The "right" way to feed fish?

phatduckk

Country flag
hi folks,

So this is a dumb question. But what's the right way to feed the fish?

Regarding flow
Do people leave the flow on, turn it off, lower it, turn off return but leave the power heads on etc?

Preparing the food
I toss a variety of frozen stuff into a baby food container (I have liken 7 different foods and pick 3 or 4 at random), thaw it, mix it all up with some vitamins & garlic and store it in the fridge. The mix generally lasts a week. Is that too long to store?

How long/much to feed?
I pipette in some of the mixture, observe who's eating and how much; rinse/repeat till I feel like everyone got "enough". My question is: how much is enough? some of these dudes are more aggressive eaters so I always end up putting in more than I should because "I dunno if I saw fish x eat".

Main issue I have now is I'd working on bringing nitrates down... so I must be feeding too much. The tank looks fine minus a mild case of the uglies so its not an emergency but I want to get a good grasp on it before it snowballs.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
HF Vendor
Country flag
I turn my sump pump off and turn all the wavemakers down to low flow. Some even have a "feeding mode" setting.

I feel seafood can go rancid after 2-3 days in the fridge, so I only thaw + prepare what will last me a couple of days.

I slowly add food to the tank until the fish look like they're starting to lose interest in it. Whatever is leftover, circulating in the water column, the corals/inverts will get.

DexterB

Country flag
FLOW: for slower moving fish like filefish, Toby puffers you can turn circulation fans off so food doesn’t blow as much.
I leave circulation fans on to feed, since my fish can eat without issues. My tank is under stocked so it works.

FOOD; I serve thawed frozen immediately. I put vitamins in a ramekin with frozen & a bit of tank water. Once thawed & soaked I dispense with a turkey baster. Sometimes I thaw 2nd feeding in fridge.
But health guidelines for ppl, suggest you cook fresh fish in 1 to 2 days. Since frozen fish food thaws quickly I would only keep it in fridge for a day, personally.

For aggressive eaters vs timid: I split food in half. Half goes in to water column a little at a time. Other half goes in mesh feeder where more timid fish can graze & get their full amount.

Last edited:

Jessican

Country flag
I use LRS fish frenzy that I cut into cubes. I feed 3-4 cubes 2x a day in the 525, 1 cube 2x a day each in the 170 & Nano, and 1/2 cube 2x a day in the 10g. For the morning feeding, I add Selcon and growth hack probiotics. Sometimes I’ll replace the evening feeding with live blackworms, live brine, or (in the big tank) clams on the half shell. I’ve also been adding a 1/4 sheet of nori to the 525 for the foxface, since that tank is now GHA free thanks to him.

For the actual feeding, I just hold the food with some tongs and let them go at it. I’ll smoosh some up to float around for the less aggressive eaters.

I don’t change anything about flow when feeding, except in the 10g. That tank just has the main pump, which I put into feed mode for 10 min so that the trachy can eat his breakfast.

Since gha. I started only feeding 2 times a day. Not much. Thaw some out. Take a coral feeder suck some up and slowly release in water column with all tunze off. Except return pump. And go slow to make sure food doesn't just go into rocks and few my issue. I use to spoon it in but to much would be wasted so I rather do slow small release a few times a day to get in bellies instead of rock work

tuesdayd

Country flag
I feed about two cubes 3-4 times a day in a 220. A cube-ish of LRS with each feeding plus another cube of either brine, mysis or other frozen concoction. This way they get a variety of brands/foods I also do live brine or worms (harder to find) every other week or so.

I'll pop a cube in to a 200ml beaker and then try to match that amount with LRS. Fill it halfway with tank water and then let it sit for 15 minutes to thaw.

I have a 'feed' mode via WiFi connected power strips that turn off three of the four powerheads, the skimmer and one of two return pumps. The other return is going through my UV so I need to keep that on for cooling, but I manually lower the output. Then I pour the thawed mix in front of the operating powerhead which sort of swirls it around the tank. The aggressive eaters can do their thing, and the others can find food away from them.

Most of the food seems to be gone after a couple of minutes, but when I turn the powerheads back on it throws food back into the water column and the fish have a second round. Sometimes I'll leave the powerheads off for a while to let the crabs have a chance for a meal.

Then put the returns back the way they should be, and after they've had time to move some water the skimmer goes back on.

Repeat several times for Anthias.

huntindoc

Country flag
I have a tank of very aggressive eaters and flow seems to stimulate their feeding response and spread the food out where everyone get's an equal shot at it. Currently feed 4-5 cubes in a 72x24 tank divided in to 2-3 feedings per day. I also feed a sheet of nori every other day and it's eaten by every fish in the tank (multiple wrasses, two tangs, a basslet and 3 zebra barred gobies)

Tamberav

Country flag
I leave the flow on. I thaw it in some tank water and toss enough in so it looks like its snowing. Feed 3-5 times a day. I feed live worms as one of the feedings every day.

I don't worry about overfeeding or use it as a way to control algae.

Badilac

Country flag
I leave flow on full tilt, I break off pieces of frozen LRS and toss it in, it doesn't last long all the tangs and clown trigger attack it. I also feed Nori when I get home and I have an auto feeder that feeds pellets throughout the day. It use to feed every hour 6 times a day but I cut it back to 3 times a day 2 hrs apart. The only frozen I thaw out is Mysis when I feed that.

Paul B

Country flag
I keep food frozen until I feed it. I thaw it in a small container, I normally leave the pumps on unless I have a new fish and it is hiding so I like to "shoot" food near it after I shoot food to the rest of the fish who tear it apart and scare even me. :cool:

I have many different types of fish so I never just dump food in the tank. I have mysis for the large pipefish because they don't eat anything else so I target feed that to where they hang out.
Then I shoot food on the other side of the tank for the other fish and save some for the Gecko Gobies behind the rocks in caves who never come out.

I have a very long, curved "Baster thing" that I make for them .

I use "LRS Fish Frenzy" along with mysis and after they all eat, a few times a week, live white worms or fresh of frozen clams just for the bacteria they need to stay immune.

clsanchez77

20 Year Noob
Country flag
I leave all pumps on. My main pump is turned low (gate valve) to I don't have a large sweeping current that puts everything in the sump. I run two vortechs in the tidal swell mode. All of these things stay put, no feed mode of any kind.

I dump in a random amount of food at random intervals during the day lol. I actually aim for about 10 ml per day. This is roughly equal to 3 cubes of frozen food. I feed in either 2-3 increments of 5 ml, or 1-2 increments of 10 ml, sometimes 4. I use algae in the tank as a guide. I did previously automate this using a peristaltic pump but I learned that peltier fridges fail without warning and put some pretty nasty food in the tank.

My food of choice is the Reef Nutrition liquid foods. I like that they have not been frozen, do not need to be thawed and I can feed in a pinch....which is four kids, I pretty much live in a constant state of being in a pinch.

ChrisNH

Country flag
TIL: white worms are a thing. Culturing them sounds a lot like what I did for springtails when we started up my son’s gecko habitat. I will have to try that when I move past raising bacteria and actually have fish in my tank.

edit: it looks like grindal worms will be more appropriate for my eventual and my daughters current fish.

Last edited:

Reefhog

Country flag
I have a tank of very aggressive eaters and flow seems to stimulate their feeding response and spread the food out where everyone get's an equal shot at it. Currently feed 4-5 cubes in a 72x24 tank divided in to 2-3 feedings per day. I also feed a sheet of nori every other day and it's eaten by every fish in the tank (multiple wrasses, two tangs, a basslet and 3 zebra barred gobies)
This exactly how I feed my 220. I find the fish seem more natural chasing the food around in the current. If you've never seen a clumsy clownfish race around in the strong current zeroing in on a live blackworm, your missing out. And Bangai Cardinals should be called Bangai Dart Fish as fast as they are plucking a moving piece of food with laser precision. There is plenty of food that makes it to low flow areas where my fire fish gobies are hovering waiting to grab some as it drifts by. I feed LRS or Mid Jersey Seaworm/Sponge, in the morning followed by Live blackworms or clam slices in the afternoon. My wife feeds PE or Hikari Mysis in the evenings. Algae sheet a few times a week. I thaw the food in a net and dump it in. I just buy the frozen clams on the half shell by Ocean Nutrition or H2O Life. A large bag lasts quite a while and while twice as expensive as little necks, I prefer the convenience. I slice them up thin while frozen. They thaw right away in the water.

Sashaka

Country flag
I feed twice a day, morning and night with the bulk of the food being a frozen mix of different sized Mysis, krill, , sponge, seaweed, scallops, clams and worms, a variety really. I buy fish food with high sponge contents and what's on sale at the supermarket. I prepare the frozen mix daily; however, when I have to have hubby help with feedings I prepare and freeze individual servings of the mix to make it easy for him to feed the tanks. I thaw in tank water and add vitamins. Sometimes I add garlic if I have a new finicky fish or I think the fish need an immune booster. In the evening I feed mostly pellets and some flakes (yes...I have some fish who really enjoy flakes). I hope to increase the frozen feedings when my order for the aF4 Auto Frozen Fish Food feeder completes development and distribution is done and I have my order in house. I don't turn off my pumps but slowly broadcast food into the tanks. I use large sump socks to catch food that makes it past the feeding frenzy in my tanks, and I just change them often. I know there is some waste this way, but I prefer to let the fish hunt the food rather than spoon feed them. Most of my tanks are FOWLER, so I don't have to worry about overfeeding as much as someone with a huge amount of coral. My fish are fat and satisfied. While being plump might not be the healthiest for them, it makes me happy to see them full bodied as they might look in their natural habitat when the pick'ins are good. :)

Last edited: