Question of the Day Trigger fish? Who loves them and what is your favorite?

Users who are viewing this thread

If I ever have a fish only I would consider these 2, which are my absolute favorites.
first, because of the name and because it’s Hawaii’s state fish: humuhumunukunukuapuaa
29CC2475-E399-4E19-96DB-85776C5B407D.jpeg
Second because they are so gorgeous and different: Clown Trigger
35D13154-A3C4-463D-BCDC-E6213C66AC1E.jpeg

andrewkw

Country flag
I've only ever kept a couple. A pink tail trigger was one of my first fish which quickly died of velvet when I got my first big tank in 2006. I more recently had a female blue throat who was always super skittish and one day got herself stuck in the rock and died after only about a year.

I've always wanted a sargassum trigger but crosshatch are probably the most beautiful imo.

If I ever have a fish only I would consider these 2, which are my absolute favorites.
first, because of the name and because it’s Hawaii’s state fish: humuhumunukunukuapuaa
View attachment 40443
View attachment 40444
Pretty sure the first picture is not humuhumunukunukuapuaa from Hawaii. It's more like a Picasso. humuhumunukunukuapuaa looks like this
download.jpeg

Pretty sure the first picture is not humuhumunukunukuapuaa from Hawaii. It's more like a Picasso. humuhumunukunukuapuaa looks like this
View attachment 40536
Don’t know, you may be right. And don’t remember from diving there. Maybe @eatbreakfast can let us know because there seems to be a lot of problems with common name.
8B78F930-1338-47A4-8F71-C515BCE4B1BE.jpeg

Don’t know, you may be right. And don’t remember from diving there. Maybe @eatbreakfast can let us know because there seems to be a lot of problems with common name.View attachment 40539
Interesting, apparently both triggers have the same Hawaiian name. I guess I shouldn't be surprise when one common names cover more than one species.
Screenshot 2021-09-09 14.27.24.png

Hawaii's state fish is Rhinecanthus rectangulus, not Rhinecanthus aculeatus.

eatbreakfast

Country flag
View attachment 40443
View attachment 40444

View attachment 40536
Both of you are right!
Interesting, apparently both triggers have the same Hawaiian name. I guess I shouldn't be surprise when one common names cover more than one species.
View attachment 40542
Humuhumu is Hawaiian for all triggers. Nukuapua refers to rectangulus and aculeatus.

Monica

Country flag
I would love a Humu (Picasso), but my five foot tank is just a bit too small. 5’x1.5”x2’. And I do have a few corals, so maybe one day if I have a FOWLR.…