Special Needs Purple Tang

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
I sometimes get in fish with various disabilities, and I believe this Purple Tang is either blind or has very bad eyesight. He seems to be able to distinguish rocks (i.e. doesn’t bump into them), but has difficulty snatching food out of the water column. So, what I’ve done is setup a feeding station for him (pics below) to rubberband nori to a rock and stick Masstick, tablets, etc. to an empty clam shell.

I’ve spent a great deal of time working with him to live with his condition, and it’s very important to me that he goes to the right home. I think he would do best in a smaller tank without aggressive fish who would probably outcompete him for food i.e. other herbivores. You would also need to resupply his “feeding station” daily - takes just a few minutes. It’s possible he might regain his eyesight in time, but I can’t guarantee that. PM me if interested and we’ll see if we can work out a deal. Pics & video below.

695BA9B5-EECD-4041-A9A1-BB30CEE9064C.jpeg
FF8A8D25-823D-45FC-B772-4EF9F1308478.jpeg

Leahfiish

He looks pretty healthy to me, if you hadn't mentioned it, I wouldn't know that he has special needs from the video alone. Great work, I'm sure you'll be able to find a good home for him. :)

Jim McNamara

So it would eat algae off rocks and nori as supplied? Wonder if it would fit my 120? Has the pyramid, Bannerfish and the Bimac. If I put nori out none bother it really. I really thought the pyramid would eat algae but not much.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
So it would eat algae off rocks and nori as supplied? Wonder if it would fit my 120? Has the pyramid, Bannerfish and the Bimac. If I put nori out none bother it really. I really thought the pyramid would eat algae but not much.
He stays "low to the ground" and doesn't swim laps near the surface like other tangs do. He moves about just fine and even seems able to avoid rocks, but never strays too far from his feeding station area. The reason I am pretty sure he can't see too well is he will sometimes bump into my hand (and then jump back) when I'm feeding him. I think he sees images (just not in focus); because if he was completely blind he should be bumping into rocks, glass, etc. And he never does that.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Hey it’s travis. So what’s the story on the purple tang
He came to me with a shipment of fish that was delayed by the airlines and many of these fish had been exposed to ammonia in the bags. @Aaronhome27 will remember this shipment well, as we didn't get home from the airport until almost midnight with it. :p

My theory is the ammonia intake damaged this Purple Tang's optic nerves, and he is either partially or fully blind. In the past few days he does seem to be getting better at taking food from the water column, so it's possible his eye sight is slowly improving.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
No happy ending yet. He is getting better at picking food out of the water column. Sometimes it takes him a try or two, but he usually gets a morsel. Moves on to the next piece of food. This suggests to me that he is not completely blind, but probably still has very poor eyesight. He definitely wouldn't be able to compete with aggressive eaters unless his vision continues to improve.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
I think he would do well in my 660g. Price shipped to WI 53081?
He's doing A LOT better now. Picking food right out of the water column and eating nori on a clip. He's acting more like a tang, so I'm hoping his eyesight is returning.

I'd like to put him in another tank (with more aggressive fish) to see how well he competes for food before selling him.