Secrets to Quickly Cycling Your Tank virtual event with Dr. Timothy Hovanec Nov-27, 10am PST

RSVP  Print

Event start date: Saturday 2021-11-27
Event end date: Saturday 2021-11-27
Registration ends: Sunday 2021-11-28
Maximum: 100
Username Guest count Note
OZ_SPS OZ_SPS 1 I can’t wait
M msporleder 1  
Godsdoc Godsdoc 1  
DesertCitiesReefing DesertCitiesReefing 1  
intense37716 intense37716 1  
Kyl Kyl 1  
Dr. Dendrostein Dr. Dendrostein 1  
Sustainable Marine Sustainable Marine 1  
smsreef smsreef 1  
bluerider098 bluerider098 1 Don't know my schedule, but want to attend.
TORREYA TORREYA 1  
oceanfrontinNE oceanfrontinNE 1  
F FEED ME ZOAS 1 Looking forward to it!
Fishtal Fishtal 1  
J Jon from TerraReef 1  
drstardust drstardust 1  
Dierks Dierks 1 Whoohoo!!
P Piper 1  
Surfzone Surfzone 1  
P Preerecord 1  
rob.bucek rob.bucek 1  
gnzake gnzake 1  

Users who are viewing this thread

OZ_SPS

Country flag
Hello all,

We are closing the year with a bang. Our next virtual event is with one of the industry giants. Dr. Timothy Hovanec. The event will be on Saturday, November, 27th, 2020, 10am PST

Dr. Tim needs no introductions, we all have learned from him, used his innovative products and benefited from his research and developments in the hobby directly or indirectly. I personally, diligently follow Dr. Tim and read any of his work material I can get my hands on. Seriously, just watch some of his talks and you will realize the meaning of the phrase “If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”.

I am super excited to have the chance to watch him again and have the chance to ask him questions. I know I will ask him about Cyano and its relationship to PO4 and NO3.

Am sorry its bit of a short notice, coordinating with Dr. Tim’s busy calendar was bit challenging, but he was gracious in to accommodating us.

Please RSVP and mark your calendar to receive the session information’s. This one is going to be GOOD!

In the mean while I will leave you with some of his MACNA talks to enjoy and learn.

About Dr.Tim

About Dr. Tim | DrTim's Aquatics

Dr. Hovanec earned his Ph.D. in Ecology, Evolution and Marine Biology at the University of California, Santa Barbara, where he investigated the phylogenetics of nitrifying bacteria in aquaria and Mono Lake, California. Dr. Hovanec was the first to demonstrate that bacteria of the phylum Nitrospira were the active nitrite-oxidizing bacteria in aquatic systems such as aquaria. His work on nitrifying bacteria has led to the discovery of many new species of nitrifying bacteria in freshwater and saltwater systems and the granting of several U.S. and foreign patents, with additional patents pending. He has also conducted much research on topics such as ammonia excretion and toxicity in aquatic organisms, bio-filtration systems design and fish feed formulations.

At Marineland, Dr. Hovanec was in charge of the biology, chemistry and microbial ecology laboratories that comprise Marineland Labs. He was also responsible for overseeing the quality control of such products as Instant Ocean® sea salt and BioSpira® nitrifying bacteria.

Dr. Hovanec has authored numerous scientific papers in aquatic microbial ecology, and in public aquaria and aquaculture fields, and he writes popular articles on tropical fish for several magazines. He has been an invited speaker and contributing author at several domestic and international conferences. He was the editor of SeaScope® magazine and is a member of many scientific organizations. His past positions include a U.S. Peace Corps volunteer in the Philippines, university research assistant, biologist and manager at an intensive striped bass aquaculture facility and consultant on various aquaculture projects.

Dr. Hovanec was the President of the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council, a Washington, D.C. based industry lobbying group, for 5 years and was a member of the Board from 1992 to 2002. Dr. Hovanec has also served as the Co-chair and Program Chair for Marine Ornamentals, a combined government-private, industry scientific conference that occurs every 2 years. Dr Hovanec is also on the steering committee for Aquality – a public aquarium symposium that is held every 5 to 7 years.

Last edited:

OZ_SPS

Country flag

saf1

Country flag
Hello all,

We are closing the year with a bang. Our next virtual event is with one of the industry giants. Dr. Timothy Hovanec. The event will be on Saturday, November, 27th, 2020, 10am PST

Dr. Tim needs no introductions, we all have learned from him, used his innovative products and benefited from his research and developments in the hobby directly or indirectly. I personally, diligently follow Dr. Tim and read any of his work material I can get my hands on. Seriously, just watch some of his talks and you will realize the meaning of the phrase “If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”.

I am super excited to have the chance to watch him again and have the chance to ask him questions. I know I will ask him about Cyano and its relationship to PO4 and NO3.

Am sorry its bit of a short notice, coordinating with Dr. Tim’s busy calendar was bit challenging, but he was gracious in to accommodating us.

Please RSVP and mark your calendar to receive the session information’s. This one is going to be GOOD!

In the mean while I will leave you with some of his MACNA talks to enjoy and learn.

About Dr.Tim

About Dr. Tim | DrTim's Aquatics

Dr. Hovanec earned his Ph.D. in Ecology, Evolution and Marine Biology at the University of California, Santa Barbara, where he investigated the phylogenetics of nitrifying bacteria in aquaria and Mono Lake, California. Dr. Hovanec was the first to demonstrate that bacteria of the phylum Nitrospira were the active nitrite-oxidizing bacteria in aquatic systems such as aquaria. His work on nitrifying bacteria has led to the discovery of many new species of nitrifying bacteria in freshwater and saltwater systems and the granting of several U.S. and foreign patents, with additional patents pending. He has also conducted much research on topics such as ammonia excretion and toxicity in aquatic organisms, bio-filtration systems design and fish feed formulations.

At Marineland, Dr. Hovanec was in charge of the biology, chemistry and microbial ecology laboratories that comprise Marineland Labs. He was also responsible for overseeing the quality control of such products as Instant Ocean® sea salt and BioSpira® nitrifying bacteria.

Dr. Hovanec has authored numerous scientific papers in aquatic microbial ecology, and in public aquaria and aquaculture fields, and he writes popular articles on tropical fish for several magazines. He has been an invited speaker and contributing author at several domestic and international conferences. He was the editor of SeaScope® magazine and is a member of many scientific organizations. His past positions include a U.S. Peace Corps volunteer in the Philippines, university research assistant, biologist and manager at an intensive striped bass aquaculture facility and consultant on various aquaculture projects.

Dr. Hovanec was the President of the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council, a Washington, D.C. based industry lobbying group, for 5 years and was a member of the Board from 1992 to 2002. Dr. Hovanec has also served as the Co-chair and Program Chair for Marine Ornamentals, a combined government-private, industry scientific conference that occurs every 2 years. Dr Hovanec is also on the steering committee for Aquality – a public aquarium symposium that is held every 5 to 7 years.

I hope this gains some traction. My only concern is the time of year. He has a lot of passion and been in the hobby for a very long time. He is a great presenter and speaker. Handles criticism very well on his products from the various threads I've read over the years. And I mean a lot because it seems someone always has an opinion on products.

I've personally never met him but he seems like a great person.

OZ_SPS

Country flag
It's going to be awesome and fun. Dr.Tim is really one to admire. We need ppl like him more. We need ppl like him to speak more and we need to encourage reefers to interstate the difference between a personslity who happens to run a tank vs a scientist who research...
Come join us @saf1.

saf1

Country flag
It's going to be awesome and fun. Dr.Tim is really one to admire. We need ppl like him more. We need ppl like him to speak more and we need to encourage reefers to interstate the difference between a personslity who happens to run a tank vs a scientist who research...
Come join us @saf1.

That is a difficult day for me but let me see what I can do. I really do enjoy his talks. In fact I recently placed an order for Waste Away.

Edit: forgot to say thanks for the heads up also and hope all is well with you and yours.

OZ_SPS

Country flag
For those of us overseas (ie Australia), will there be a recording? 4:30 am is a bit rough :p
Yes sir there will. Just not released immediately.
If you have a question you would like me to ask on your behalf by all means post it. I'll do my best to ask it

(dumping questions for when I inevitably can't make the actual meeting)

waste away gels are awesome. Why can't I get more stuff in gel form? Can Dr Tim release his gel recipe so we can DIY slow-release coral foods?

Do you think Eco-Balance fights STN/vibrio?

You often say "corals filter feed bacteria" but coral foods are all powdered fish food. Do amino mixes contain any bacteria? Do you know which bacteria are eaten by which corals?

Does carbon filter our your bacteria products?

Last edited:

OZ_SPS

Country flag