How To Use DMSO to dissolve medications

Users who are viewing this thread

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Location
Wandering Nomad
Country flag
Edit: The following ratios were provided by @Dierks:

So I threw together a couple of videos (below) to show how to use DMSO to dissolve medications which are not easily water soluble. These include API General Cure, praziquantel and fenbendazole. I buy DMSO (Dimethyl sulfoxide) at Tractor Supply in the horse (equestrian) products section: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/dmso-16-fl-oz (You want the liquid, NOT the gel.)

Praziquantel dosage range is 2.0-2.5 mg/L (7.57-9.5 mg/gal): Praziquantel

In his book, Noga states: "Immersion is more efficacious when praziquantel is dissolved in dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) rather than ethanol (Treves-Brown 2000)."

Fenbendazole dosage is 25 mg/L (95 mg/gallon) for 12 hours: Fenbendazole

(Sorry about the loud stirring noise.)

Using DMSO to dissolve praziquantel



Using DMSO to dissolve fenbendazole and How to use a digital scale

 
Last edited:

Quicklynx

Well-known member
Country flag
I'd like to add a few things to consider as well, as we are having the discussion about it on another thread.

DMSO is an amazing solvent, but you have to be VERY careful about using it properly. It is so strong that if you pool some in your hand, it will drip out the other side of our hand. PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS!

1. Please ensure you ONLY USE PHARMACEUTICAL GRADE DMSO. Please check the Safety Data Sheets of the product you are purchasing and ensure it does not contain Methanol. This will very likely kill your fish!

2. Keep the mindset when using this that whatever is in your water system can be absorbed into the fish.


While not dangerous by itself, being a very strong solvent. It will be absorbed by your fish. DMSO is miscible, and therefore, it will be present wherever the fish swim in your water system. While the intention to use it is to break down medication, it will break down anything that is in your water system once it is added. The caution here is if that whatever is in your tank at that time, once DMSO is added, it will be absorbed in the fish, and anything that is in the water column will also be absorbed into the fish. This includes bacteria, food breaking down, detritus, other medications present, etc..

I snipped this from the SDS from the Valhoma Corp Product... https://dmso.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/MSDS.pdf

Inhalation: If inhaled: Call a poison center or doctor if you feel unwell. Acute and delayed symptoms and effects: May cause respiratory irritation. Signs/symptoms may include cough, sneezing, nasal discharge, headache, hoarseness, and nose and throat pain. Exposure to high concentrations of Dimethyl sulfoxide could cause lowering of consciousness. Repeated exposure to DMSO vapors did not cause any irritation to the respiratory tract; however the exposure to high concentrations in the form of an aerosol induced an irritation of the upper airways after a repeated exposure.

Eye Contact: If in eyes: Rinse cautiously with water for at least 15 minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing. Call a poison center or doctor if you feel unwell. Acute and delayed symptoms and effects: May cause eye irritation. Signs/symptoms may include redness, swelling, pain, tearing, and blurred or hazy vision. DMSO is slightly irritating for the eye. In studies performed following the OECD 405 or the EEC method B.5, a slight to moderate conjunctival irritation, which cleared in 3 days, was observed in the eyes of rabbits. In humans, the instillation of solutions containing 50 to 100% DMSO has caused transient sensation of burning which was reversible within 24 hours.


Skin Contact: If on skin (or hair): Take off immediately all contaminated clothing. Rinse skin with water or shower. Call a poison center or doctor if you feel unwell. Acute and delayed symptoms and effects: May cause skin irritation. Signs/symptoms may include localized redness, swelling, and itching. Dimethyl sulfoxide may accelerate skin absorption of other materials. A skin irritation assay performed in rabbit (OECD 404) revealed no more than a very slight or well-defined erythema, which disappeared in 3 days.

Ingestion: If swallowed: Call a poison center or doctor if you feel unwell. If vomiting occurs naturally, have victim lean forward to reduce the risk of aspiration. Do NOT induce vomiting unless directed to do so by medical personnel. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Acute and delayed symptoms and effects: May cause gastrointestinal irritation. Signs/symptoms may include abdominal pain, stomach upset, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.


I highlighted what I believe would be very possible to expect from the fish if used.
 
Last edited:
1) I think this thread should be stickied.
2) All of what quicklynx is saying. Like, drugs are NOT to be played around with. Please please please do your research before purchasing DMSO, or any type of chemical. Always wear gloves when handling volatile solvents like this, and if possible do it in a well ventilated area with PPE (proper protective equipment) as needed. A lab coat is standard, as are lab goggles/glasses to prevent splashing into the eyes.
 

puffy127

Well-known member
Country flag
@Humblefish, did you change your previous recommendation of just adding a drop or 2 of DMSO? That video shows alot more than a drop or 2. Maybe that's why it never seemed to work for me.
 
Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Thread starter
Location
Wandering Nomad
Country flag
@Humblefish, did you change your previous recommendation of just adding a drop or 2 of DMSO? That video shows alot more than a drop or 2. Maybe that's why it never seemed to work for me.
Yeah, I think I was mixing up the amount I was using for food soaking vs. dissolving for dosing. Sorry about that. :whistle:
 

Randy

Member
Country flag
ok so i started my deworming yesterday with general cure powder but I didn't see the specifics on using DMSO to dissolve it beforehand until now. On dose 1 I just mixed it in a cup of tank water and then poured it in. also I missed the specific dosage that you have on here for the powder. instead i just followed the dosage that API general cure provides with their instructions which was one packet per 10 gallons. I have a 20 gallon QT. am I still ok? for the second dose I plan to get some DMSO and following your specific dosing instructions.
 

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Thread starter
Location
Wandering Nomad
Country flag
ok so i started my deworming yesterday with general cure powder but I didn't see the specifics on using DMSO to dissolve it beforehand until now. On dose 1 I just mixed it in a cup of tank water and then poured it in. also I missed the specific dosage that you have on here for the powder. instead i just followed the dosage that API general cure provides with their instructions which was one packet per 10 gallons. I have a 20 gallon QT. am I still ok? for the second dose I plan to get some DMSO and following your specific dosing instructions.
You should be fine. Prazi still dissolves in water, it just takes longer without a solvent and you risk one of the undissolved granules getting in the fish's gills.
 
So I threw together a couple of videos (below) to show how to use DMSO to dissolve medications which are not easily water soluble. These include API General Cure, praziquantel and fenbendazole. I buy DMSO (Dimethyl sulfoxide) at Tractor Supply in the horse (equestrian) products section: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/dmso-16-fl-oz (You want the liquid, NOT the gel.)

Praziquantel dosage range is 2.0-2.5 mg/L (7.57-9.5 mg/gal): Praziquantel

In his book, Noga states: "Immersion is more efficacious when praziquantel is dissolved in dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) rather than ethanol (Treves-Brown 2000)."

Fenbendazole dosage is 25 mg/L (95 mg/gallon) for 12 hours: Fenbendazole

(Sorry about the loud stirring noise.)

Using DMSO to dissolve praziquantel



Using DMSO to dissolve fenbendazole and How to use a digital scale

thank you, very helpful 👌
 

blackstallion

Active member
Country flag
@Dierks @Humblefish is the 1ml DMSO / 10mg of Fenbendazole for food soaking only OR for 12hr fish bath as well?

For the Thomas Fish Labs Bendazole, I used 760mg of medicine to get an equivalent 95mg of Fenbendazole, but, do I use 9.5ml of DMSO or 76ml to dissolve the medicine? I guess question is, if I overuse DMSO ie. 9.5ml vs 76ml, for a 1g bath, will it be harmful to the fish?

And I'm assuming a milky water is still expected even after using DMSO?

20210614_085144.jpg
 
Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Thread starter
Location
Wandering Nomad
Country flag
@Dierks @Humblefish is the 1ml DMSO / 10mg of Fenbendazole for food soaking only OR for 12hr fish bath as well?
I assume it could apply to both, but primarily to dissolve Fenbendazole before dosing it in water for the 12hr bath treatment.

I'll defer to @Dierks regarding your other questions, because he has more experiencing using Fenbendazole than I.
 

blackstallion

Active member
Country flag
I am working out exactly the best way to use DMSO, I think I have it nailed down. Take note that you should add RODI water to the DSMO at around 2/1 before dumping it into the tanks. Seems to help finish the work of dissolving. I will do a mini writeup as soon as I have it figured out!
I actually went ahead and put the fish into the 12hr bath this morning, so hopefully they'll be ok.
 
Top