Velvet Damsel with disease

Users who are viewing this thread

King Kong

Country flag
I hv this demsel from 6 yrs. It got tail rot, fatty liver and breathing fast suddenly. When I feed it, it starts to shake it's head and only eat 1 pellet so I am feeding it prawns. Today I added it back to display from qt as I think it may not make it. Also, if u see the vedio,you'll notice white spots in it's fin, what is it? Is it injury or lympho? Also why is it breathing so fast?
Thx in advance!

Attachments

• 20230305_212445.mp4
    15.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

King Kong

Country flag
@King Kong Which fin has the white spots? I’m having a hard time seeing it in the video.
It's pictorial fin
Screenshot_20230306-001624_Gallery.jpg

King Kong

Country flag
That looks too large to be ich/velvet, athough flukes is a possibility: Flukes

Flukes in the gills would also explain the heavy breathing.

Another possibility is something like Lympho: Lymphocystis
I hv done fw dip but can't see anything. It is breathing heavy from almost 3 months. Most weird part is it has managed to be in fw dip for 15 min. I tried to cut it's feeding but it eats anything like small rocks pieces and even a cloth piece

King Kong

Country flag
No environmental problems? Like ammonia?
Ammonia is at 0. It raised last month but I hv fixed it. I hv shifted it for treatment for tailrot in qt but still I can't fix it's breathing. Tail rot has been fixed I think. Last week,it got these white spots which I assumed as sand but it is still there. I hv done fw dip. Here is R2R thread EMERGENCY - Demsel started breathing heavy again

Last edited:
Ammonia is at 0. It raised last month but I hv fixed it. I hv shifted it for treatment for tailrot in qt but still I can't fix it's breathing. Tail rot has been fixed I think. Last week,it got these white spots which I assumed as sand but it is still there. I hv done fw dip. Here is R2R thread EMERGENCY - Demsel started breathing heavy again
If this fish has previously been exposed to ammonia, then I would recommend a 30 min MB bath: Methylene Blue

King Kong

Country flag
Can I do anything so that it start to eat like it used to when it was normal? It is throwing food out of it's mouth may be coz of heavy breathing

King Kong

Country flag
I would just QT the damsel and hit it with some antibiotics just to see if any sort of bacterial issue is going on that may be treatable.
I hv done that for 1 month but it's breathing is getting worse and worse. It again started to loss tail today so will again qt it. If it stops eating or loss more tail, I think I would enthausize it

I hv done that for 1 month but it's breathing is getting worse and worse. It again started to loss tail today so will again qt it. If it stops eating or loss more tail, I think I would enthausize it

I have a small damsel that lost most of its tail. It did stop eating for a week or two. I had to aggressively treat it with antibiotics. It survived and eventually started eating again. It no longer really has a tail though swims fine and is a normal fish otherwise.

I used Nitrofuracin Green at what was probably triple strength tbh for 30 min dips, then back into QT. When I would move the damsel back I put a little iodine on the wound to try and topically treat it. Not sure if that is truly helpful but I had it on hand and felt it couldn’t hurt since I was already capturing and moving the fish.

I know I did it at least two weeks for treatment. Not sure if I went longer due to severity.

King Kong

Country flag
I have a small damsel that lost most of its tail. It did stop eating for a week or two. I had to aggressively treat it with antibiotics. It survived and eventually started eating again. It no longer really has a tail though swims fine and is a normal fish otherwise.

I used Nitrofuracin Green at what was probably triple strength tbh for 30 min dips, then back into QT. When I would move the damsel back I put a little iodine on the wound to try and topically treat it. Not sure if that is truly helpful but I had it on hand and felt it couldn’t hurt since I was already capturing and moving the fish.

I know I did it at least two weeks for treatment. Not sure if I went longer due to severity.
That happened with me also, my demsel had started eating but it's tail is getting worse and worse and is breathing really fast. it had lost more tail today. I hv shifted it to qt for now again as it is iching from rocks. I hv done fw dip but saw nothing