Taking care of paralyzed wrasse

Users who are viewing this thread

zsxking

Country flag
This is not something you will see often, or at all. I have this poor wrasse that is appeared to suffer spine injury and is unable to swim normally. So it can't get itself to the food to feed. Thus, I need to hand feed it every day.
It has been 2 week since the injury. I totally didn't thought it would survive after the incident. But after a week, it still kicking, so I tried to feed it directly, and it took the food. It's recovering some mobility now. When I started feeding it, it can't even swim up, just lied in the corner. It was easier to feed that way though. Now it can move somehow, it's harder for me to get the food into its mouth. Basically, part of the food need to get into its mouth, like the tail of a mysis, then it will suck the food piece in. It likes PE mysis the best. It hates copped table shrimp lol.

Don't know how long it will last in this state, or if it will fully recover at all. It's not like there is physical therapy available for fish. Just want to share.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Country flag
I wonder if the injury would heal given enough time. I mean if the rhomboid keeps eating for a few months, would it eventually be able to swim properly? If it does wouldn't it change our view on spinal injuries? OP, I commend you for doing this, please keep us updated.
I've never saved a wrasse with a spinal injury that severe. :(

zsxking

Country flag
I will keep you all updated.

I do wonder one thing, how much should I feed?

I usually feed it like 5 or so piece of mysis. Now that I got better at it, it took about 5 mins. So far I have yet to feed it to a point that it refuse eating, so I'm not sure if it haven't got fed to full yet, or didn't have the ability to refuse, like swim away. Can I feed it too much that choke it?

It's not moving much because of the injury, mostly just kept flapping the pectoral fins. But does that mean its energy consumption is low? It will also require more energy to heal. The tail fin has yet to grow back full. The tip of it was healed up, but the torn gaps are still there. A healthy fish usually grow it back within a week, right? I think that's usually the case when fish in my tank fights. Does it mean its not getting enough food for recovering?

zsxking

Country flag
Does he move around much or mostly just lay on the bottom? If the latter, then feeding 1-2x daily should be fine since he's not burning through many calories.

He don't move around much. I have to get him in that acclimation box. If I let him flow around, he will get stuck on the filter intake. But it also need to take into account the additional nutrition needed for healing, doesn't it?

I really tried to feed him as much as possible tonight and he ate 10 pieces before I got tired, lol.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Country flag
He don't move around much. I have to get him in that acclimation box. If I let him flow around, he will get stuck on the filter intake. But it also need to take into account the additional nutrition needed for healing, doesn't it?

I really tried to feed him as much as possible tonight and he ate 10 pieces before I got tired, lol.
10 pieces is pretty awesome! :love:

I would strategize around feeding him small meals, but multiple times per day, if possible.

zsxking

Country flag
He has been regaining more mobility now compares to a week ago. He can swim up and down, or dash forward a bit. But he can't put his body in horizontal position. It's always straight up. Also he can't stop himself from spinning.

So I'm wondering, which part of the fish control the balance/direction of the body?

Soaknl the food in vitamins too if you aren't already