg

Country flag
Getting ready to make the switch:

The stands paint is dry, inside and out (minus the doors, I am still working on those...), so I can technically move things over if I want to. I am torn between waiting on the glass plumbing to come in and testing everything or just moving it over now and continuing to use the canister filter for now, which I am more inclined to do. I picked up 10lbs of new sand last night, and will add a little bit of (rinsed) sand from the existing tank, along with some crushed coral for the future goby/pistol shrimp combo to utilize in their home.

schgpico-0035.jpg

Tank mostly set up, just waiting on a few more things.

I am still waiting on a bit of other plumbing pieces to make my life easier with the closed loop setup, as well as a new smart power strip to at least make it easier to turn things on and off as I need to (I don't have controller money right now). I'm itching to get this tank filled though, as I have things starting to grow to rocks that I don't think I will want them on when I have a different aquascape.

Next picture posted will probably be a filled tank!

Count Krunk

Play FIFA 21 (or any game on PC)? PM me!
Country flag
Good looking setup so far. I’ve never seen anyone use lily pipes on a reef tank. Curious your reasoning behind them? Just bc it glass?

not grilling you just curious what over flow safeguards are in place?

and nice profile pic lol.

schg

Country flag
Looks like it's going to be a great setup!

Thanks, I sure hope so!

Good looking setup so far. I’ve never seen anyone use lily pipes on a reef tank. Curious your reasoning behind them? Just bc it glass?

not grilling you just curious what over flow safeguards are in place?

and nice profile pic lol.

lol, I don't even remember how I started using this picture, but it's just kind of stuck...

So I tend to value form over function in cases like this, where I see the aquarium as a whole as a kind of a work of art. I much prefer to have the inhabitants be the showcase of the tank, and have been striving to make an aquarium where you really don't see any equipment at all. I know this can be solved easily and safely by just using a black background, but I wanted to try using all glass to achieve a transparent background and really make this thing pop.

That being said, I don't really have any safeguards for overflow, so I will just have to hope that I don't have issues with that. It is also a small tank, so it won't be absolutely catastrophic if something does happen. I may end up having a webcam to be able to monitor the tank if I need to, and can shut off the pumps remotely using Alexa.

Just an example of my form over function mentality, my daily driver is a bagged STI. Being on air suspension isn't quite as egregious as if I were just this low without the ability to raise my car on the fly, but still...lol

schgjpg-0062.JPG

My bagged 2021 STI Limited.

schg

Country flag
Glassware came in! I am super impressed with the quality of the VIV stuff, I hope it ends up working well once I fill it up. I need to heat up the tubing a bit to get it in a better position, but overall I think things look CLEAN as hell! I am so stoked to transfer this over, but I need to buy some 3/4" tubing for the return line of the closed loop.

UNS45u-0036.jpg

I know the outflow tubing for the closed loop is pretty damn long, but I wanted to get more flow so I opted for the 17mm version.

schg

Country flag
Looks great! Going to try to keep the pipes that clean?

Oh yeah, didn’t think about that. With the light getting to them, they will be a mix of green, purple, pink in no time haha.

I’m hoping to! This fortunately isn’t my first time dealing with glass lily pipes, so I am used to dealing with it and it isn’t so bad. I do need to get another quick disconnect for one tube, but I have the plumbing set up so allow me to take it apart easily for cleaning.

schg

Country flag
Dealing with a bit of a post-transfer bacterial bloom right now. I'm not sure if it has to do with the transfer itself, the new sand, a bit of a hot spell I had yesterday before adding a fan to the sump, or a combination of factors. I did a 40% change just a bit ago, and will probably do another one tomorrow to help speed things along in clearing up. Current shot of the setup, still a bit hazy from the bloom.

UNS45u-0038.jpg

schg

Country flag
Things have cleared up completely the tank is looking much happier already. The SPS I thought were goners don't seem completely out yet, although there is quite a bit of skeleton showing on some of them. So far only three pieces affected, hoping they can recover but they were all free either way.

I'll grab a photo a bit later today to show the tank a bit better, but this setup seriously looks SO clean in person. Looking head on, the glass really almost just entirely disappears inside the tank.

I put in an order for some inverts from Reef Cleaners, which will ship Monday and hopefully be here first thing Tuesday. The order was for the following:
  • Babylon Snail
  • Bumble Bee Snails
  • Cortez Cerith Snails
  • Dwarf Cerith Snails
  • Dwarf Planaxis Snails
  • Dwarf Trochus Snails
  • East African Cerith Snails
  • Limpets
  • Money Cowries
  • Nerite Snails
  • Virgin Nerite Snails
  • Pom-Pom Crab
  • Candy Cane Pistol Shrimp
  • Porcelain Anemone Crab

Some of this will be going in the sump as I prepare for that to be a diverse environment as well, but I am excited to start getting more inverts into this tank. I'll wait for the pistol shrimp to make sure it arrives okay, and then pick up my Hi-Fin Goby I want so I can see how they rearrange the sand bed. 😛

schg

Country flag
I adjusted the scape a little bit already, as I was having a hard time envisioning how certain things would grow in with the old one. The new one looks a little boring from the front in photos, but looks great in person and looks especially good from other angles. I also think it has some nice open space in the middle for activities (or a nice little ric garden!).

First proper FTS:
UNS45u-0039.jpg

From above:
UNS45u-0040.jpg

And a semi-side shot to show the business of the glasswork on that side, but it really still isn't as obtrusive as other options.
UNS45u-0041.jpg

schg

Country flag
How did the sump turn out?

Right, I guess I forgot to take a picture of that. It turned out well, although I do need to get some more rock for the refugium, and find a light that works well for the space. I’ll grab a shot of it sometime this weekend.

I should also mention that I’m using clear tubing for everything that needs tubing, not just what’s visible outside of the stand. I need to replace what’s in the stand with black vinyl soon to keep things easier to clean.

schg

Country flag
Received my @luxdium Gold puck today, initial impressions:

Installation was quick and easy, no issues whatsoever. Played around with the presets that Lux provided, and do really like the crispness of their "Optimized III" full spectrum preset, its a really much better looking white overall. I am going to need to mess around with a new schedule layout, and will likely need to borrow a PAR meter to make sure I am not cooking my coral here, but I REALLY like the spectrum so far. I was also able to get a really nice showoff blue with their "Ultra Pop" preset, I think this will give great results over time.

schg

Country flag
Took this for someone on Facebook, but figured I would show it on the forums as well. I will have to think of a more elegant solution for the fan eventually, but it is doing the trick right now. The yellow/orange outlet box is for the float switch, which I am trying to set up in the display as cleanly as possible. Hoping the switch will disappear as much as possible, but it is worth it for the safety factor of shutting off my pump in the event of a potential overflow.

The Y split clear tubing is attached to the AQQA wavemaker pump I have, and is how I get most of my water flow.

UNS45u-0042.jpg

schg

Country flag
Decided to try to grab some photos of the new puck from Lux, just to give an idea of the spectrum and presets they recommend. Just as a reminder, this is the @luxdium Gold puck shown on an AI Prime HD. These photos are mostly unedited, although I tried to get the Ultra Pop preset a bit closer to how it looks in real life (unsuccessfully):

Optimized III:
UNS45u-0043.jpg

Ultra Pop:
UNS45u-0044.jpg

Ultra Blue:
UNS45u-0045.jpg

Reef Daylight:
UNS45u-0046.jpg