Question of the Day What is your most feared disease or parasite? (Fish or Coral)

Users who are viewing this thread

So what is your most feared parasite / disease and what are you doing to make sure your worst nightmare doesn't turn into a reality?

For me I would say Velvet is most feared for me. With about 40 fish (a bunch 6"-9") I could not afford to pull everyone and QT them. It would be hard for me to keep my tank going if it ever slipped into my DT. My son would be so heart broken (so would I).

Of course the way I'm keeping my nightmare parasite from becoming a reality is by not adding anything wet without proper QT. At times it really sucks because there are plenty of things wet that I would love to just throw in the tank but I cant risk it. Because of this my tank is almost completely FOWLR.

I do also run a large UV (90 watt) to help with nasty little things that could harm my little fish friends.

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Country flag
For me it's a bacterial infection: Bacterial Infections

Parasites/worms are at least pretty straightforward on how to treat. However, unless you can identify specific bacterium under a microscope (I can't) then it's impossible to know which antibiotic(s) to use to target it. The best we can do is dose a broad spectrum antibiotic (shotgun approach) and hope that fixes the problem. To make matters worse, antibiotics dosed in water are very slow acting (10-14 days to see results) and many times food soaking antibiotics does not work on external infections. The best way to apply antibiotics is via intramuscular injection, but IME this is only practical to do on larger fish. :eek:

I always did a observational QT for my fish at minimum for as long as I can remember. I always treated for flukes. I had fish die in QT with velvet and brook but never made it into the DT. I have had ich and flukes make it in though.

The worst experience was prazi resistant skin flukes or something like it. It made it into the DT since even though... I treated with prazi.. it was resistant. This was probably 8-10 years ago before I had all this information just a click away (I was not part of reef central or R2R). My fish were covered in flukes suddenly and prazi in the DT did nothing... I pulled them all out and added more and more prazi to the QT. I ended up dosing 3x the dose. It made my fish barf... ya I learned fish can barf. It killed my Coris Wrasse (was the only wrasse) but all other fish survived the high dose of prazi.

I went fallow 4 weeks and the fallow period failed. My fish looked great in QT but were covered again days after they went back into the DT. I don't even know how it is possible that there were so many so quick.

I honestly felt like I had some super fluke or maybe super flat worm (and not a typical fluke at all) that was preying on fish but maybe also living off the debris in the tank itself. I have no idea... it seemed like an alien.

I finally started to lose fish at this point as they must be being sucked dry by 100 little vampires. I ended up dosing the 3x dose prazi into the DT. This killed my clam and made my soft corals pissed and they went into hardcore warfare. The resulting warfare killed more corals (but not all). It did cure the problem and the hardier fish survive and maybe 70% of the corals survived. The pest corals faired the worst, It totally killed Cloves, Xenia, and Kenya trees although I am not sure if that was the high prazi or the corals chemically fighting but they went down fast.

I still have some coral from that tank (green nepthea and a hammer)... so I am sure I got those *******s but it was the stuff of nightmares.

Badilac

Country flag
I always did a observational QT for my fish at minimum for as long as I can remember. I always treated for flukes. I had fish die in QT with velvet and brook but never made it into the DT. I have had ich and flukes make it in though.

The worst experience was prazi resistant skin flukes or something like it. It made it into the DT since even though... I treated with prazi.. it was resistant. This was probably 8-10 years ago before I had all this information just a click away (I was not part of reef central or R2R). My fish were covered in flukes suddenly and prazi in the DT did nothing... I pulled them all out and added more and more prazi to the QT. I ended up dosing 3x the dose. It made my fish barf... ya I learned fish can barf. It killed my Coris Wrasse (was the only wrasse) but all other fish survived the high dose of prazi.

I went fallow 4 weeks and the fallow period failed. My fish looked great in QT but were covered again days after they went back into the DT. I don't even know how it is possible that there were so many so quick.

I honestly felt like I had some super fluke or maybe super flat worm (and not a typical fluke at all) that was preying on fish but maybe also living off the debris in the tank itself. I have no idea... it seemed like an alien.

I finally started to lose fish at this point as they must be being sucked dry by 100 little vampires. I ended up dosing the 3x dose prazi into the DT. This killed my clam and made my soft corals pissed and they went into hardcore warfare. The resulting warfare killed more corals (but not all). It did cure the problem and the hardier fish survive and maybe 70% of the corals survived. The pest corals faired the worst, It totally killed Cloves, Xenia, and Kenya trees although I am not sure if that was the high prazi or the corals chemically fighting but they went down fast.

I still have some coral from that tank (green nepthea and a hammer)... so I am sure I got those *******s but it was the stuff of nightmares.
Wow. Scary stuff for sure.

RonSwanson

Country flag
I hate internal parasites. It takes months to know if the treatment worked. Plus the fish refuses to eat your spiked food eventually...so I end up having multiple medicated foods. I just hate it. Did not have Uronema. People say that one is super wicked.

I think any of the coral pests that target a specific coral are just scary. Zoa spiders, monti nudis, and AEFW.

My first line of defense is trying to source coral from tanks that are also working to prevent pests. (I believe some vendors flip pieces fast enough to not care and no longer shop with them). Then I try to remove as much as possible besides the coral and then dip. I will make exceptions for this on rare occasions like pieces from a trusted local that I don’t remove the plug from, only dip.

I’m still very new to this and believe I’m taking multiple risks but it is a balance of my risk tolerance and what I am capable of doing. In the future I would love to have a garage or basement area where I could do a qt system for coral and try and keep my dt clean. But that would be later in my reefing career.

I think I would take more precautions if I faced an issue, but my dipping approach has been successful as far as I know.

Badilac

Country flag
I think any of the coral pests that target a specific coral are just scary. Zoa spiders, monti nudis, and AEFW.

My first line of defense is trying to source coral from tanks that are also working to prevent pests. (I believe some vendors flip pieces fast enough to not care and no longer shop with them). Then I try to remove as much as possible besides the coral and then dip. I will make exceptions for this on rare occasions like pieces from a trusted local that I don’t remove the plug from, only dip.

I’m still very new to this and believe I’m taking multiple risks but it is a balance of my risk tolerance and what I am capable of doing. In the future I would love to have a garage or basement area where I could do a qt system for coral and try and keep my dt clean. But that would be later in my reefing career.

I think I would take more precautions if I faced an issue, but my dipping approach has been successful as far as I know.
Sounds like you are taking some good steps I would just be on the look out for Vermetid snails! They are the worst! they cog up plumbing and everything. I HATE THEM!

Sounds like you are taking some good steps I would just be on the look out for Vermetid snails! They are the worst! they cog up plumbing and everything. I HATE THEM!
Yeah they would be my influence towards the whole qt system. I have tried to prevent them from coming over during the tank swaps I’ve done but still have them. I unmounted and cut down plugs on everything, dipped and put them into a holding tank before putting them into my new tank. Still saw the stupid 💩 spirals on my rocks. I have bumblebee snails now that seem to be working well, 4 in a 30 gal. They kill the vermitid but leave the tubes behind but no snot nets is a win for me.

That transfer process did seem to work for aiptasia and I have not seen them since transferring. But they’re probably just out of sight planning their attack

RonSwanson

Country flag
Speaking of Vermetid snails...I finally got a laser and burned a bunch of them in my tank last night. A few suggestions: 1. Buy certified safety glasses on Amazon with ANSI certification. I used unbranded ones that came with the laser and that made me light headed after a while looking at the light. 2. Don’t have anyone else in the room when you’re using that laser. It’s just bouncing in random places when your hands shake while you’re aiming. Not as bad as it sounds though. You can turn it off as soon as you feel something is stinging your hand from light reflection. It doesn’t instantly burn a hole.
It worked very well. I only did that for the snails that I couldn’t reach under the rock. Most I clipped off with heavy duty tweezers and the rest with laser.

Attachments

• 9282F010-73FB-40A9-BBEA-72FA2DA0C721.jpeg
    9282F010-73FB-40A9-BBEA-72FA2DA0C721.jpeg
    274.9 KB · Views: 11

OZ_SPS

Country flag
Speaking of Vermetid snails...I finally got a laser and burned a bunch of them in my tank last night. A few suggestions: 1. Buy certified safety glasses on Amazon with ANSI certification. I used unbranded ones that came with the laser and that made me light headed after a while looking at the light. 2. Don’t have anyone else in the room when you’re using that laser. It’s just bouncing in random places when your hands shake while you’re aiming. Not as bad as it sounds though. You can turn it off as soon as you feel something is stinging your hand from light reflection. It doesn’t instantly burn a hole.
It worked very well. I only did that for the snails that I couldn’t reach under the rock. Most I clipped off with heavy duty tweezers and the rest with laser.
Man this laser thing is crazy..lol I do not believe it work on any of these pests that its advertised for. But I might be wrong. Keep us posted.

edwarb17

Country flag
Uronema. The concept of something surviving indefinitely in a fallow tank for me is horrifying. God forbid that ever enters my display, I would spend every waking moment staring down my tank asking myself if my fish was displaying symptoms of infection.

*shudders*

kenchilada

Country flag
Uronema. The concept of something surviving indefinitely in a fallow tank for me is horrifying. God forbid that ever enters my display, I would spend every waking moment staring down my tank asking myself if my fish was displaying symptoms of infection.

*shudders*
I read on R2R uronema is ubiquitous and present always. 🤷‍♂️ I really don’t know what to think about that but uro is scary!

Bacterial infection scares me because it takes so many forms and I don’t understand the medications very well.

edwarb17

Country flag
I read on R2R uronema is ubiquitous and present always. 🤷‍♂️ I really don’t know what to think about that but uro is scary!

Bacterial infection scares me because it takes so many forms and I don’t understand the medications very well.
Yeah, bacterial infection is second on my list. And not just due to the fact that even experts like humble can't identify the strain readily and easily, but the fact that bacterial infections are (luckily) something I've never had to try to wrestle with. At least ich is something I've had experience treating.

kenchilada

Country flag
Yeah, bacterial infection is second on my list. And not just due to the fact that even experts like humble can't identify the strain readily and easily, but the fact that bacterial infections are (luckily) something I've never had to try to wrestle with. At least ich is something I've had experience treating.
I have a big super-fat healthy CBB conditioning in QT now, about to try chloroquine on him and I am just terrified of bacterial infection. He requires such heavy feeding, and I don’t know if he will like daily Cipro baths if it comes to that.

I desperately want to get this guy through QT so wish me luck!