Question of the Day Which side of the tank does the overflow go on?

Which side of the tank does the overflow go on?

• Left side.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Right side.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Middle of tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Middle of back wall.

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Coast to Coast.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Left and Right side.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never overflowed my tank as I always measure the correct amount of water.

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

andrewkw

Country flag
It goes where you want it to go unless you buy a premade tank then it goes where it came.

My 90 gallon tank has the overflow on the left side pane because of where it went in my old house. It's no longer custom to my house since I don't live there anymore but it works fine here. My 112 has a built in overflow box on the back right side - this is how the the tank came. My frag tank has an overflow on the center of the side panel because I set it up as a peninsula. My hexagon tank has the overflow dead center of the tank so it could be viewed from all 5 sides if I wanted. I think probably if I had an unlimited budget not just for the tank but for the room it would be with center style overflows and viewable from all sides, but a more realistic dream is a peninsula style tank with an overflow on the short side.

Jposch

Leather Lover
QT Fish Vendor
Country flag
I have a peninsula as well. Mounting gyres vertically on the back wall is the best option.
the way my stand is, there is a sheet of wood that runs along the back wall, so i have to carefully put magents down with a coat hanger. lol I also have alot of mudrooms, and they seem to get blasted whenever I try to increase overall flow. :/

the way my stand is, there is a sheet of wood that runs along the back wall, so i have to carefully put magents down with a coat hanger. lol I also have alot of mudrooms, and they seem to get blasted whenever I try to increase overall flow. :/
Same...Flow doesn't need to be powerful. Having softer flow with randomness is better

IMO, it really depends on what your flow pattern is like. If you're setting up your returns to go on two ends of the tank, with flow on two ends of the tank, then in the middle. Why though? Getting the crap off the top is a nice feature of the overflow, but also having things perpetually funneled into it as far as excess food, detritus, etc. If you have a single return drilled in, my opinion is place the overflow as far away as possible (I don't typically follow this because i'm lame and just do what I'm able to with what I've got). That way your filtered water lingers as long as posible if your flow, for some reason or another, isn't just shoving it right back down without an appropriate opportunity to get spread throughout the tank. Accessiblity to gate/ball valves however is another thing entirely...

Hey whatever gets you what you want is what I say. I've had both back corners, centered, hanging off the back, and stretching the entire length of the back wall. They all work. I think if you're planning out where you're putting the tank i.e. space behind to reach pipes etc. you can pick what you need now. Just as long as it works and I can get a fish out if need be. 🙃