Thoughts on Aquascaping

DexterB

When I planned my aquascape I wanted it to be visually appealing (to me at least :) ). But my main criteria were:
* Large open spaces for fish to swim through
* Lots of caves both big & small for sleeping or security for shy fish
* Some open areas so that aquascape can be adjusted as fish grow

I actually work in design (home interiors), so you would think I would concentrate on the “design”of the live rock etc. But I add & adjust according to what seems to provide my fish with a calming environment. I have mostly easy corals & even a few fake corals. The fake corals are reef safe. I ordered them from Ocean Aquaria. But my fish enjoy them. My Valentini puffer even sleeps in one.

I thought I would share this because your reef should be what you personally enjoy & an environment where you fish thrive. Yes I have had a few die hard reef hobbyists tell me that they are aghast, that I would use faux coral at all. But life is too short not to value your own opinion. So yes I have used about 3 faux corals & it has worked well for me. With just 3 fake corals, I only have to scrub them minimally every 3 to 4 months.

Pics attached:
Early rock scraping before corals. Arch & caves. Easy corals like toadstools & pipe organ coral. Faux acropora with photo-bomber blonde Naso.
So my thought on aquascaping is your fish provide the real beauty, so make it functional for them first & foremost with lots of open swimming space & caves for rest.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dierks

That looks great!! We get enough of other peoples options shoved down our throat that if you cant have your own style here I guess you cant have a style at all. I love your tank and I love your photo bomber!! Keep up the great work and I think your head is in the right place, I want my tank to be about my fish as well, I have always said my corals come 2nd.

DexterB

That looks great!! We get enough of other peoples options shoved down our throat that if you cant have your own style here I guess you cant have a style at all. I love your tank and I love your photo bomber!! Keep up the great work and I think your head is in the right place, I want my tank to be about my fish as well, I have always said my corals come 2nd.
Thank you! I appreciate that.
Our Blonde Naso was a charmer the instant he got into the tank. Bobby had told us about his love of bloodworms. Our naso gets so excited over bloodworms that he 'twerks' & twitches just like my CBB.