What to buy to indentify Algae?

Badilac

Country flag
So I have some sort of Algae growing that I would like to identify for proper treatment. So which microscope should I buy? I don't need the best scope, I just want something that will get the job done. Anyone got some Amazon links to a decent noob user friendly unit?

Thanks

mggray87

Dino man
Country flag
My girl bought me a pretty cool scope off Amazon that's pretty nice. I'm super happy with it. More than enough magnification. She wanted one to be able to look at blood cells. So she paid. I wasn't gonna complain!

Badilac

Country flag
My girl bought me a pretty cool scope off Amazon that's pretty nice. I'm super happy with it. More than enough magnification. She wanted one to be able to look at blood cells. So she paid. I wasn't gonna complain!

Yeah that’s a sweet unit but way over my budget

Tony R.

Country flag
For those who don't mind a wee bit of a gamble and some TLC, government lab surplus or university labs usually have quality microscopes for 1/100th of their retail price. They usually come with a service log as well which would indicate their last cleaning/tuning. Generally its also simple to focus and clean optics with a small amount of time watching some how-to videos. Typically these scopes are out of the budget of the average consumer when new, but a home refurb one will blow away most of the cheap consumer scopes. One such brand to keep an eye out for is Motic, great quality for a reasonable price, typically one could be had second hand for cheap.

I highly recommend Trinocular scopes, it has binocular eye pieces for ease of viewing but also another third optic for the attachment of mounts to accommodate fancy CCD cameras, DSLRs, or even phones.

Lab use scopes also have the advantage of being modular and accommodating new optics and the sort very easily. Make sure to invest in lens paper for maintenance as well as cover slips and immersion oil for your prepared wet mount slides to really take advantage of the immersion objectives. Even a simple stain like bromophenol blue could be very helpful to viewing difficult to discern cell boundaries.

huntindoc

Country flag
This is the one I got. Super basic, but it was plenty to rule out what I thought was dinos and to see some parasites:

AmScope M150C-I 40X-1000X All-Metal Optical Glass Lenses Cordless LED Student Biological Compound Microscope

I also recommend getting this, it makes it way easier to take photos and video:

Vankey Cellphone Telescope Adapter Mount
That's the one I have and it does a good job. Thanks for the phone mount link! Definitely will try to get one of those.