Valentino Puffer

Jessican

Country flag
I had one and she was a fun fish, but they’re hit or miss as far as reef safe. Mine could be seen eyeballing snails that would “mysteriously” later disappear, and she had a taste for acans. Another type of toby puffer that I had was quite a fin nipper.

They are somewhat reef safe, but will sometimes eat crustaceans and even snails once they get around 3-4”

I think @DexterB has one in her reef.
Well all i can say is that when i had my porcupine snails seemed to go walkabouts lol and I don't think that they magically escaped my tank. Oh well it would be nice to hear her opinion :D @DexterB what is your puffer like? How do they interact with the other fish?

I had one and she was a fun fish, but they’re hit or miss as far as reef safe. Mine could be seen eyeballing snails that would “mysteriously” later disappear, and she had a taste for acans. Another type of toby puffer that I had was quite a fin nipper.
My puffer that I have just lost never touched my corals and I got him when he was a tiny puffer, I know what you mean about snails MIA lol we started with a lot in the tank then they diminished and i'm sure they didn't run off lol. Do you have any puffers at present?

Jessican

Country flag
My puffer that I have just lost never touched my corals and I got him when he was a tiny puffer, I know what you mean about snails MIA lol we started with a lot in the tank then they diminished and i'm sure they didn't run off lol. Do you have any puffers at present?
No, not anymore, I lost them both in the Great Velvet Wipeout of 2019. Maybe someday I’ll get another Valentini, but for now, I don’t want to risk my corals.

No, not anymore, I lost them both in the Great Velvet Wipeout of 2019. Maybe someday I’ll get another Valentini, but for now, I don’t want to risk my corals.
Oh i'm sorry you experienced that I know how hard it is when something wipes a tank i've lost quite a few of my favourites due to ich/velvet, I did look at your tanks though and i have to say they are very impressive!

DexterB

Country flag
Well all i can say is that when i had my porcupine snails seemed to go walkabouts lol and I don't think that they magically escaped my tank. Oh well it would be nice to hear her opinion :D @DexterB what is your puffer like? How do they interact with the other fish?
REEF-SAFE : (depends on individual)
My Valentini puffer does not bother any corals or inverts. But ...she is still a baby. As you can tell by the above posts, they vary individual puffer to puffer. Some nip corals, others don’t. Some go after inverts, others don’t. So you have to decide if you want to roll the dice & risk it.

I had a blue spot previously that left all snails alone. But he killed & ate a fire shrimp. He was a great fish, but no more shrimp after that.

My Valentini loves some thawed clam on the half shell, so obviously a live clam would not be safe with her (or several of my other fish).

TANKMATES
As far as other fish, they usually get along well. Toby puffers can “nip fins” ,but I have never had that issue. I suspect it would be in ‘self-defense’ & might happen when another fish tried to bully or take their food.
Most ppl I know , like me, have peaceful Toby puffers.

BEAK
A puffer’s front teeth continuously grow (like a rodent’s) so they need to gnaw on hard surfaces to keep their teeth from getting too long (also called their beak). I like to smash Masstick on empty shells, a piece of live rock etc to entice my pufferfish to gnaw on a hard surface (like it would in the ocean) to keep the beak trimmed. This is important. You have to monitor that their beak does not get too long. If it does they cannot eat.

Attachments

Big G

Country flag
IMG_1595.JPG This is one expensive fish. It was a perfect citizen for months, and then started eating corals like popcorn. It was a very sad day that I had to re-home it. Loved that fish. It liked to have its head rubbed. Who doesn't right? LOL

Dierks

HF Vendor
Country flag
I LOVE my Valentini puffer!! Such a great little fish! Mine loves to eat my snails... But I cant fault him for doing what he does as that is their nature. Henry cruises the tank and loves to show off to my wife. She is in love with that little guy as well. @DexterB has you pretty well covered for the care and info on them, but I have to admit He has become a favorite pretty quickly and almost everyone that comes over and looks in the tank falls in love with the little guy too. Great fish as long as you can deal with them eating snails and crabs, mine hasnt nipped at any coral.

IMG_20200626_141921.jpg

Here is Henry Checking out his new Roommates... They hang together all the time now :)

REEF-SAFE : (depends on individual)
My Valentini puffer does not bother any corals or inverts. But ...she is still a baby. As you can tell by the above posts, they vary individual puffer to puffer. Some nip corals, others don’t. Some go after inverts, others don’t. So you have to decide if you want to roll the dice & risk it.

I had a blue spot previously that left all snails alone. But he killed & ate a fire shrimp. He was a great fish, but no more shrimp after that.

My Valentini loves some thawed clam on the half shell, so obviously a live clam would not be safe with her (or several of my other fish).

TANKMATES
As far as other fish, they usually get along well. Toby puffers can “nip fins” ,but I have never had that issue. I suspect it would be in ‘self-defense’ & might happen when another fish tried to bully or take their food.
Most ppl I know , like me, have peaceful Toby puffers.

BEAK
A puffer’s front teeth continuously grow (like a rodent’s) so they need to gnaw on hard surfaces to keep their teeth from getting too long (also called their beak). I like to smash Masstick on empty shells, a piece of live rock etc to entice my pufferfish to gnaw on a hard surface (like it would in the ocean) to keep the beak trimmed. This is important. You have to monitor that their beak does not get too long. If it does they cannot eat.

Thank you for your very indepth reply, I have decided that I shall risk it and see what happens, what do you feed him apart from the clam? I know when I had my puffer I fed him prawns etc i'm still very much learning about how to look after puffers too and i don't want their beak to become too long as that's a worry! How would you even know if the beak is too long?

View attachment 5405 This is one expensive fish. It was a perfect citizen for months, and then started eating corals like popcorn. It was a very sad day that I had to re-home it. Loved that fish. It liked to have its head rubbed. Who doesn't right? LOL
OMG he was beautiful!!!! that was sad that he had to be re-homed but if he was eating your corals then you have to do what was right for your tank at the time, would you ever consider another puffer but a different variant? Head rubbing a puffer :O you are brave lol

I LOVE my Valentini puffer!! Such a great little fish! Mine loves to eat my snails... But I cant fault him for doing what he does as that is their nature. Henry cruises the tank and loves to show off to my wife. She is in love with that little guy as well. @DexterB has you pretty well covered for the care and info on them, but I have to admit He has become a favorite pretty quickly and almost everyone that comes over and looks in the tank falls in love with the little guy too. Great fish as long as you can deal with them eating snails and crabs, mine hasnt nipped at any coral.

View attachment 5413

Here is Henry Checking out his new Roommates... They hang together all the time now :)
That was like me and the porcupine I had, i grew very attached to him and he used to follow me all over the tank, when i used to put my finger out against the glass he would come and see what I was doing, he was awesome and I have never known a fish have so much personality! Henry looks pretty chill if I'm honest :) When I had my puffer they said he might nip the corals but nope he was never bothered by them although my snails did go MIA lol! What do you feed Henry?

Big G

Country flag
OMG he was beautiful!!!! that was sad that he had to be re-homed but if he was eating your corals then you have to do what was right for your tank at the time, would you ever consider another puffer but a different variant? Head rubbing a puffer :O you are brave lol
Maybe some day if I setup a fish only tank. Which would probably be a good idea as I am a well known "coral killer" LOL o_O ;) :p

Maybe some day if I setup a fish only tank. Which would probably be a good idea as I am a well known "coral killer" LOL o_O ;) :p
:eek::LOL: Coral killer lol well I have no idea how corals have thrived in the tank tbh because i'm a complete novice thank god the other half has an idea about caring for them lol

So everyone a question i've been having a look at sorting my new DT up and with putting puffers in there, i was speaking to someone earlier today and they had said that more so for the porcupine puffers benefit a drop of iodine should be placed in the tank every so often, @Humblefish have you ever heard of this at all? Of course if anyone else has experience with this then please do let me know because i'm eager to ensure I provide all of the right care for all of the fish!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
HF Vendor
Country flag
@firsttimeowner I’m not sure how true it is, but I‘ve read that iodine supplements are important to help keep your puffer's thyroid healthy. However, I would rather food soak iodine for this purpose as opposed to dosing it in the water (unless you are able to test your iodine levels). P.S. Nori contains a ton of iodine if you can get a puffer to eat that.

@firsttimeowner I’m not sure how true it is, but I‘ve read that iodine supplements are important to help keep your puffer's thyroid healthy. However, I would rather food soak iodine for this purpose as opposed to dosing it in the water (unless you are able to test your iodine levels). P.S. Nori contains a ton of iodine if you can get a puffer to eat that.
Hey thank you for your prompt response @Humblefish i'm always cautious about putting anything into the tank because I don't want things to happen to my other levels or get it to affect anything else in my tank. I think I should try getting my puffer to eat Nori first in that case and see how effective that is!