Question of the Day Tall & Wide

Users who are viewing this thread

My door frames are only 30” wide, so I’m limited to 28” in either height or width. I just requested some quotes for a 30x30x27 with a 28” tall stand. My 180 (60x30x24) sits on a 28” stand for this very reason, otherwise I’d have done 60x30x30 with a 32-36” stand.

Short story long, 30” would be my max if I wasn’t limited by my door. I have no max on width or length

andrewkw

Country flag
I really want a taller tank. I think 30" would be good maybe 32" Yes they are harder to reach but I don't know about you but I spend a lot more time looking at my tank then reaching for the bottom. A tall tank just looks so much bigger. As for width as wide as you can go! Obviously there are some limitations budget usually being the first thing, but then house limitations like @dwwataz mentions. Of course this is the reason marineland builds the deep dimension tanks on an impossibly short stand.

I almost got a 30” deep tank but tried to get my arm down to the bottom at the store and couldn’t. I ended up getting a 24” deep tank instead.

I would consider a deeper tank in the future if I had a fish only tank where I didn’t need to reach the bottom so often, but 36 I think would be my max height.

My length and width would be determined by how much weight my floor can hold and room size (and bank account). Width would also increase if I set it up as a peninsula and could get to center from both sides.

I almost got a 30” deep tank but tried to get my arm down to the bottom at the store and couldn’t. I ended up getting a 24” deep tank instead.

I would consider a deeper tank in the future if I had a fish only tank where I didn’t need to reach the bottom so often, but 36 I think would be my max height.

My length and width would be determined by how much weight my floor can hold and room size (and bank account). Width would also increase if I set it up as a peninsula and could get to center from both sides.
Maintenance is a much bigger pain when you get wet up to your armpit vs. elbow :)

intense37716

Country flag
My door frames are only 30” wide, so I’m limited to 28” in either height or width. I just requested some quotes for a 30x30x27 with a 28” tall stand. My 180 (60x30x24) sits on a 28” stand for this very reason, otherwise I’d have done 60x30x30 with a 32-36” stand.

Short story long, 30” would be my max if I wasn’t limited by my door. I have no max on width or length
Until I got to the bottom I was going to say door frames can be removed along with the side of a wall 😉

Vette67

Still learning after almost 25 years reefing
Country flag
I’m 6’4” and weight about 170. So I am tall and not wide.

Oh, you meant tank size. I wanted to order a 390 gallon tank, 96 x 30 x 32. But I can’t fit an 8 foot tank in my house. 32” was the deepest I was willing to go. Much deeper, and it is hard to get intense enough lighting to penetrate deep enough. So it was lighting that was my limiter. And as was said earlier, the 30” width allowed it to get through the front door.

Maybe in my next house…

andrewkw

Country flag
I got a new powerhead last week so I did reach the bottom of my tank since my elegance got knocked over, however excluding that I can’t recall the last time I had to reach the bottom of my tank. Maybe 10 times a year?

I can see having to get in the tank being a big deal but rolling up my sleeve and not wearing deodorant on one armpit is not even close to a deciding factor for me in height.

I remember the first time I saw a 280 that was 72x30x30 it was also on a tall stand and I couldn’t believe it was “only” 100 gallons more than a standard 180. The extra height and to a lesser extent depth made it look massive.

mjreefs

Country flag
Currently have a 96x24x24 system.

Dad does all the cleaning and he always comments that any higher than 24 would be a PITA to maintain.

Problem is, a 24" height made our tank look smallish thanks to our French Angelfish.

We both want a longer and wider tank though, probably around 120" long and 30" wide. It's just that large tanks are too tiring to maintain and clean lol