The Skimmate Podcast

Thales

Country flag
Hey y'all, if podcasts and reefing are things you like, please check out our podcast, The Skimmate, http://skimmate.com/

"The Skimmate PodCast with Rich and Terence. It’s a podcast, about reef keeping, by two reef keepers that are polarizing enough to be interesting.

Terence says – Rich and I decided that we mattered – to ourselves! And so we wanted to make a podcast that would share our passion for the marine aquarium and reef keeping hobby, our knowledge about it, and most importantly have some fun doing it. So we created The Skimmate Podcast. We hope you join us for about an hour every couple of weeks as we talk (hopefully) about interesting things while giving you some good insight with topics on new products, industry highlights, husbandry tips, and ethical reefkeeping – but most importantly, engage you and make you think.

Rich says – Terence is so straight laced, while I am a nut, so this podcast should be fun."

Here is a link to the episodes on apple, which apparently is the 'good' place to get them and comment.

And here is a link to our Facebook page and the most current episode.

Thanks for checking it out!

mattzang

Country flag
i mean.. if you guys uploaded it to youtube so we could see what you're talking about that'd be awesome!

i don't always listen/watch podcasts on youtube, but it's a nice option. looks like you guys put a couple episodes on there so not quite a novel concept, but i'd love to see it :)

saf1

Country flag
Just caught up and wanted to say enjoyed the Allergic to Effort session. I believe you touched upon a few key points about the hobby specifically around instant solutions and lack of patience. I'm in the camp of effort in reward out and patience mixed in. Nothing in this hobby happens over night or quickly. Honestly learning by success and mistakes makes us all better. Lots of other little nuggets came through about forums, likes, and how that correlates to knowledge.

Keep up the great work - always enjoyable. Oh - also hope your surgery goes well and wish you a speedy recovery. Going on 4th week post op total hip replacement :). I'm going to be out for a bit I guess. Perfect time for pod casts :D

Thales

Country flag
EPISODE 11 - Curbside Reefing
Terence and Rich are back! In this episode we explain the gap in episodes, talk about the corona pandemic, what to do and not do to your tank right now, how to shop and support the local and national industry, and somehow find time to talk about the difference between CaRx and two part. And, it turns out, that Rich’s extra co2 cylinder is full and ready to go.
Podcast available here https://podcasts.apple.com/…/the-skimmate-podc…/id1469164785
>>> PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT DUE TO COVID-19, THIS EPISODE WAS RECORDED OVER THE INTERNET - AUDIO DOES NOT HAVE ITS USUAL QUALITY - WE WILL WORK ON THIS FOR THE NEXT ONE! <<<
Links:
ESV -https://www.esvaquarium.com/
Neptune Aquatics - http://www.neptuneaquatics.com/
Aquatic Collection - https://www.aquaticcollection.com/
Like the show, check us out on Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/skimmate…
Past episodes available at www.skimmate.com

Play

saf1

Country flag
So....are you guys not able to display products in the pod cast? Red can, blue band, mid way through you point to it as you take a sip :). Mini game in the pod cast - guess what Thales is drinking :). Bubly maybe?

Anyway some good gems tucked away in there. Had me in tears with the prayer session - I just see the wheels turning. Terrance's Heniochus butterflyfish trolling him in the back ground (from a previous discussion / podcast). The diving sounded interesting and also stressful. I'm really glad that worked out. I'm so used to diving in Monterey we do not see much drift style diving although I've done a few dives in Cozumel. Really glad you guys got the samples. So cool what you do at work and glad they continue to support/run that project.

I was going to ask what corals you are putting in your lab to test in October? Well, that you are considering. I know you are looking at the bigger shipping logistics (commendable btw - we should all be doing that) but was curious. I have snails and rose bubble tip anemones spawning but no corals. Not like I can black out my tank but I would like to put something in there that could - thus my question.

In any case you and Terrance have great chemistry and you are both good at this. Really, like two radio disc jockeys. Keep up the great work both with podcast and your day job.

scubabeth

Country flag
I also listened this morning to this one; it was my first that I'd gotten around to listening to, despite my earlier best of intentions. Very enjoyable--I have downloaded the prior episodes to my phone for listening...now that I have loads of time to listen to podcasts. :oops: I liked hearing a bit about the Palau trip and your corals to come (maybe!) , since I'd read about and seen some of your pics here. Agreed that the bantering between you and Terrance is fun to listen to--I always love to hear laughter when folks are talking about (mostly) fun topics.

So glad you began to post here, as I hadn't been familiar with you on R2R. I was missing out on a lot of knowledge! On an aside, it was cool that Brew12 wrote in with a question, as I've read his posts on R2R in the past. I felt like I was already part of the podcast family! :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, thank you for sharing them here, and looking forward to more!

Thales

Country flag
So....are you guys not able to display products in the pod cast? Red can, blue band, mid way through you point to it as you take a sip :). Mini game in the pod cast - guess what Thales is drinking :). Bubly maybe?
Ha! You are the first one to notice that! That was me being a doof to see if anyone noticed!

Anyway some good gems tucked away in there. Had me in tears with the prayer session - I just see the wheels turning.
I don't remember that! WHat did we say?

Terrance's Heniochus butterflyfish trolling him in the back ground (from a previous discussion / podcast). The diving sounded interesting and also stressful. I'm really glad that worked out. I'm so used to diving in Monterey we do not see much drift style diving although I've done a few dives in Cozumel. Really glad you guys got the samples. So cool what you do at work and glad they continue to support/run that project.
Thanks so much!

I was going to ask what corals you are putting in your lab to test in October? Well, that you are considering. I know you are looking at the bigger shipping logistics (commendable btw - we should all be doing that) but was curious. I have snails and rose bubble tip anemones spawning but no corals. Not like I can black out my tank but I would like to put something in there that could - thus my question.
Slightly on hold now, but hopefully acros from Tonga. I would like to do two species. A. hy so we can compare with what is going on in the Albright lab, and then some other prettier species. Any coral should work, you just have to get them on track to develop gamets and spawn when you want them too.

In any case you and Terrance have great chemistry and you are both good at this. Really, like two radio disc jockeys. Keep up the great work both with podcast and your day job.
Thank you so so much. It means a lot.

Thales

Country flag
I also listened this morning to this one; it was my first that I'd gotten around to listening to, despite my earlier best of intentions. Very enjoyable--I have downloaded the prior episodes to my phone for listening...now that I have loads of time to listen to podcasts. :oops: I liked hearing a bit about the Palau trip and your corals to come (maybe!) , since I'd read about and seen some of your pics here. Agreed that the bantering between you and Terrance is fun to listen to--I always love to hear laughter when folks are talking about (mostly) fun topics.

So glad you began to post here, as I hadn't been familiar with you on R2R. I was missing out on a lot of knowledge! On an aside, it was cool that Brew12 wrote in with a question, as I've read his posts on R2R in the past. I felt like I was already part of the podcast family! :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, thank you for sharing them here, and looking forward to more!
My pleasure and thanks so much!

Thales

Country flag
This podcast is incredible. If you haven't listened to it, you need to.

Props again to @Humblefish for this forum. I don't think I would have learned about the podcast without this forum.

Thanks so much. It means so much. We were going to record a new episode last week, but with all that was going on I just couldn't. Hopefully this week. I will let you know, and again, thank you

Thales

Country flag