The Official Invert Q & A Thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

TheWyldZone

Send Nudis
Quarantined Livestock
Vendor
Country flag
Got a question about your invertebrates? Ask here!

I made this thread to concentrate invert related posts. This way they get a bit more traction and interest on this forum, without requiring a separate thread every time.

Also as the resident invert nerd I'm automatically opting @35ppt in to this thread whether he agrees or not. Humblefish thanks you for your service sir.

35ppt

Department of Agitation and Propaganda
Country flag
Got a question about your invertebrates? Ask here!

I made this thread to concentrate invert related posts. This way they get a bit more traction and interest on this forum, without requiring a separate thread every time.

Also as the resident invert nerd I'm automatically opting @35ppt in to this thread whether he agrees or not. Humblefish thanks you for your service sir.
Always happy to help if I can! 😄

TheWyldZone

Send Nudis
Quarantined Livestock
Vendor
Country flag
How many snails should someone buy? Or even cuc in general. I've gone off of melevs recommendation of 1 critter per gal and looking to buy more.
There is no 1 size fits all. And I find it weird that there's a # of inverts to gallons rule. It doesn't work.
For example. I can place 50 Elysia pratensis slugs in a .5 gallon and it can be fine. But you wouldn't want to put 50 hermits in a .5 or else it's gonna get very stinky.

I recommend people buy a starter cuc which is a basic snail set (cerith, astraea, Nassarius and nerite) to match their tank size (which there is no golden rule for) and then add to the cuc based on observable issues.

Hair algae you add hares. Turf you add urchins. Got detritus? Get some hermits and Nassarius. And so on. But I don't like the idea of 1 size even remotely fits all.

Every tank is different. Every cuc should match the tank needs. That's my 2 cents.

Dierks

FisHotel Concierge
Quarantined Livestock
Vendor
Country flag
Can you recommend a CUC for a 75-gallon tank with a Valentini Puffer in it? I do have gravel as well...

I have tuffs of GHA that pop up in pretty decent clumps but zero Coraline Algae so if that ever comes about I would like to keep it. Any thoughts? Most of my snails are now gone, I do have the tiny snails that are in the sand but that is really about it. I clearly can't have shrimp or crabs or my Valentinii would have lunch most likely...

Can you recommend a CUC for a 75-gallon tank with a Valentini Puffer in it? I do have gravel as well...

I have tuffs of GHA that pop up in pretty decent clumps but zero Coraline Algae so if that ever comes about I would like to keep it. Any thoughts? Most of my snails are now gone, I do have the tiny snails that are in the sand but that is really about it. I clearly can't have shrimp or crabs or my Valentinii would have lunch most likely...
How does he like echinoderms like stars or urchins?

TheWyldZone

Send Nudis
Quarantined Livestock
Vendor
Country flag
Hmmm…sea hare then? Depends on how hungry the puffer is, if it nips and the hare inks then it’s game over…
Dolabella ink isn't too bad from my experience. Not the best smelling but not particularly toxic. But any major flesh damage to the hare is going to lead to infection and the little dude is toast.

Country flag
No idea, I am hesitant on Urchins because they are bulldozers and I already have zero Coraline algae so if I start growing it at some point I would like to keep it.

You could definitely get cerith snails and asterina starfish which will both reproduce faster than being consumed.

I'd also recommend urchin - maybe a long-spine type for the best survival chance. I have a purple short spine type and he is a little bit of trouble but "bulldozer" is a stretch. I think a puffer would definitely eat him, though, since his spikes are so small.

Otherwise a night shift-only crew for when puffy is asleep? (brittle stars + what else?)

TheWyldZone

Send Nudis
Quarantined Livestock
Vendor
Country flag
No idea, I am hesitant on Urchins because they are bulldozers and I already have zero Coraline algae so if I start growing it at some point I would like to keep it.
Long spines aren't too bad on coralline from current experience but they will trash anything vaguely plant related. At one point they ate my mangroves and the rooted pods.

TheWyldZone

Send Nudis
Quarantined Livestock
Vendor
Country flag
You could definitely get cerith snails and asterina starfish which will both reproduce faster than being consumed.

I'd also recommend urchin - maybe a long-spine type for the best survival chance. I have a purple short spine type and he is a little bit of trouble but "bulldozer" is a stretch. I think a puffer would definitely eat him, though, since his spikes are so small.

Otherwise a night shift-only crew for when puffy is asleep? (brittle stars + what else?)
Could probably get away with some Jellybeans given their nature. Big hermits. Nassarius. Big conch. Sally Lightfoot. There are also MASSIVE nerites and turbos. Doubt the puffer will try with them

These could work I think. But I'll differ to you fish people.

TheWyldZone

Send Nudis
Quarantined Livestock
Vendor
Country flag
Can I know why? :)
Haha that would help 🤣

I find that larger Aplysia handle higher flow much easier than Dolabella frequently seen in the trade such as auricularia. Generally when it comes to slugs in higher flow, you want stuff that lives their lives being smashed by tides. I find Onchidella are the most durable high flow cleaners, but they aren't particularly large. My favourites for high flow are Cali Aplysia. They're super cute, fun to squish and they eat like crazy. Very very strong foot. Don't let them rot in your tank should they die. And their 1 year lifespan is nearly at an end by the time they get in the trade. So don't feel too bad if they die. As long as you feed them they'll be happy. 😊

Did I mention you can feed them Gracilaria as a treat for doing such a good job?

Miami Reef

Haha that would help 🤣

I find that larger Aplysia handle higher flow much easier than Dolabella frequently seen in the trade such as auricularia. Generally when it comes to slugs in higher flow, you want stuff that lives their lives being smashed by tides. I find Onchidella are the most durable high flow cleaners, but they aren't particularly large. My favourites for high flow are Cali Aplysia. They're super cute, fun to squish and they eat like crazy. Very very strong foot. Don't let them rot in your tank should they die. And their 1 year lifespan is nearly at an end by the time they get in the trade. So don't feel too bad if they die. As long as you feed them they'll be happy. 😊

Did I mention you can feed them Gracilaria as a treat for doing such a good job?

Thank you. I bought a Dolabella a month ago and it didn’t last after 2 weeks. A powerhead killed it it seemed since it was attached to it. I did do a little research after the fact and learned that Dolabellas naturally live in low flow sea grass areas.

I really appreciate this information! :)

20220613_181240.jpg

Doctor what do you recommend? I grabbed one of my sump gremlin hermit crabs and it's done some work. 2.5gal and I have some a reset but didn't stay clean for long