Tank app

phatduckk

Country flag
The Apex app has the ability to track parameters. I kind of use that one. But, honestly, I’ve used google sheets as well and that was probably better. You just gotta put in a bit of time to get the graphs looking how you like

KenB

Country flag
I just use Note on my Ipad. No need for much else. I know where I want my parameters so I keep them there.

Rascal

Seeker of enlightenment
Country flag
I use Aquarimate to track all four of my tanks.
That’s the one that seems to have the best reviews that I have found. I like that it will graph your parameters so you can see trends.

The Apex app has the ability to track parameters. I kind of use that one. But, honestly, I’ve used google sheets as well and that was probably better. You just gotta put in a bit of time to get the graphs looking how you like
‘Yea I’m not running an apex so that’s not going to work lol

i was thinking about building spreadsheets in excel but I’m not the best at that

ChrisNH

Country flag
I write everything in a notebook as I test, then punch it into aquatic log. Its not without its quirks but it is free, provides cloud access on PC and mobile, and provides the data in a format that is easy to use in R.

clsanchez77

20 Year Noob
Country flag
I historically used spreadsheets and plan to go back that way.

For a while, I was using the Apex interface. However I had several issues with it. For one, my mind is very analytical and a historical tracking of parameter values is useless if I can't do anything with the data. With the spreadsheet, I can flag numeric trends and integrate dosing calculations, both corrective and long term. Second issue is when the ethernet port on my Apex fried a few years ago, I lost all access to my data. Neptune swapped out the base unit for me, but I had to create a new tank profile and lost all my data. Then my current base unit fried in an electrical storm, so once again, I cannot access the data. You are locked out of the Apex interface if the interface cannot interact with your Apex base unit. I'm done with Apex and not looking back.

In the future, I am looking at the PLC and HMI route and I am seeing what I can integrate into an HMI. Unfortunately, the ones that are "affordable" for a hobby type project don't really offer anything for what I want, so I may return back to spreadsheets. Building my own HMI is out of my league. A Raspberry Pi with an HMI overlay and an integral spreadsheet might be an option, but I have not looked into it yet.

So as of now, looks like I am going back to spreadsheets.

Rascal

Seeker of enlightenment
Country flag
I was looking at getting into Apex but there seems to be issues and can get very expensive to do a full integration. While I can see the benefits it brings I can also see that the more features any product has the more potential failure points and pitfalls. You would think by now Apex would have a more reliable product that’s built to last more than a couple of years (maybe) and in the event of a failure have a way to regain lost data. I think most reefers tend to be short sighted so they don’t really feel the need for long term data. I know a export/import data feature should be very easy to do since there are lots of products with that feature so one could export to Excel or any of the numeric programs to backup or graph as one sees fit. As with most products if you have lacking software it’s just not going to perform as one would hope.

I was thinking about building spreadsheets and might give it a try if nothing else just to learn how to do it. Just what I need now is another project 🤣🤣🤣.

clsanchez77

20 Year Noob
Country flag
You would think by now Apex would have a more reliable product that’s built to last more than a couple of years (maybe) and in the event of a failure have a way to regain lost data. I think most reefers tend to be short sighted so they don’t really feel the need for long term data. I know a export/import data feature should be very easy to do since there are lots of products with that feature so one could export to Excel or any of the numeric programs to backup or graph as one sees fit. As with most products if you have lacking software it’s just not going to perform as one would hope.
My *opinion* is that Neptune has prioritized developing proprietary accessories with the least R&D costs in order to further lock-in a whole ecosystem. The Trident may be the only exception, but I have my reservations there too. Every feature they have already exists in industry. But their approach has been to force each feature into a closed ecosystem instead of adopting industry standards. So many examples I could give lol, but its a sidetrack from this thread.

I am still looking for my old spreadsheet, and I think I was looking for it a few years ago and could not find it then either. May just develop a new one and share it here lol.

lmm1967

Country flag
Finally have grafana pulling stats from my controllers (apex & reef-pi) - partial view below.

When I have time I'll integrate other manual testing on the same dashboard.

I can flag things like water changes etc on the timelines as necessary. The aquarium temperature chart has some green lines as an example

graphs.jpg