Question of the Day Why dont you quarantine if you don’t

Users who are viewing this thread

najer

Spam Meister!
Country flag
England calling, the supply chain to us is different and disease is way less common over here, I trust my lfs implicitly and when the bag is floated to temp. and water is cupped in until I feel right and then the bag gets slowly upended and the fish swim out, way less stress.
It might bite me in the butt at some point but I'll face that if I have to.
I do have a fully running 13.5G that small or skinny fish go in to get conditioned if needed.

OverinThailand

Country flag
The fish here have a much shorter route through the supply chain so on average they're much healthier because of a stronger immune system due to less stress. Although there's always a risk, I've had much better luck without quarantining that with. However I am a believer in a short observational QT period to make sure the fish will eat what you plan to feed it and isn't exhibiting any abnormal behavior.

Jposch

Leather Lover
General Livestock
Vendor
Country flag
I buy captive bred fish or QTd fish and use ozone, I'd like to think I have reduced risk. I've purchased QTd fish as I don't have the space, time, or desire to setup QT tanks. I don't think I'd come out ahead money, time, or result wise doing it myself.
This is what I think is the best. Qt or buy QTd, and also have a management system in place as well.

This is what I think is the best. Qt or buy QTd, and also have a management system in place as well.
+1 But realize that a management system is something that you actually have to implement (and maintain). So many people think they can just drop un-quarantined fish into a tank, and either get lucky or have the same "magic" as the person telling them not to QT. If they actually spent a day with their idol around their tank, they would realize he/she is practicing all sorts of different disease management techniques. Whether they realize it or not.

Dierks

FisHotel Concierge
Quarantined Livestock
Vendor
Country flag
I do not QT my Corals... I take the risk. I do have a backup plan if something were to happen but so far I have only had to dose H2O2 Once and I did it out of caution as I felt something was starting up in the system.

Vette67

Doing this reef thing since 1997
Country flag
The last couple of times I have QT’d myself, it turned out good. In the past, it was the dump and pray method. There was not much out there on proper QT procedure back in the day. But honestly, in the past, I didn’t have many problems with parasites. Methods for QT are much more refined and meaningful now, based on the work of this sites founder. But it is getting to the point that I just don’t want to do this anymore. So I will probably be trying out the pre quarantined fish vendors so that I know I won’t be introducing anything that I shouldn’t.

I think sometimes what gets lost in the quarantining vs. not quarantining debate is asking yourself this very simple question: Are my animals thriving or just surviving? (Be honest with yourself, no one else needs to know.)

If your animals are thriving, just keep doing whatever it is you are doing. Quarantine or no QT.

But if they're just surviving, start doing some research and implement some changes until you get to where they are thriving.

saf1

Country flag
I think sometimes what gets lost in the quarantining vs. not quarantining debate is asking yourself this very simple question: Are my animals thriving or just surviving? (Be honest with yourself, no one else needs to know.)

If your animals are thriving, just keep doing whatever it is you are doing. Quarantine or no QT.

I've always felt if the fish have full bellies and the corals are doing coral things to include spawning if that is common in home aquaria then I'm successful. We all start at day one and end up at day X.

Only yardstick I have.

gp!

Country flag
I do not QT my Corals... I take the risk. I do have a backup plan if something were to happen but so far I have only had to dose H2O2 Once and I did it out of caution as I felt something was starting up in the system.

I don't think I would have admitted to that if I were you! :ROFLMAO:

Dierks

FisHotel Concierge
Quarantined Livestock
Vendor
Country flag
I don't think I would have admitted to that if I were you! :ROFLMAO:
Why not?? I am an open book!

Graphic Novel Reading GIF by HannahWitton

lucidblue

Country flag
I will be buying QT'd fish going forward and I have a list of them ready. I didn't even know that option existed until I found this forum. I realized after one fish I don't have time or desire to QT myself. I'll be saving all that equipment for a hospital tank, since I would definitely make the time to treat a sick fish. I'm currently reading up on what I can to build up the immune systems of my fish... it's something I do for myself and hadn't thought about it for fish until reading some of Paul B's posts and watching the interview with him.

I wish I could find more QT'd inverts! I'm going to find a more aesthetically pleasing tank to QT coral and inverts since it takes a long time and I'll be looking at it every day in my office. I