Which mantis to get?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jessican

Sheriff
Country flag
This section needs more threads :)

After moving the clownfish harem to the big tank, I’ve revamped my Reefer 170 in preparation for a mantis shrimp (don’t worry, the urchin has been rehomed, since I don’t know if the mantis will like uni!):
C857D8D4-0155-4119-971D-368248B0B0E6.jpeg

2EEC55C0-93C3-41F5-9D41-F323498912D9.jpeg

306CCCA1-AE7B-45B0-B5A2-026FB50075B6.jpeg

Question is, which mantis to start with? Everybody loves the peacock mantis (O. scyllarus), but they get quite big and I worry a little bit about the glass, plus I know they’re prone to shell rot. Also, I’m hoping to keep a few fast fish (sixline wrasse for flatworms, a neon dottyback for color, and maybe a couple damsels) in there, and although these are smashers, I’ve sometimes read that they can’t be trusted anyway just because of their size.

A couple other options I was considering and my thoughts on them:
  • Orange spot mantis (G. ternatensis) - a little smaller than a peacock at max 5”, but I’ve read about sketchy collection methods with these, and Roy Caldwell has said he’s had some trouble keeping these alive longer than a couple months.
  • Purple spot mantis (G. smithii) - this is apparently Roy’s favorite mantis, but at a max size of 3”, I feel like it would get lost in a system this size.
  • Caribbean rock mantis (N. wennerae) - another highly recommended one for being hardy and active, but also very small, so same concern as the smithii.
  • Tiger mantis (G. chiragra) - LiveAquaria often has these in Diver’s Den, but Roy says they’re not very interactive.
There are some others, but they’re listed as not very hardy/more difficult to keep or on the reclusive side, and I’d really like one that is more interactive. Opinions?

The Gob

Country flag
Havanensis is another option to consider-- https://www.kpaquatics.com/product/mantis-shrimp-odontodactylus-havanensis/ As active/interactive as the Peacock without the drawbacks. On par with the Purple Spot ime. I'd skip the Peacock due to tanks footprint but if you get one be aware that it is going to move every frag/smallish rock that isn't glued to something stationary.

Skip the Chiragra-- you will never see it other than the few seconds it darts out to grab food.

Jessican

Sheriff
Country flag
Havanensis is another option to consider-- https://www.kpaquatics.com/product/mantis-shrimp-odontodactylus-havanensis/ As active/interactive as the Peacock without the drawbacks. On par with the Purple Spot ime. I'd skip the Peacock due to tanks footprint but if you get one be aware that it is going to move every frag/smallish rock that isn't glued to something stationary.

Skip the Chiragra-- you will never see it other than the few seconds it darts out to grab food.
I thought about those - are they fairly hardy? Roy has them listed as “fair”. And you don’t think a 3” mantis would get lost in this tank?

I thought peacocks only required ~100l? Or is it because the 170 is more of a cube vs something like a 40B?

The Gob

Country flag
The active/interactive are always out and about exploring/working on tunnel entrances. I kept a Havanensis in a 3' 65 and it was always out and about. It did make it's way into the overflow a number of times though. The fair rating is because you need to stay on top of water quality or they won't last long.

Not sure if pic will work. My old Havanensis.
F6ACC54E-3BDF-4CCF-AA90-509917984E0B_zps8km0udst.jpg

Peacocks need a larger footprint for their tunnel network and room to explore-- part of the active/interactive aspect of Roys list. Rectangular tanks are better for the larger smashers.

Jessican

Sheriff
Country flag
The active/interactive are always out and about exploring/working on tunnel entrances. I kept a Havanensis in a 3' 65 and it was always out and about. It did make it's way into the overflow a number of times though. The fair rating is because you need to stay on top of water quality or they won't last long.

Not sure if pic will work. My old Havanensis.
F6ACC54E-3BDF-4CCF-AA90-509917984E0B_zps8km0udst.jpg

Peacocks need a larger footprint for their tunnel network and room to explore-- part of the active/interactive aspect of Roys list. Rectangular tanks are better for the larger smashers.
Okay that makes sense. Thank you for the input!

Jessican

Sheriff
Country flag
@The Gob if I were to go with one of the small species, such as G. smithii or N. wennerae, is it possible to keep two in the same tank? Or are they “fight to the death” types of critters even if they have a lot of space?

I’m pretty sure I know the answer to this, but figured I’d ask anyway. 😂

Jessican

Sheriff
Country flag

Jessican

Sheriff
Country flag
Blue Zoo ended up getting a G. smithii in stock, so I jumped on it. He’ll be here Friday, and I’ve already decided that his name will be Ralph, because he’s gonna wreck it 😂

Jessican

Sheriff
Country flag